M1 Carbine ID help

1,138 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by LTC77
TheEyeGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
Ok, so I don't wade over here as much as I would like to, but I hope someone here might have more info on military guns than I do.

I had an M1 carbine come into the store and after looking it over, my gunsmith thinks it's from the 555 Triple Nickles.

Some of this info adds up and others doesn't but the info he was getting was basically second hand and may be mostly right with a few things mixed up.

If you look at the stock, there are five wooden pegs inserted into it. They have obviously been there for a long freaking time. Gunsmith says they probably are from the 555 Triple Nickle... and all black parachute unit. He mentioned Korea but when looking up the company, that doesn't add up as they were from 1944-1947. It does add up that the rifle being made in 1944 would possibly be given to them.

So, does anyone that know more about WWII weapon history have info that may jive with this? Or is this a rabbit hole that may lead to no where?

Pic of the gun

You can see the wood pegs under the comb of the stock. There are five... and three of them make a distinct triangle... 5 pegs and the fact that pyramids play into the 555s stuff does make this add up a bit.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
BQ78
AG
I ate C-Rats from World War II in 1976.

There was lot's of war surplus material used in World War II. They are still handing out Purple Hearts made in the 1940s as I understand it.

But yes many of the army units in Korea were armed pretty much like the boys in WW2 and with actual weapons made for that war.
JABQ04
AG
From what I recall the 555 PIR never saw action. They ended up being used as smoke jumpers to fight forest fires out west. The M1 very probably issues to the unit, but if it was, it never saw combat in WWII. Definitely could have been used in Korea as the above poster mentioned. Since it was only 5 years after the war, most of the equipment was WWII issue. Hell the Garand and M1 carbine saw action in Vietnam.
JABQ04
AG
BQ78 said:

I ate C-Rats from World War II in 1976.

There was lot's of war surplus material used in World War II. They are still handing out Purple Hearts made in the 1940s as I understand it.

But yes many of the army units in Korea were armed pretty much like the boys in WW2 and with actual weapons made for that war.

You're a brave man eating those C-Rats. How'd they go down?
Corporal Punishment
AG
How much are you asking for it?
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Corporal Punishment said:

How much are you asking for it?
It already sold
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
BQ78
AG
Better than MREs in more recent times. As long as it wasn't ham and Lima beans, C-rats were pretty good.
LTC77
Or the green eggs and ham. I ate them at Ft. Riley in 1976. They had cigarettes in the sundry pack, which were good to trade for more food. There were 4 cigarettes in a pack and they were brands you never heard of since the 40's. Still better than the 1st generation MREs.
LTC77
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.