Tracking down someone from WW2 days

1,142 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Twelfthman99
ArgyleAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Class of '70 here (to give you an idea of my vintage).

My wife and I are working on a very large project of scanning in lots of old family photos and photo albums. One of the albums that my mother put together back in the 1940's includes several pages of photos taken by a friend of hers who was in the Army stationed in North Africa during WW2. They are all of places he was stationed while there, local scenes, army buddies, etc.

This guy was either someone she knew while she was growing up in Worcester, Mass, or was someone she met while she was in college in Boston (early 40's timeframe). Her friend is no one I ever heard of as my mother passed when I was very young. There's no one else alive that I'm aware of who might know.

I was simply thinking that it would be really nice if I were able to track down a family member of this guy and mail these pages of photos to him/her.

Does anyone have suggestions on how I might go about doing this?

Thanks.
who?mikejones
AG
Post it on the outdoor board?
CanyonAg77
AG
Identify his unit, and see if there are any veterans associations for that unit?
45-70Ag
AG
If you have a name, ancestry is a good start
JABQ04
AG
Can you post some of the pictures? His uniform and insignia would give a good starting point
Twelfthman99
AG
I had difficulty tracking down a lot of information on my grandfather's time in the Army (he was in the European theater from D-Day through the occupation). There apparently was a fire at the facility where a lot of the records were kept in Kansas City in the 50s or 60s and many service records were lost. As was posted, unit associations are usually the best way to learn more about where folks served and the engagements in which they may have participated.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.