WWII Weapons Cache

1,433 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Rabid Cougar
74OA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Arming everyone for the final death-fight? One of Many
JABQ04
AG
74OA said:

Probably. Unless we dropped two atom bombs, I don't think they surrender.

I like how they only find 302 bullets amongst 1000 plus firearms. Mass suicidal banzai charge no doubt.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Thank goodness that we dropped a bomb on Hiroshima 73 years ago today to end that war
CT'97
AG
JABQ04 said:

74OA said:

Probably. Unless we dropped two atom bombs, I don't think they surrender.

I like how they only find 302 bullets amongst 1000 plus firearms. Mass suicidal banzai charge no doubt.
Nimitz and Halsey both disagreed with you.
BQ78
AG
Well their boss agreed with BQ87 and that's all that matters.
aalan94
AG
The Japanese were not going to surrender before the Atomic bomb. One could argue that we could have used conventional bombing instead of nukes, but that didn't alter the calculus on lives. We were killing more of them than we were with nukes.

Now, I will entertain arguments that Nagasaki was unnecessary. I still think it was, but there's a little something to the case that one bomb was enough.
CanyonAg77
AG
When there was a rebellion of Japanese Army officers attempting to steal the emperor's surrender message, after Nagasaki, one can almost argue a third bomb was needed.

One was in the air, enroute from Los Alamos to the west coast when the surrender was announced.
agsalaska
AG
Correct me If I am wrong but wasn't that third bomb the only other bomb we had?
CanyonAg77
AG
I think it was, with enough nuclear material for maybe two more in the immediate pipeline. Would have to dig trough some of my books about it.
Rabid Cougar
AG
They had three. Mk-III, a Fat Man, was scheduled for Kokura on August 19th
However, it was in San Francisco on 18 August.

There were plans to build one more Little Boy and 12 more Fat Man. They were all going to be dropped before November 1945 before Downfall.

There were 17 target selected. Niigata and Yokohama were the next two after Kokura. Tokyo was not on the list. They needed the leadership to be alive in order to have an unconditional surrender.

Sources: Pincher - D. A. Rosenberg 1989 Silverplate Bombers - R. H. Campbell 2005 The Decision to Use the Atomic Bomb - G. Alperovitz 1995 Making of the Atomic Bomb - R. Rhodes 1987 The General and the Bomb - W. Lawren 1988 Now It Can Be Told - L. Groves 1983

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.