Naval / Maritime Achievements - Is that really the root cause of exceptional cultures

2,890 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jickyjack1
HollywoodBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Alright, I'm an Army guy who grew up as a construction brat in Alaska and Saudi Arabia. This means that I understand oil, building stuff, glaciers, sand dunes and fishing. I have no real comprehension of Naval warfare and maritime shipping for trade so I'm hoping the TexAgs History Board can educate me. Here's what happened today that sparked my curiosity.

I went to the recently remodeled local shopping mall today. I saw that they had put in a huge play structure for kids that was Viking ship themed complete with cartoonish depictions of happy looking Vikings. Not the rape, pillage and plunder version of Vikings. I live in Australia so they can depict white only characters with minimal fear of complaints. Frankly, I was shocked to see pictures of these Vikings that look like myself - long blond hair, blue eyes, etc. So, this got me to thinking about ships and which cultures went to sea.

We hear so much in the world today about white supremacy, male domination, etc. So what hit me with the Vikings is that they went to sea and even went so far as to allegedly reach North America 1,000 years ago. Obviously there were many mariners in the Mediterranean dating back to before the time of Jesus Christ 2,000 years ago. And European colonization of the Americas, Africa and South Asia started over 500 years ago.

While everybody has fishing boats which operate close to shore in local waters, it was really the Mediterranean and European cultures who first took long voyages at sea. And from these long voyages, they brought back items for trade, discoveries, knowledge, etc. Obviously in some cases, they just raped, pillaged and plundered.

Anyway, I'd be interested to know what your thoughts are. I used to believe that things like reading, writing, education, etc. were the keys to cultural advancement. Obviously physical security and a stable food supply (agrarian advancements) are probably precursors to all of that. Now, I'm wondering if naval power and maritime trade weren't the biggest historical catalyst for cultural progression.
Apache
AG
Quote:

Vikings is that they went to sea and even went so far as to allegedly reach North America 1,000 years ago.
It's not alleged, they have found settlements.
Anyway, maritime trade was huge as it drove European discovery & settlement throughout the world. The discovery of the New World & Columbian exchange is probably the biggest event in the history of mankind, at least one of the top 5.

It should be noted that China had larger & more advanced ships and was fully capable of making the journey the west coast of North America. The emperor pulled the plug after they sailed all over the Indian Ocean. Thank God for us that they were so insular in their thinking that they didn't find anything on their journeys they thought they needed... there could be 5 billion Chinese in the world instead of 1-2.
BQ78
AG
The Tamils, the Polynisians, Phonecians and Arabs beg to differ on the Mediterranean and Northern Europe thing.
Solo Tetherball Champ
JJMt said:

A lot of people have believed that seapower is one of the most critical aspects to history. Alfred Thayer Mahan is the most well known proponent of that thesis. See, e.g., https://study.com/academy/lesson/the-influence-of-sea-power-upon-history-summary.html

However, that begs the question as to why certain countries developed sea power and others didn't. Geography obviously plays a critical role. However, religion and world view do as well. It's interesting to note that in Europe, although the southern Catholic countries started with the largest navies, the smaller northern Protestant countries ended up being the dominant sea powers. My guess is that their Protestant world view contributed to a decentralized form of government, which favored free enterprise and free trade, which led to a strong private, merchant fleet, which led to a strong navy that also allowed autonomous command.

Anyway, that's a long discussion for another day. Your question is a great question, though.

Europe can accurately be described as a peninsula of peninsulas, so sea trade has been an important aspect of European culture for a long time.

When Europeans decided that they wanted goods/spices from India without having to deal with the Middle Eastern middleman, they already had the culture in place to attempt the voyages of discovery by either sailing west or sailing south around Africa. Not to say that either of those feats were not incredible for their time, but there was already a strong, maritime culture in place in Europe to make such an attempt feasible.
HollywoodBQ
AG
BQ78 said:

The Tamils, the Polynisians, Phonecians and Arabs beg to differ on the Mediterranean and Northern Europe thing.
I don't know anything about the Tamil seafaring history.
Phonecians I'd lump in with Mediterranean.

If you ever get to Auckland, New Zealand, there is a great sailing museum in the Inner Harbour Viaduct area. They've got old ships and history from Polynesian sailors. It's very interesting.

Back to my OP observation, when the First Fleet arrived in Australia in 1788, the Aboriginals offered very little resistance against England. On the other hand, the Maoris in New Zealand kept killing the Brits until they cried Uncle and made a truce. The Polynesians were accomplished sailors even if their craft were primitive.

