Military museums in San Antonio

1,267 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CanyonAg77
The Fall Guy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thinking about going to the Texas Air Museum at Stinson field in San Antonio this Sat.

Any other recommendations?
p_bubel
Never been, but:

http://www.jbsa.mil/News/News/Article/1129336/museum-tells-history-of-fort-sam-houston-military-in-san-antonio/

The Quadrangle alone might be worth the trip.

The Museum of the Pacific in Fredericksburg (about an hour and half) is worth the short drive if you've never been.
AEK
AG
I second the museum in Fredericksburg. Awesome!

Also, if you plan to get on Ft. Sam to go see the Quadrangle you could also go to the Army Medical Department Museum.
MGS
Don't forget the static airplane displays at Lackland.
The Fall Guy
AG
That is for the replies. Have been multiple times to Fredericksburg and the museum. Love it.

I was looking at the Ft Sam and you have to have DOD clearance to get on. Too much trouble on a short notice trip. Will have to plan it. We live in Kyle so it is a short trip down.

My son is now getting of age to actually appreciate history and not just look at it and say cool.
p_bubel
The Fall Guy said:

That is for the replies. Have been multiple times to Fredericksburg and the museum. Love it.

I was looking at the Ft Sam and you have to have DOD clearance to get on. Too much trouble on a short notice trip. Will have to plan it. We live in Kyle so it is a short trip down.

My son is now getting of age to actually appreciate history and not just look at it and say cool.
Are you 100% positive on the clearance? I know there is a new protocol, but I didn't think it was anything difficult
p_bubel
I think you just need to go to the visitor's center at Walters St.

http://www.jbsa.mil/Information/Visitor-Information/JBSA-Fort-Sam-Houston-Access-Requirements/

I'd give the number at the bottom a call.
The Fall Guy
AG
I called Ft Sam and it was kind if a hassle to go thru loops if you did not already have clearance. More since none of us were former military.

We ended up going to the Texas Air Museum at Stinson field. It has some pretty cool exhibits and history. Run by some old vet volunteers.

Worth the 10 dollars for 3 people to get in.
CanyonAg77
AG
We went on post at Ft.Leavenworth a few weeks ago. It tool about 10-15 minutes to run both of us through. No big deal, they look at your DL, run a background check, you're done.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.