Today in history --- (May 3) - Major Maritime wartime disaster

1,472 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by titan
titan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S

I thought i would call attention to this, as it is its anniversary, and the incident and staggering loss of prisoner life is barely known. Especially tragic in literally at the end of WW II in Europe, even after fall of Berlin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Cap_Arcona

I have delved into it a bit, so just to add a few details that come from examining some of the sources, photos and even the ship plans that articles on the Internet do not point out.

Of the ships in Luebeck Bay mentioned in the drama linked, the three-stack German liner Cap Arcona is anchored with its port side facing the Neustadt shore, bow pointed roughly out to sea. The one-stack freighter Thielbek is a few hundred yards astern, but at right angles, starboard side facing Cap Arcona. The two-stack liner Deutschland is further away, and the one-stack Athen is at the dock in Neustadt.

When British Typhoons rocket-equipped fighters hit the ships in two main waves starting about 2:30 pm the Thielbek sank first after about 20 minutes, bodily plunging sideways down on its starboard side where only the tip of the side of the stack and some masts were above water. This left almost no place for survivors to cling to in the cold water, and that is why more than 2,000 with barely 50 survive.

The Cap Arcona is set furiously afire, the SS are on top deck, and shoot or drive back down below any prisoners trying to escape. However, they are also busy trying to save their skins, and soon bail out, taking the few boats that are available to rescue (holes had been punched in many of them). By the time the second wave attacks, the PoWs and even the crew (which tries to help the PoWs in many cases) are on their own and having to get out somehow. Those trapped below have it worst as usual, as there were two main stair-cases going deep down into the ship located either side of the middle stack. (The third stack was a dummy over the engine room). Unless able to make you way up through these burning paths and corridors, there was little way out.

About 4pm the burning Cap Arcona suddenly lurches over and capsizes onto her port side (that is, tumbled down nearly 90 degree angle--- it doesn't here mean "bottom up"). Since the water depth is less than the width of the ship, the whole starboard side remains and would remain above the water. However the fires are burning so hotly photos show the promenade deck windows and frames actually warped and melted, and the survivors talking about burning their feet trying to stay on the hull or running along it takes on new meaning. The conditions between fire and sea are horrific, and many those that get to shore are massacred even with British army columns just arriving, not quite in time. Some 8,000-10,000 perish.

Technically Cap Arcona never "sinks" out of sight like the other two (the Deutschland also goes down close to 6pm) but the side remains out of the water post-war, until scrapped in 1950.

There remains controversy whether they were going to be deliberately sunk with all aboard in the original SS plan, but that seems to be the idea. Whether U-boats at that late date (Hitler was known to be dead) would have agreed to torpedo them is another matter. One other item is it is sometimes said Cap Arcona could not steam any more. That is not quite right --- her turbines were crippled and overworked, but she had steamed to Lubeck Bay and probably could have gone somewhere else on a short voyage for an exchange if that is what it was really about. Opinions are still debated if it was a Himmler scheme or not, or just another way to get all witnesses killed.

YZ250
I hadn't heard of any of that until I read the historical fiction book Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys. It's about the Wilhelm Gustloff which is mentioned in your link.
titan
S
YZ250 said:

I hadn't heard of any of that until I read the historical fiction book Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys. It's about the Wilhelm Gustloff which is mentioned in your link.
Wilhelm Gustloff is another huge Baltic disaster, coming in January. It is somewhat related, but different in character in that it is part of the evacuation of civilians in the face of the advancing Red Army. (The terror was high from the known `rape orders' and other things that were reprisal in turn for German atrocities in Russia). But did you know it actually forms part of a TRIPLE sea disaster, all from the same source: Soviet submarines. The Gustloff is sunk in January, then the General von Steuben, and then the Goya ---- seemingly one after another, all with thousands of East German-European refugees aboard. Of those, only Gustloff is breaking through into semi `general' awareness yet. Mainly because of the numbers lost, but those could have been less. The sister-ship of the famous Prinz Eugen - the ship with Bismarck - the Admiral Hipper, was briefly at the Gustloff sinking, but dared not stop lest she be torpedoed too. Such a big ship could have made a good rescue platform.
YZ250
Reading up on that the same Soviet sub, S-13, sunk both the Wilhelm Gustloff (est. 9,000+ killed) and the General von Steuben (est 4,500 killed). The commander was posthumously awarded the Hero of the Soviet Union in 1990 by Gorbachev.
titan
S
YZ250 said:

Reading up on that the same Soviet sub, S-13, sunk both the Wilhelm Gustloff (est. 9,000+ killed) and the General von Steuben (est 4,500 killed). The commander was posthumously awarded the Hero of the Soviet Union in 1990 by Gorbachev.
Yes indeed, and it is interesting to realize for S-13 CO Alexander Marinesko that recognition came "just in time"---the Soviet Union itself had only one more year (till Christmas Day 1991) to exist to bestow it on him with proper context. If I recall right political issues and rivalries with his superior rather than himself had caused him to not to get it. But not sure.

I have an unusual old 70's article on the Steuben. If there is interest will dig it up and post some details some time. They found the wreck of her and the Gustloff back in about 2005. Steuben is nearly intact on its side, but Gustloff is in about three pieces.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.