My experience with Arab ships in my hometown was with Dhow ships going out for fishing or tourism. But I lived on the East Coast of Saudi Arabia. On the West Coast - Jeddah was very developed by Saudi standards. Jeddah of course was a major port on the Suez canal trade route. On my side of the country, Dammam would be the largest port but it was nothing compared to Jeddah.
IDAGG
AG
JJMt said:

A lot of people have believed that seapower is one of the most critical aspects to history. Alfred Thayer Mahan is the most well known proponent of that thesis. See, e.g., https://study.com/academy/lesson/the-influence-of-sea-power-upon-history-summary.html

However, that begs the question as to why certain countries developed sea power and others didn't. Geography obviously plays a critical role. However, religion and world view do as well. It's interesting to note that in Europe, although the southern Catholic countries started with the largest navies, the smaller northern Protestant countries ended up being the dominant sea powers. My guess is that their Protestant world view contributed to a decentralized form of government, which favored free enterprise and free trade, which led to a strong private, merchant fleet, which led to a strong navy that also allowed autonomous command.

Anyway, that's a long discussion for another day. Your question is a great question, though.
Maybe sorta. The new world was first discovered/ by Vikings in the 10th century. L'Anse Aux Meadows in Newfoundland is a verified Viking Settlement. The new world was first explored and developed by Spain and Portugal, both southern European Catholic countries. And Christopher Columbus was an Italian sailing in service of Spain. And the sailing routes in India and the spice trade was also pioneered by the Portuguese.

I will leave it to others to determine why England wound up as the dominant sea power. It could be form of government. Amount of focus on seapower etc.
Post removed:
by user
WestAustinAg
AG
JJMt said:

Quote:

The new world was first explored and developed by Spain and Portugal, both southern European Catholic countries. And Christopher Columbus was an Italian sailing in service of Spain. And the sailing routes in India and the spice trade was also pioneered by the Portuguese.
Yep, an interesting question is why the southern European Catholic countries did not follow up on their early advantages in sea power and trade, but surrendered their lead to much smaller countries such as England and Holland.
Columbus discovering the Americas is just one step in a long line of sailing adventurers who had gradually sailed farther and farther down the African west coast.

I believe that those countries who were willing to spend the most in hopes of finding more gold or resources (people to enslave) were the countries that eclipsed the countries that navigated so much of the world earlier.

One last item - aren't we forgetting the huge navy that China created - navigating as far west as Africa (for sure). They did this long before other countries did this - but one emperor burned the fleet and decided to turn the countries attention to internal matters.
Sapper Redux
JJMt said:

Except the Spanish and Portuguese spent 200 years as the naval powerhouses of Europe. And the French didn't fall behind the British until the very late 18th century. What pushed western Europe to the sea was the land monopoly of trade routes by the Ottomans. It's an interesting question, the role of seapower in history.
aalan94
AG
Howdy folks. Just got back from Afghanistan, so getting on here again. A lot of good things have been raised, but let me address a couple of key points I think should be brought into discussion.

1. It's not maritime, so much as trade, that drove successful nations. Trade is, and has always been, the key source of wealth, and therefore of power. Trade is often maritime, but not always.
2. China developed a large empire with sophisticated road networks, river travel, etc. So they basically got the trade internally (to some degree, this is what fueled the U.S. internal development after the constitution).
3. Just about every war is ultimately about trade or has a serious trade undertone. Crusades? Ha, you just thought it was about Christianity. No, the real reason is that the growth of Islam shut down the Silk Road. So the Europeans went to war to open up this vital trade network and they ultimately failed. So they took an end-run around the blockage to the East by sailing West. Hence the development of North America.
4. The Vikings are proof that mere navigation doesn't make you powerful. Yes, they were feared and robbed, plundered, etc. but theirs was a fragile society that could not really build up anything enduring.
5. The original poster (or someone else, can't recall), dismissed the Phoenecians and just lumped them in with the Mediterranean. The problem is that the Mediterranean cultures were very different, particularly the Phoenecians. But they did all benefit from trade.
6. Coming off this last point, it's not necessarily the ships, but the speed, that makes trade so powerful. Generally through history, shipping is dramatically cheaper than land routes, but not always when you add in pirates, poor navigation equipment, etc.
7. As for why the Catholic countries, with the early lead, surrendered it to the smaller countries, there are a few interesting points. The Spanish and Portuguese hit the lottery, and as any lottery winner proves, winning the lottery makes you fat and happy. It also makes you lazy. They turned their efforts to extracting minerals, which is not in and of itself a bad thing, but it only gives you wealth, not trade. That's like a government stimulus program, just dumps money into the economy, but doesn't create the ripple effects that true economic development does. Spain (and I've been focusing on this for the last year or so) was purely exploitive and did nothing to develop its colonies as markets for anything but luxury goods for the wealthy planters.
England, on the other hand, rolled the dice and got crap. Its colonies had no wealth, so they had to create it, which they did more because they were left alone than because England invested in them.
8. Holland has a lot of interesting things going on. Not the least of which is a large Jewish populations. For lots of real reasons (in addition to the conspiracy theory ones), Jews have always been leaders in trade. That and the country's natural facing towards the sea was very important in developing their trade.
9. Continental countries lacked the unity of China (except France) to develop internal trade, and it stunted their growth. As France started being outstripped by England in trade, they sought to create a continental system of trade to compete. Ultimately it failed because it was created at the point of a bayonet and in hostile opposition to England, which responded by blockading it.

