Came across this article that says the Battleship Texas nearly encountered Bismarck

3,006 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Sapper Redux
SBISA Victim
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
and Prinz Eugen as they were attempting to break out of the Denmark Strait into the North Atlantic. http://www.avalanchepress.com/Americans-Bismarck.php
clarythedrill
Probably a good thing it did not encounter either of them. It would probably be at the bottom of the sea right now if it did.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Interesting read. As sentimental as we all are about the Texas, this would not have ended well IF the Germans chose to fight which they could have easily avoided. I don't think they would have sunk the Texas outside of a detonation of a magazine but they would have surely wrecked her pretty good.
JABQ04
AG
About 4 1/2 years ago we flew into NH on our return from Afghanistan. There was the typical reception of older vets, well wishers, greeters etc... as I grabbed a slice of pizza and a coke I saw an old man with a cap that said USCG Modoc. I remember reading and hearing about that ship but it took a bit for it to kick in. I found him later and asked him if he was on board when they crossed paths with Bismarck. He said he was, but was below decks and really didn't know anything about it until the situation had passed.

Also USS Texas v Bismarck would not have ended well for Texas. Wonder though, if that would have brought the US into the war 6 1/2 months before Pearl Harbor.
Rabid Cougar
AG
JABQ04 said:

Also USS Texas v Bismarck would not have ended well for Texas. Wonder though, if that would have brought the US into the war 6 1/2 months before Pearl Harbor.
A battleship sunk by surface combatant??? Maybe.

But DD-245 Reuban James being sunk in October 1941 by a German U-boat didn't do the trick.
Sapper Redux
JABQ04 said:

About 4 1/2 years ago we flew into NH on our return from Afghanistan. There was the typical reception of older vets, well wishers, greeters etc... as I grabbed a slice of pizza and a coke I saw an old man with a cap that said USCG Modoc. I remember reading and hearing about that ship but it took a bit for it to kick in. I found him later and asked him if he was on board when they crossed paths with Bismarck. He said he was, but was below decks and really didn't know anything about it until the situation had passed.

That's the crazy thing to me about naval warfare. More than half your crew wouldn't be able to tell you a damn thing about what happened in combat aside from, "I was belowdecks at my post."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.