U.S. POWs at Buchenwald

1,460 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JABQ04
aalan94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did not know of this until I saw something on the B-24 Liberator fans FB page. I was skeptical, but I looked it up, and yes, there were some US POWs at a concentration camp. This was not, however, a Wehrmacht policy, it appears to have originated from a rogue commander. What's amazing is the circumstances that allowed them to get out:

At last, the U.S. POWs of Buchenwald Talk

45-70Ag
AG
disgustinng the government told them to shut up.

Glad their story is being told even if it took decades.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
I'd never heard it either and that article is from 2011!!
Thanks for sharing.
BrazosBendHorn
It's my understanding that Goring fought hard for American & British air crew POWs to be held at POW camps managed by the Luftwaffe, rather than the Wehrmacht or the SS. (Mostly because he wanted his captured Luftwaffe pilots to be treated well by the Allies.)

That being said, the great fear of my uncle and his fellow Army Air Forces detainees in the final months of the war was that on any given day the SS might come into their Luft Stalag and massacre them all. (Not a totally unfounded fear.)
Cen-Tex
AG
Adding sawdust to a POW's meal must have been in a German military cookbook. I had a relative that was captured at Anzio and said he was fed meals laced with sawdust many times while in a stalag. Dealt with an irritated eso****us the rest of his life.
IDAGG
AG
Cen-Tex said:

Adding sawdust to a POW's meal must have been in a German military cookbook. I had a relative that was captured at Anzio and said he was fed meals laced with sawdust many times while in a stalag.
My father was in Stalag Luft 1. The last few months of the war they received one loaf of bread a day for their barracks to be split among everyone in that barracks He said it was half black bread, half sawdust. He weighed less than 100 pounds when he got back to France a few weeks after being liberated by the Red Army (that's another story).

They had it bad, but not nearly as bad as those airmen in the Buchenwald article aalan94 posted. Thanks for posting it BTW, I had never heard of this. How awful.
45-70Ag
AG
An old guy who died recently that attended the same church we did was a pow in a German prisoner camp.

When his camp was liberated he said he was beyond thankful that the Americans liberated it and not the Russians. He said the Russians were basically animals and it would have been a death sentence to have had them come into the camp.
JABQ04
AG
I seem to remember hearing of this and while not common it seems Allied POWs wound up on concentration camps. I remember reading of some Brits who ended up in Aushwitz, or at least one of the subcamps, and other Americans who ended up in Mauthausen.

I still would have rather been captured by the Germans than the Japanese though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.