I'd probably summarize thusly: Mahan is right to a point. Maritime power is a very important means to an end, but it's not the end. Trade is the end.
Post removed:
by user
Apache
AG
Quote:

4. The Vikings are proof that mere navigation doesn't make you powerful. Yes, they were feared and robbed, plundered, etc. but theirs was a fragile society that could not really build up anything enduring.
Excellent post, but I gotta take issue with this one. The Vikings, strictly speaking, didn't build up anything. They were master traders for sure... skins from Greenland were sold in Constantinople. However, it wasn't until the Vikings began to settle down they came into their own. I suppose the argument is sort of semantics... is a Viking that quits living a life of raiding & pillaging still a Viking?

Case in point: the Vikings seized the northern coastline area of France, intermarried with the local Frankish population & voila... became something referred to as the Normans. (Slang for "Northmen") The Normans conquered Sicily & half of Italy and set up an important trading kingdom there. From there they fought both with and against the Byzantine Empire & virtually everyone else in the region. The first Crusade was led by a Norman.... and there was the whole Norman invasion of England thing. Ireland also fell under their sway. Everywhere they went they absorbed the local culture creating something new.

The Viking are similar to the Mongols in this aspect. Master warriors & traders, but on their own they weren't that impressive in terms of legacy or culture. Add a little Viking or Mongol to your China, your India, your Sicily, your England... and you get something pretty special.

You might say they are the "Gin" in your "Tonic & Lime". On their own, unpalatable and harsh. With the right mix, it becomes something altogether different.

Apache
AG
PS: Glad you made it back safe. Just in time for a Cruz victory, no less.
BQ78
AG
Quote:

is a Viking that quits living a life of raiding & pillaging still a Viking?
No, they are a Scandinavian.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Apache said:

Quote:

Excellent post, but I gotta take issue with this one. The Vikings, strictly speaking, didn't build up anything. They were master traders for sure... skins from Greenland were sold in Constantinople. However, it wasn't until the Vikings began to settle down they came into their own. I suppose the argument is sort of semantics... is a Viking that quits living a life of raiding & pillaging still a Viking?

Case in point: the Vikings seized the northern coastline area of France, intermarried with the local Frankish population & voila... became something referred to as the Normans. (Slang for "Northmen") The Normans conquered Sicily & half of Italy and set up an important trading kingdom there. From there they fought both with and against the Byzantine Empire & virtually everyone else in the region. The first Crusade was led by a Norman.... and there was the whole Norman invasion of England thing. Ireland also fell under their sway. Everywhere they went they absorbed the local culture creating something new.

The Viking are similar to the Mongols in this aspect. Master warriors & traders, but on their own they weren't that impressive in terms of legacy or culture. Add a little Viking or Mongol to your China, your India, your Sicily, your England... and you get something pretty special.

You might say they are the "Gin" in your "Tonic & Lime". On their own, unpalatable and harsh. With the right mix, it becomes something altogether different.

Viking were the ultimate illegal immigrants. Come in, conquer, rape and pillage, like how the locals are living and the environment, set up settlements and conveniently assimilate into the local culture to where you couldn't tell them from the locals even down to their language and religion. The History Channel's "Vikings" picks up on this rather well. But that is why you don't see "Viking culture" in Normandie, England, Russia and other places that they settled.
jickyjack1

cbr
AG
WestAustinAg said:

JJMt said:

Quote:

The new world was first explored and developed by Spain and Portugal, both southern European Catholic countries. And Christopher Columbus was an Italian sailing in service of Spain. And the sailing routes in India and the spice trade was also pioneered by the Portuguese.
Yep, an interesting question is why the southern European Catholic countries did not follow up on their early advantages in sea power and trade, but surrendered their lead to much smaller countries such as England and Holland.
Columbus discovering the Americas is just one step in a long line of sailing adventurers who had gradually sailed farther and farther down the African west coast.

