Greenleaf Fisk ?

2,465 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by coyote68
coyote68
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Did he participate in the Battle of San Jacinto?

Thanks!
oldarmy76
I read one source where it said he was gaurdimg baggage and missed battle.

Why the interest? I stumbled upon Fisk when I found that lots of his family was buried on a project I'm developing right now.

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ffi25
Cen-Tex
AG
He's listed as a veteran of the battle and received 640 acres of land. He was just doing his duty at another location.

http://www.sanjacinto-museum.org/Library/Veteran_Bios/Bio_page/?id=1001&army=Texian
coyote68
oldarmy76 said:

I read one source where it said he was gaurdimg baggage and missed battle.

Why the interest? I stumbled upon Fisk when I found that lots of his family was buried on a project I'm developing right now.

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ffi25

Are you developing the tract on the South Gabriel?

My family owned the ranch between 183 and the Greenleaf Fisk- Tom Cashion place. We recently sold the last part of our family's land. I believe Fisk lived on that land starting in 1838. I believe it was owned by 3 families from 1838 until it was sold for development. I believe our property was owned by 2 families during that time period.

I live on a family ranch about a mile south of the river. Lots of history at the Fisk-Cashion river crossing. It was the only place to cross the river in a wagon from Georgetown to west of Liberty Hill. People leaving Bastrop went north to Brushy Creek and followed Brushy to just east of Leander and went north along what is now County Road 270 to cross the river to head to what is now Burnet and Lampasas counties. Buffalo Hump took some scalps here.
oldarmy76
Having an interest in Texas history, I'm always interested in learning about the history of the land that projects we are creating sit on. This one obviously has a lot.
We found a couple lost traps that appear to day back to around 1900 on the place.

Was the giddins (sp?) tract your family's? Are you calling the Fisk tract what the caughfield family owned and sold to be developed?
Is the crossing you are talking about the abandoned low water crossing where cr266/267 meet up down by the San Gabriel?

He developer recently did some gpr on the old fisk cemetery and located a number of additional grave sites besides the ones hat had remaining head/foot stones
I'd love to learn more about the history of the property there.
coyote68
What you refer to as the Giddens tract was originally owned by Tom and Emma Hamilton, my great- grand parents. Their only daughter was Irene Hamilton Mason, my grandmother. She had 6 children, 2 of which are still living. One is my mother and the other is My mother's youngest sister. Irene Mason gave each of her 6 children a divided interest in the ranch. My mother received the tract with the old house and log barn. It was sold to the City of Leander in 2016.

My grandmothers childhood was spent on the ranch. My great-grandmother lived until I was 15 and I had many long conversations with her about the history. She was friends with Tom Cashion.

I believe the land passed from Fisk to Cashion to the Davis family. Mrs. Caughfield was Mr. Davis' only daughter.

The river crossing, known as Cashion's crossing Is where County Road 270 becomes South Gabriel. It was still in use until about 20 years ago.

My great grand mother often told me that Mr. Cashion kept his money in gold coins and had them buried on the property for safe keeping. She always thought his gold was still buried.
oldarmy76
Well, since I only live a few miles from he project, I think I'm doing more site visits now....
oldarmy76
And whoever your broker was did a great job with the city of Leander.
coyote68
My "Granny" was serious about the gold coins. She was very good friends with Mr. Cashion. Watch out for snakes!
oldarmy76
Do you know where green leafs house was located (or any of the other old homes) on the property?
coyote68
Greenleaf built a cabin. I do not know it's location. I will check at home and see if I can locate anything. I will see my mother in the next couple of days and ask her.

Yes, I remember Mr. Cashion's house.

Bighunter43
AG
coyote68 said:

My "Granny" was serious about the gold coins. She was very good friends with Mr. Cashion. Watch out for snakes!

This reminded me of my Dad who was a kid outside of Liberty Hill in the 1930's. His grandfather, Abe Buck, bought a log cabin in the late 1800's (called the Williams-Buck cabin....a replica is on display at the Institute of Texas Cultures)...anyway when he was a kid, they had a big family get together at the cabin, and his 9 year old cousin was sitting on the porch dangling her feet and a huge rattlesnake came from underneath and bit her on the Achilles....she almost died, and Dad said they dropped medicine in the pasture for her by airplane! Side note....they dug up the floor of the house to kill the snake, and show it to his cousin that it was really dead! Watch out for snakes for sure!
oldarmy76
Do you have a map or aerial photo you could sketch on?
coyote68
I drove the old county road this morning that goes from Larkspur to
the river. About 200-300 yards north of the river on the east side of the old county road there is an old round metal water tank about 30-40 yards off the road. There are several pieces of old metal roofing closer to the fence. I believe that was the location of the Cashion house.

I'm still working on the location of the Fisk cabin.

Hope this helps.
oldarmy76
Found the cabin
expresswrittenconsent
Great thread. Really neat info.
coyote68
Congrats!

I just visited with my 94 year old mother and she remembered the cabin.

We have the abstract for the ranch that my great grand parents bought next to the Fisk/Cashion place. My great grand mother shared with me that she and her husband bought the place from the family that had obtained it in 1838.
coyote68
I'm interested where the cabin is.
oldarmy76
Just on the west side of the county road from the other places you described. I'm going to try to get a security fence put around it to preserve what's left (the area will eventually be park) of it. I got tons of historical photos and write ups on the place and it has fallen in quite disrepair even in the last 10 years.

Don't know if looters or age has finally taken its toll but the chimney seems to have been damaged a lot lately. I'd like to at least keep looters out. It would be awesome if it could be restored in some fashion.
coyote68
My mother's memory is that the cabin was very close to the Cashion house. So it is. I will communicate your finding the cabin site to her.

When you get an opportunity, read about the "Webster massacre". The information that I have read indicates the Webster party had crossed the South Gabriel headed north and turned back and recrossed the South Gabriel and were attacked by Buffalo Hump's Comanches between what is now Hero Way and RR2243. I am reasonably sure the painter not crossing was at the Fisk/Cashion crossing. The remains of the Webster party were buried in the cemetery that is on 2243 just east of H L Chapman.

Thanks for you work.
Mariann0
FISK CASHION LAND

I am Mariann Fisk Laughlin, director of the Mary Ann Manlove Fisk Fund . I have been on the old home place, together with professional archeologists, geologists and an employee of THC trying to preserve the areas at the old home place (now Larkspur) and the old cabin with the chimnirs. Theses chimnirs were built and hewn by hand by my gg grandfather, Judge Greenleaf Fisk. I gave all the info on this cabin and it's history and begged Milestone to preserve it . They never seemed interested. I am glad to see that you are trying to do something. I have the answers to all of your questions. BTW, I gave all of the cabin info plus pictures to Steve Walkup right after Milestone purchased the property.

You may email me at truetexaswomen@gmail.com.

I see that oldarmy's g grand married into the Mason clan. Greenleaf sold them their land when they came from N Carolina, along with the Carothers and the Brysons. Members of the Fisk family intermarried with them, making us all cousins or cousins in law.
coyote68
Hmmm.

Very interesting.

I live on a ranch about 1 1/2 miles south of the Fisk Cashion. It belonged to my great grand father, Clabe Mason (1863-1954). It was originally part of the Bryson.

Clabe Mason was the grandson of C C Mason. He was married to Minnie Cluck the daughter of George and Harriet Cluck. Minnie Cluck went up the Chisholm Trail as a 2 year old riding in her mother's wagon. Clabe was a cowboy who went up the Chisholm Trail and then took cattle on to Montana like the Lonesome Dove cowboys.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.