The Long Way Round: The Plane that Accidentally Circumnavigated the World

3,345 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 12th Man
p_bubel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

After the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour, the crew of Pan Am flight 18602 were forced to do something almost impossible: return to America the long way round.

Link

Quote:

"What's up Gene?!" Asked Rod Brown the plane's Second Officer, who'd been close enough to witness the radioman's reaction and now moved to his side.
"The Japs have attacked Pearl Harbour!"
"You've got to be kidding."
"No! No!" Leach insisted, "Just now they bombed Pearl Harbour! No joke man!"
Seeing the expression of horror on Leach's face soon dispelled any doubt in Brown's mind. And then the reality of what this meant hit him: if the Pacific was no longer a friendly sea then they were cut off. They had no route home.
Brown headed towards the cockpit to warn the Captain. Ford took the news quietly and calmly.
"You're sure about that? You better confirm it."
Leach was already attempting to do exactly that and soon he had managed to lock onto the long-range signal from the Pan Am ground station in Noumea, New Caledonia, from whence they had just departed. The station was broadcasting morse code on a constant loop, itself a bad sign, and the translation left no room for doubt.
PEARL HARBOUR ATTACKED. IMPLEMENT PLAN A.
For a moment there was silence on the flight deck. Then Ford reached into his jacket pocket, pulling out a sealed brown envelope, breaking the spell. He was the only member of the crew to whom the last part of the coded message made any sense. It meant it was time to break open the envelopes that he, and every other Clipper Captain, had been secretly issued on every flight for a number of weeks now since Pan Am decided to prepare for a war.
Inside, Ford found he had new orders.
Quote:

To: Captain, PAA Flight 6039 SFO-LAX-HNL-CIS-SUV-NOU-AUK and return flight 6040.

Quote:

Subject: Special instructions to avoid hostile military activity.
Quote:

Pan American Airways, in cooperation with the Chief of Staff, United States Army, Commander-in-Chief, Pacific Fleet Operations, the Secretary of War and the Secretary of State, has agreed to place its fleet of flying boats at the disposal of the military for whatever logistical or tactical purpose they may deem necessary at such time as hostilities break out between the United States forces and the military forces of the Imperial Japanese government.
Quote:

In the event that you are required to open and read these instructions, you may assume that hostilities have already occurred and that the aircraft under your command represents a strategic military resource which must be protected and secured from falling into enemy hands
Ford read on. Plan A, for the California Clipper, meant continuing on to the nearest friendly Pan American base known to be unoccupied by the Japanese, doing everything possible to avoid any contact with enemy forces. This meant continuing to Auckland.
Ford had been a Navy pilot before joining Pan American. He knew exactly what to do. They needed to get away from their regular route it was the first place any Japanese forces would sweep and find a new path to Auckland. Rod Brown was dispatched to the map table to do so, and Leach was ordered to shut down the radio. From now they would continue in radio silence.
This done, the rest of the crew were filled in on events, and all lights were extinguished. Finally, Ford unlocked his flight case and pulled out his .38 revolver. He strapped it to his hip.
The California Clipper's war had begun. And she was a long, long way from home.

who?mikejones
AG
Great read
JABQ04
AG
Very cool and unknown story. Would love to see a movie of it.
RGV AG
AG
That was a solid post. Thank you. Very interesting, had to be a helluva adventure.
Cardiac Saturday
AG
Helluva account at the link - thanks for posting!
Guppy
AG
Thanks for sharing. 23 hr flight?!
Cen-Tex
AG
Good story. Too bad none of these planes escaped the scrap yard.
MTAggie
AG
I agree with the rest - what a great story. Thanks for posting that link.
CanyonAg77
AG
Add my thanks. Great read. And I agree with the thought above, it could be a great movie.

Side note, wonder what the heck they did with their passengers? None were mentioned. They all get dumped in New Zealand?
Mule_lx
AG
Thanks for posting.
HHAG
AG
Great read, thanks!
Squadron7
AG
Cen-Tex said:

After reading the story, I checked around. All the real ones are gone, but there is a full scale model at a museum just outside of Dublin, Ireland.

The link: https://www.flyingboatmuseum.com/boeing-314-clipper-flying-boat/
p_bubel
Squadron7 said:

Cen-Tex said:

After reading the story, I checked around. All the real ones are gone, but there is a full scale model at a museum just outside of Dublin, Ireland.

The fate of these old birds was disappointing to me.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
p_bubel said:

Squadron7 said:

Cen-Tex said:

The fate of these old birds was disappointing to me.
I hate that so many of the warbirds or aircraft from that era are just ... gone.

Great story, one that I was not previously aware of.
GSPag`
That is a story that MUST be made into a movie. What fortitude that generation possessed.
p_bubel
No joke.
BQ_90
AG
GSPag` said:

That is a story that MUST be made into a movie. What fortitude that generation possessed.
It will only be made now if they can change all the crew to trans gender social jutice warriors and the story is they where fleeing the oppression of white America
titan
S

What a dramatic and interesting tale of both drama and logistics! Thanks for posting.
Jaydoug
AG
Great read! Thanks for posting.
Speedbird087
AG
CanyonAg77
AG
https://www.amazon.com/Night-Over-Water-Ken-Follett/dp/0451173139

Quote:

#1 New York Times bestselling author Ken Follett takes to the skies in this classic novel of international suspense. Set in the early days of World War II, Night over Water captures the daring and desperation of ordinary people caught in extraordinary circumstancesin prose as compelling as history itself. . . .

September 1939. England is at war with Nazi Germany. In Southampton, the world's most luxurious airlinerthe legendary Pan Am Clippertakes off for its final flight to neutral America. Aboard are the cream of society and the dregs of humanity, all fleeing the war for reasons of their own . . . shadowed by a danger they do not know exists . . . and heading straight into a storm of violence, intrigue, and betrayal. . . .

insulator_king
AG
What a great story!
12th Man
AG
This is a fascinating story. I read a great book about Juan Trippe and Pan Am wherein the author touched on this story, but I'd never read anything more. I wish the link worked to a U.S. kindle, because I'd love to read the whole story. Thanks for sharing this.
12th Man
AG
Actually found "The Long Way Home - Revised Edition" on Amazon; read for free
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.