I believe that those countries who were willing to spend the most in hopes of finding more gold or resources (people to enslave) were the countries that eclipsed the countries that navigated so much of the world earlier.

One last item - aren't we forgetting the huge navy that China created - navigating as far west as Africa (for sure). They did this long before other countries did this - but one emperor burned the fleet and decided to turn the countries attention to internal matters.
Just like we've done with our sciences, engineering, and space programs just to waste everything on social bull**** and the lowest denomimator. The future is dim.
jickyjack1
JJMt said:

Quote:

Did they surrender them or have then wrested from them?
Post removed:
by user
Aggie12B
AG
aalan94 said:

Howdy folks. Just got back from Afghanistan, so getting on here again. A lot of good things have been raised, but let me address a couple of key points I think should be brought into discussion.

1. It's not maritime, so much as trade, that drove successful nations. Trade is, and has always been, the key source of wealth, and therefore of power. Trade is often maritime, but not always.
2. China developed a large empire with sophisticated road networks, river travel, etc. So they basically got the trade internally (to some degree, this is what fueled the U.S. internal development after the constitution).
3. Just about every war is ultimately about trade or has a serious trade undertone. Crusades? Ha, you just thought it was about Christianity. No, the real reason is that the growth of Islam shut down the Silk Road. So the Europeans went to war to open up this vital trade network and they ultimately failed. So they took an end-run around the blockage to the East by sailing West. Hence the development of North America.
5. The original poster (or someone else, can't recall), dismissed the Phoenecians and just lumped them in with the Mediterranean. The problem is that the Mediterranean cultures were very different, particularly the Phoenecians. But they did all benefit from trade.
6. Coming off this last point, it's not necessarily the ships, but the speed, that makes trade so powerful. Generally through history, shipping is dramatically cheaper than land routes, but not always when you add in pirates, poor navigation equipment, etc.
7. As for why the Catholic countries, with the early lead, surrendered it to the smaller countries, there are a few interesting points. The Spanish and Portuguese hit the lottery, and as any lottery winner proves, winning the lottery makes you fat and happy. It also makes you lazy. They turned their efforts to extracting minerals, which is not in and of itself a bad thing, but it only gives you wealth, not trade. That's like a government stimulus program, just dumps money into the economy, but doesn't create the ripple effects that true economic development does. Spain (and I've been focusing on this for the last year or so) was purely exploitive and did nothing to develop its colonies as markets for anything but luxury goods for the wealthy planters.
England, on the other hand, rolled the dice and got crap. Its colonies had no wealth, so they had to create it, which they did more because they were left alone than because England invested in them.
8. Holland has a lot of interesting things going on. Not the least of which is a large Jewish populations. For lots of real reasons (in addition to the conspiracy theory ones), Jews have always been leaders in trade. That and the country's natural facing towards the sea was very important in developing their trade.
9. Continental countries lacked the unity of China (except France) to develop internal trade, and it stunted their growth. As France started being outstripped by England in trade, they sought to create a continental system of trade to compete. Ultimately it failed because it was created at the point of a bayonet and in hostile opposition to England, which responded by blockading it.

I'd probably summarize thusly: Mahan is right to a point. Maritime power is a very important means to an end, but it's not the end. Trade is the end.
Welcome back from Afghanistan. Great response.
bufrilla
AG
Very simple answer to the demise of the Southern European Catholic counties (mainly Spain) was the defeat of the Spanish Armada in 1588. Opened the door for the English in N America. England ruled the seas for next 300 plus years.
jickyjack1
JJMt said:

I don't understand the distinction you're trying to make. When something is "wrested" from another, doesn't the other person at some point have to "surrender" that something? Don't both words, in this context, essentially mean the same thing?

The question I'm trying to ask is how and why the much smaller and poorer countries of England and Holland passed the larger and much wealthier countries of Spain and France, and of the city states of Italy before them??

In my opinion, no; not usually. The difference is more than semantics.

To have something "wrested" from one is to have it taken away violenty -- by main force in a specific contested action.

It is only loosely the words/concepts can be equated. IMO.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.