Help a Museum Guy Out

1,959 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JABQ04
Aggies Revenge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My Google skills are failing me and I have not been able to locate anything like this in our reference books.
Anyone know anything about this style of belt buckle? It came in with a collection of WWII and Vietnam artifacts.

Chazz03
AG
To me this is more of a WWI era or pre WWI style of buckle. It may be a one off someone made. Looks like stars and bar to me.
Chazz03
AG
My next guess would be horse tack
JABQ04
AG
My initial guess is some type of buckle for web gear. How big is it?

This has turned into my project tonight at work on my down time.
Aggies Revenge
AG
It is about the size of a belt buckle but not really rugged enough for one. I am beginning to think and Chazz pointed this out on the OB that it might be a sash or scarf pin/buckle. It is not designed to support much weight at all.

BQ78
AG
Well it must be a World War II artifact because as Cowboy pointed out in Full Metal Jacket
Quote:

You know there's not a single horse in the entire country of Vietnam?
HollywoodBQ
AG
Aggies Revenge said:

It is about the size of a belt buckle but not really rugged enough for one. I am beginning to think and Chazz pointed this out on the OB that it might be a sash or scarf pin/buckle. It is not designed to support much weight at all.
Complete guess but, I agree with your OB reference that it could be a Scottish Scarf Ring.

Sapper Redux
What does the back look like?
Aggies Revenge
AG
Dr. Watson said:

What does the back look like?
Back is completely plain with "Sterling" stamped in it and a single proof mark on it.

CanyonAg77
AG
Go on "Antiques Roadshow"!

Half serious, maybe a antique jewelry guy can ID the hallmark
HollywoodBQ
AG
Talking with my kid at VMI over the weekend, it occurred to me that since this brooch was donated in a military context, it might be from a bagpiper.

A quick tour around the internet turned up this photo showing something similar near the bagpiper's shoulder.

JABQ04
AG
The only thing that makes me think it isn't that is the fact the prongs of the buckle extend past the buckle itself. Seems like it would make fastening something decorative like that pretty hard. It still strikes me as a buckle of types although probably more decorative or ornamental since it doesn't appear to be very sturdy
BQ78
AG
So what is it made out of? The front makes me think bronze but the back makes me think silver.
Chazz03
AG
Town Bands
Shared this info on the thread the OP started on the outdoor board. This buckle is pre WWI and was likely used by a town band member as a sash buckle, Not meant to carry weight. Similar to the above bag pipe player.
Pryor Mfg. Co.
Newark, NJ 1909-c. 1915
Became a part of B.M. Shanley, Jr., Co

Some of these band members took their stuff pretty serious and many decked out and took photos.

I believe this guy is wearing a similar buckle across his chest.

As for value unless it can be tied to someone or thing the link below is a buckle made by same manufacturer on ebay.
ebay link
Would be interesting to know more about the family that donated the item to see if it's from a their history or purchased somewhere.
Aggies Revenge
AG
Unfortunately, this was a case of "we found this box of a stuff in Dad's closet after he died and we have no idea what any of it is." Which is about 75% of our donations.

JABQ04
AG
Any idea what the dad did? Was he in the service?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.