Kent State Shooting Preceded By Pistol Fire?

1,224 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aggiejim70
Madman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had never heard of this. From the Cleveland paper in 2010

https://www.cleveland.com/science/index.ssf/2010/10/analysis_of_kent_state_audio_t.html

Quote:

A noisy, violent altercation and four pistol shots took place about 70 seconds before Ohio National Guardsmen opened fire on antiwar protesters at Kent State University, according to a new analysis of a 40-year-old audiotape of the event.

The discovery adds new perspective to -- and raises new questions about -- one of the signature events of the 20th century, after four decades of spirited discussion and research.

"They got somebody," an observer says. "Kill him!" at least two male voices repeatedly shout, followed by sounds of a struggle and a female voice yelling, "Whack that [expletive]!" or "Hit that [expletive]!" Four distinct shots matching the acoustic signature of a .38-caliber revolver then ring out, according to a review by New Jersey forensic audio expert Stuart Allen.

Certainly changes your perspective on the day.
OldArmy71
AG
From the very first, there was the suggestion that shots were fired before the National Guard fired and that they came from Terry Norman, who was on campus taking photos for the FBI.

Quote:

Norman was photographing protestors that day for the FBI and carried a loaded .38-caliber Smith & Wesson Model 36 five-shot revolver in a holster under his coat for protection. Though he denied discharging his pistol, he previously has been accused of triggering the Guard shootings by firing to warn away angry demonstrators, which the soldiers mistook for sniper fire.

The apparent order for the Guardsmen to fire that is captured on the recording, as well as passage of more than a minute between the last supposed pistol shot and the Guard's gunshots, raises doubts about a connection between the two events.

The remainder of the cited article gives the details.
CanyonAg77
AG
Wow. This story is new to me.

What isn't new to me, and what many people forget, or intentionally leave out, is why the guard was called out. The "protestors" had been rioting and looting in the nearby town for three nights, and the guard was called out to quell the riots, not the protests.
OldArmy71
AG
There was certainly a riot in the town, but there had been a credible threat against the ROTC building on campus, and that was one of the main reasons for calling in the NG. The building was already aflame by the time the NG made it to campus.
aggiejim70
AG
I have step-granddaughter whose a senior at Kent State. When I told her I was a senior when the shooting happened, she asked me what kind of protest happened at A&M as result. She was shocked at the fact there was none.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.