Nearly 100 bodies found at a Texas construction site were probably black people force

2,747 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by The Original AG 76
Smokedraw01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Corporal Punishment
AG
Lol
Quote:

Correction: A previous version of this story incorrectly stated the Emancipation Proclamation freed all slaves. The proclamation said all slaves held in states that had seceded from the United States were free. The story also corrects the date of the Emancipation Proclamation.
Sapper Redux
The history of chain gains and convict labor is depressing. A workaround for the 13th amendment.
BQ78
AG
VFN living up to their name.
commando2004
AG
Dr. Watson said:

The history of chain gains and convict labor is depressing. A workaround for the 13th amendment.
Not really a workaround: The 13th explicitly allows convict labor.
Quote:

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.
Sapper Redux
True. But that was exploited in many parts of the country with vague vagrancy laws, etc, that were largely aimed at African Americans and carried harsh sentences with no oversight.
Smokedraw01
commando2004 said:

Dr. Watson said:

Not really a workaround: The 13th explicitly allows convict labor.
Quote:

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

The system was bull***** Most of the crimes were listed as "vagrancy" which pretty much either meant black or poor. Usually it was both.

aalan94
AG
I'm going to have to agree. Not all, or most of convict labor was black. But many were. In some jurisdictions, the people who needed labor (say, road contractors) would tell the judges how many men they needed for a road project. The judges would then add up the convicts, determine the shortfall, then get harsher in sentencing new criminals to make up the difference.
Post removed:
by user
Liquid Wrench
If you ever go to Houston, oh you better walk right
And you better not squallow and you better not fight
Sheriff Rocko will arrest you, Eddie Boone will take you down
You can bet your bottom dollar, penitentiary bound
Smokedraw01
ChiliBeans said:

What is that from?

There is a great book called "Slavery By Another Name" covers this. The system existed until at least FDR and was mostly ended after publicized deaths of white victims.

It seemed that the system was really bad after Reconstruction and the "convicts" were treated worse than slaves simply because the owner had very little money invested relatively speaking.
The Original AG 76
AG
Smokedraw01 said:

ChiliBeans said:

What is that from?

There is a great book called "Slavery By Another Name" covers this. The system existed until at least FDR and was mostly ended after publicized deaths of white victims.

It seemed that the system was really bad after Reconstruction and the "convicts" were treated worse than slaves simply because the owner had very little money invested relatively speaking.
Smokedraw01
Thanks. I didn't realize that song was from an old prison tune and one that was recorded at angola prison by Lead Belly.
Liquid Wrench
Yeah, you can find Lead Belly's version on youtube. Listened to the song for years before I found out what it was about.
Tee
AG
I think the song was written about Houston during Jim Crow and the prison mentioned in the song is the Farm at Sugarland, not the Louisiana prison in Angola. Leadbelly's version lists the name of the sheriff and calls the jailer or bailiff the "boomer", I think (been a long tie since I listened to the song, though). Supposedly, if the train going by the Farm shined its light on a convict, the convict was soon to be released.
BQ78
AG
Some of the Ledbelly recordings he clearly says Huntsville instead of prison.
Smokedraw01
Tee said:

I think the song was written about Houston during Jim Crow and the prison mentioned in the song is the Farm at Sugarland, not the Louisiana prison in Angola. Leadbelly's version lists the name of the sheriff and calls the jailer or bailiff the "boomer", I think (been a long tie since I listened to the song, though). Supposedly, if the train going by the Farm shined its light on a convict, the convict was soon to be released.

The recordings were made at Angola by John Lomax as part of a collaboration with the Library of Congress.
BillE1976
AG
Early Sugarland was pretty much built with convict labor
The Original AG 76
AG
Sure wish we could bring back the 30's type chain gangs. We could empty out many Texas prisons and fill up a bunch of empty fields. WIN-WIN
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.