1942 Cotton Bowl

1,636 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Cardiac Saturday
AggieCollector
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm new to the forum and I haven't been able to master the art of inserting images so I'll do this by text alone for the time being.

I purchased two Chase Holland Texas Aggie Spur-Clip Tie Clasps from the estate of Marshall Spivey's widow in Tyler, Texas recently. Marshall Spivey was the co-captain of the 1941-1942 Aggie football team that participated in the 1942 Cotton Bowl (but lost).

If you are not familiar with these Tie Clips, I'll give this short explanation: The Spur Clip is a very detailed silver spur with working rowel and it usually has something inside the spur where the boot would be located (horse heads and horses are found quite often).

One Tie Clip has the "Block T" with "cotton bolls" inside a silver bowl superimposed over the "T". Written across the bowl is "Aggies" and below the bowl is "42". It seems pretty obvious that this would commemorate the '42 Cotton Bowl. My question is: Was this Tie Clip available for purchase by anyone, just the football team, or just the co-captains?

The other Tie Clip has the "Block T" with "Aggies" superimposed over it. My question is: Was this Tie Clip available for purchase by anyone or just the football team? If for the football team, was it the '41-'42 football team or another?

Marshall Spivey did play football for four years but was a freshman during the National Championship year. He apparently just played on the Freshman squad that year.
cbr
AG
I have my grandfathers, but he too was a captain and letterman, on the 43 team. So I can't help you with the question, but it's a very, very cool piece.

I don't recall any of his buddies ever wearing them, nor did my grandfather.
The Original AG 76
AG
Even if had been available for purchase I doubt that there were many sold. Remember 42-43 was a war year and coupled with the fact that the VAST majority of our student body and supporters ( unlike those folks in Austin) were working class hard scrabble country boys with VERY little money for such trivial items I doubt that you will find many of these out there.
My dad was class of 44 and a dirt poor country boy. He had absolutely NOTHING except his uniforms ( as he said THANK GOD for these other wise he was stuck with 2 changes of clothes) . He had no mementos from his Aggieland days except for single solitary AMC pennant that my grandmother kept for him. There really just isn't a lot of the bling and hoopla stuff we see around colleges from that era at Aggieland.
Very very cool item. I hope you can post pictures .
CanyonAg77
AG
As a rookie, you can't post pics anyway. To post, they need to be on a public site like Flickr, imgur, or maybe you can email to one of us and we can post
AggieCollector
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Alc2CULj8i6fhxyssI0U5CUfsopF

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Alc2CULj8i6fhxvlb_P6j6-sjJPu[\img]

Trial on image insert
AggieCollector
OK, I'm able to insert jpegs or at least they showed up on my screen. Please let me know if this works. Thanks
CanyonAg77
AG
I can't see them. The good news is that I can click on your link and see them on that web page.

Very cool things, and I think they were definitely made to hang on a tie.

As I said earlier, until you post enough to get out of rookie status, you can't post pics. And when you do get the ability, don't post the web page, only the image location within the img tags. Often, you can right click the image to get the location.
CanyonAg77
AG
Side note, I think that freshmen were required to play on the fish team, they couldn't move up to varsity
Cardiac Saturday
AG
Never have seen anything like either of them - take good care of them....!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.