26 inch armor from a Yamato class battleship penetrated by a 16 inch shell.

2,088 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SBISA Victim
SBISA Victim
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

This armor was on the front of the Yamato class 18.1 inch gun turret. The hull armor itself was around 16 inches. This particular piece was likely left over from the Shinano after she was converted to a Carrier. And was likely used as a test against our battleships 16 inch guns. However I don't know anything about the parameters of the test such as range or trajectory.
OldArmy07
Rabid Cougar
AG
WarAGle said:

This armor was on the front of the Yamato class 18.1 inch gun turret. The hull armor itself was around 16 inches. This particular piece was likely left over from the Shinano after she was converted to a Carrier. And was likely used as a test against our battleships 16 inch guns. However I don't know anything about the parameters of the test such as range or trajectory.
That piece is located at the Washington Navy Yard right across from Adm. Charles Rock '86 office. (S-2 Marauders '86 my ol' lady.) It was a piece of the Yamato class turret armor. (actually was supposed to be on the Shinano which was converted to a CV).

Here is the specifics of the test. http://navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-040.php
Post removed:
by user
SBISA Victim
AG
Thanks for the lInk Cougar .
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.