They are remaking the movie "Midway" which is slated for a 2019 release.

6,476 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JJMt
SBISA Victim
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.navytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2018/08/28/midway-remake-to-start-filming-next-month-on-oahu/
It will be directed by German director Roland Emmerich and star Woody Harrelson as Admiral Chester Nimitz and Luke Evans as Commander Wade McClusky. Mandy Moore and Patrick Wilson will also have roles.
Rabid Cougar
AG
I don't recall a woman being anywhere near the Battle of Midway. Always have to ruin movies with a love interest.....
I Like Mike
AG
Just keep Nic Cage far away and I am happy.
CanyonAg77
AG
Harrelson is a loon, but I'll hope for the best.
Sapper Redux
I hope it's an improvement on the old Midway movie. Even as a kid I didn't buy their use of WWII flying footage.
Sapper Redux
CanyonAg77 said:

Harrelson is a loon, but I'll hope for the best.

As Nimitz it shouldn't be much more than a cameo.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
The original is one of my favorite movies, despite that awful romance subplot.

If they can deliver a movie that captures the history of the Battle of Midway, sans some dipstick pilot pining for his Jap girlfriend, and perhaps with accurate archival footage, I will be happy. But please, no F6F Hellcats, SB2C Helldivers, or an F9F Panther.
CanyonAg77
AG
Dr. Watson said:

I hope it's an improvement on the old Midway movie. Even as a kid I didn't buy their use of WWII flying footage.
Yeah, that was pretty bad. And if you had watched Tora! Tora! Tora!, a lot of the footage was very familiar.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

an F9F Panther.
Yeah, that was the low point of lousy footage.
BQ_90
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Dr. Watson said:

Yeah, that was pretty bad. And if you had watched Tora! Tora! Tora!, a lot of the footage was very familiar.
didn't it even have some footage from Battle of Britain in it
Sapper Redux
BQ_90 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Dr. Watson said:

didn't it even have some footage from Battle of Britain in it

I haven't seen it in years, but I still vividly remember the scene where Heston's son crash-lands and the cut-aways from the actors to the archival footage was absurd.
Tecolote
AG
Please, oh, please don't let it be as bad as Pearl Harbor with Ben Affleck - that one was unbelievably atrocious.
SRBS
Please don't suck!!
(I'm not getting my hopes up)
CT'97
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

I don't recall a woman being anywhere near the Battle of Midway. Always have to ruin movies with a love interest.....
Yeah, because those guys weren't horn dogs trying to get laid as soon as their ships tied up in Pearl. My grandfather was at Pearl when it was bombed and operated in and out of it all war long and I can promise you there was a lot of "love interests" going on when those ships came in to port.
BrazosBendHorn
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

an F9F Panther.
Yeah, that was the low point of lousy footage.
That footage even made it into The Hunt For Red October

That clip has gotten around a lot, to put it mildly

Most famous ramp strike in movie history

BrazosBendHorn
This sounds promising ...
Quote:

Navy officials have emphasized that Emmerich and crew, a team that includes Mark Gordon, who assisted with the production of "Saving Private Ryan," "are dead-set on making sure it's a historically accurate [film]," the Star-Advertiser reported. Last month, a call went out for local military members and their families to serve as extras in the film, a request that received almost 1,500 responses.
And I'd like to know who they want to cast for Adm. Spruance ...

As for the casting of Woody Harrelson ... 30 years ago I would have scoffed at the notion of Harrelson being cast as Nimitz. (But then again, back then I would have laughed at the notion of Tom Hanks (Dragnet, Joe Versus the Volcano, The Man With One Red Shoe, Turner & Hooch, The 'Burbs, Bachelor Party, etc.) being cast as James Lovell or as Captain Miller ... ) I think he has the acting chops to pull it off. But the focus should really be on Commander Rochefort and Adm. Spruance, IMHO ...
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
At least this is not Alec Baldwin as Jimmy Doolittle (and I say that as having enjoyed Pearl Harbor for the warbird sequences)
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Let's hope they use Shartered Sword as reference material.

titan, where are you? Have you and your co-author been contacted about being a history resource for this movie?

