The Aggie Hitchhike Science

2,221 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ABATTBQ87
Liquid Wrench
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is from the September 17, 1942 Pampa Daily News.

Any of yall heard of this before?

ABATTBQ87
AG
my dad's 1954 campusology book described the correct way to hitchhike
OldArmy71
AG
Yes, my dad's 1942 Cadence has a section on hitchhiking etiquette. Thanks for that article, OP. Interesting!
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
1946 - 24 hours to hitch to LSU !

CORRECTION it was 1945
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Liquid Wrench
Big Jim, I want to have a beer and listen to you talk some time.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Dallas - any time ! ( LSU trip - dynamite in trunk, Shorty in big rig shifting gears every small rise, fight over Cav flag on field during game, Loupot semi picking up marooned hitchers - $4 ) And LOST - YA Tittle !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
CanyonAg77
AG
Dad talked about this. While a fish always "got to" stand out on highway 6 with his thumb out, I believe he said that rides were granted according to who got their first, regardless of class.

And he also told it the same way...car would stop, fish would ask how many they could take, and announce "two for Waco" or whatever.
CanyonAg77
AG
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

ChiliBeans said:

Dallas - any time ! ( LSU trip - dynamite in trunk, Shorty in big rig shifting gears every small rise, fight over Cav flag on field during game, Loupot semi picking up marooned hitchers - $4 ) And LOST - YA Tittle !
Dynamite in trunk? More story needed.

And tell me more about Loupot's semi. Did he routinely send out a truck for stragglers after games? Closed van? flatbed?

BTW, my Dad only got to attend the spring semester of his fish year. He was class of '49, too. C CO INF, as I recall.
JABQ04
AG
I am also intrigued by this story and would like to know more.

EVA3
AG
I've been told similar stories. It was also customary and expected that upon entering the vehicle you whip out (introduce yourself) and offer to drive.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
EVA3 said:

I've been told similar stories. It was also customary and expected that upon entering the vehicle you whip out (introduce yourself) and offer to drive.
All true -first went first regardless of class .

Got to Houston - in line for about three hours about 3am - car pulls up says " going to ----- but we have a box of dynamite in trunk if you want a ride - we're oil field workers ". we hesitated about 3 seconds and jumped in ! of course no problem .

Loupot's truck was a semi with sides about 4 ' high - why he showed up is a mystery - Orange as I remember. doubt if he did this again. Back then we still had gas rationing and there were few cars on the highways. We were happy to pay $4 - otherwise we'd still be out there hitchhiking !

Once caught a ride from Bryan to Austin on a bobtail hauling a bed with a mattress - laid down and slept most of the way.! Also, caught a ride in a furniture van from Van Horn to Odessa with huge blankets but no cargo - again slept most of way - two of the best rides ever ! And free !

Memories !

Canyon - due to ww2 there were 3 classes of 49 - Winter, summer and fall !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Smithjg
That newspaper clipping is fake, Texas A&M never used the term 12th Man until a radio broadcast in 2003, when the ghost of EKG was interviewed/CMSIII
45-70Ag
AG
My grandfather graduated in '58 and he hitchhiked several times to campus and away games. Has some interesting stories.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Irish_Man said:

My grandfather graduated in '58 and he hitchhiked several times to campus and away games. Has some interesting stories.

My dad graduated in 1958 and I have his campusology book and on Page 6 are the four basic rules of Aggie hitchhiking:
a) never Upstream also always go to the Aggie line if possible
b) meet the driver and carry on intelligent conversation according to his pleasure
c) offer all assistance in time of trouble or emergency
d) thank the driver for the ride remembering his name if it all possible
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.