Sun Tzu Question: Facing East

1,872 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Eliminatus
Madman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why does Sun Tzu recommend for camps to face east? Is it symbolic? How could facing east always be best?
Sapper Redux
Can you post the section you're thinking of? I remember him saying to camp facing the sun, but always took that as a comfort issue than a strategic one.
BQ78
AG
Better prepared for a early morning/dawn attack by the enemy, the universally preferred time to launch an attack?
Stive
AG
BQ78 said:

Better prepared for a early morning/dawn attack by the enemy, the universally preferred time to launch an attack?

That's where I was leaning.
Madman
AG
And now I can't find the damn chapter to reference.
AtlAg05
AG
Stive said:

BQ78 said:

That's where I was leaning.

Wouldn't that also put the sun in your eyes and at the backs of the attackers?
Stive
AG
In some circumstances you can't control the direction from where they attack but you can be prepared for it and awake when it happens. Facing the other way when they're coming in doesn't alleviate the problem.
HDeathstar
Good Idea before alarm clocks.
BQ78
AG
Yes, that is the main reason to attack from that direction. Attacking at dawn also gives you all day to exploit any success. Think Chancellorsville for an example of attacking too late.
JABQ04
AG
Despite looking into a rising sun, the enemy is highlighted while those in defensive positions still remain hidden
Apache
AG
Could it simply be that it allows the sun to warm up & dry off dew more quickly? Lets more light into tents so you can see?
I face my tent opening east for this reason when I camp.
Eliminatus
AG
Maybe to keep things uniform? As in camp layout day after day.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.