Rabid Cougar
AG
CT'97 said:

Rabid Cougar said:

Yeah, because those guys weren't horn dogs trying to get laid as soon as their ships tied up in Pearl. My grandfather was at Pearl when it was bombed and operated in and out of it all war long and I can promise you there was a lot of "love interests" going on when those ships came in to port.
I have no doubt there was an over abundance of that going on in every port around the world.

Thailand is/was the most favorable port of call for KBR, Fluer, etc. contractors for R&R during the recent war.

"Going home?"
"Hell no. Thailand."
"Going to the beach?"
"I wont see the beach."

CanyonAg77
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

At least this is not Alec Baldwin as Jimmy Doolittle (and I say that as having enjoyed Pearl Harbor for the warbird sequences)
Okay, what total dork would watch a bad movie, just because it has awesome aircraft footage, especially of old warbirds?????

(Slowly raises hand, while cuing up Strategic Air Command, with Jimmy Stewart)

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Okay, what total dork would watch a bad movie, just because it has awesome aircraft footage, especially of old warbirds?????

(Slowly raises hand, while cuing up Strategic Air Command, with Jimmy Stewart)

There are plenty to choose from, of varying degrees of quality ... take this one, for example ...

CanyonAg77
AG
At about the 3:00 minute mark of the Mosquito clip, they show the Mossies going through a valley. I wonder if it's the same spot as the "Mach Loop" in Wales, where you can look down on NATO low-level training?

ja86
AG
looks like it could be the same course...
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Certainly looks the same
samsal75
AG
Do the Japs win this time and do they even allow the term 'Japs' to be used in the movie??
Martin Cash
AG
Who's playing Matt Garth???
Bighunter43
AG
I thought Matthew Garth was John Wayne's adopted son in Red River? Dude sure gets around!!
Gunny456
AG
At least the old movie did show about George Gay- A&M Class of 1939. I was blessed and honored to have got to know him pretty well. We met while I was at the old CAF airshow in Harligen, Texas. I gave him a ride in my L-6 and became instant good buddies...... and he was really a nice man. He sent me some signed prints that I have framed in my house. They are some of my most treasured aviation prints.
Gunny456
AG
For it's time and the technology that was available it was not that bad. What i hated the most about Pearl Harbor was the totally un- authentic engine sounds of the aircraft.
Sapper Redux
Gunny456 said:

At least the old movie did show about George Gay- A&M Class of 1939. I was blessed and honored to have got to know him pretty well. We met while I was at the old CAF airshow in Harligen, Texas. I gave him a ride in my L-6 and became instant good buddies...... and he was really a nice man. He sent me some signed prints that I have framed in my house. They are some of my most treasured aviation prints.

That's really cool. Did he ever talk about his experience? I couldn't imagine losing all of your comrades like that.
CanyonAg77
AG
An Aggie buddy of mine was a Marine who got into sport parachuting. He jumped at a lot of airshows, and he made a point to get autographs in his log book of other people at airshows. George Gay was one of them.

Me, I saw him at an airshow in the early 80s, selling and signing his book. Unfortunately, I didn't know his story or his Aggie heritage at the time. Opportunity missed.
Gunny456
AG
Doc.......that morning when we flew I actually let him fly the plane and he really got a kick out of it.. and then he just hung out under the wing with me and my dad and my wife and my dad had been in New Guinea and Guam in the AAC. He and my dad talked just bs stories.....you know nothing specific.
We also had a good friend of ours with us named Tommy Thompson who was a C-47 pilot in D-Day. He and Tommy talked a little and he told Tommy that he could not see how he kept it all together that morning. (D-Day) Tommy laughed and said he was glad he was not at Midway..........Mr. Gay just told Tommy he had an angel with him that day and that he always wondered if he did what he should have with his life. Tommy said the same thing to him. Thing was they both were starting to get crackles in their voices.
I only wished I would have had a video camera or something that morning to have captured that.

You know the memory of that morning in Harligen is still a special moment in my life and I still just stand in awe of what all those guys did.

My dad, Tommy, Mr. Gay, all gone now. I was honored to have been there that morning.

Tommy Thompson gave me my check ride in my L-6. I miss him and my dad.
Gunny456
AG
Wow....that is cool. I know what you mean. I missed a lot of opportunities at the shows as well.

Met Paul Tibbets and bought him a drink at the O Club at the CAF Hedaquarters in the late 1970's. All I got is the memory.
Sapper Redux
Great story
Gunny456
AG
Thank you sir.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.