March 26th, 1945 -- Battleship Texas continues outstanding service

1,225 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Hogties
FTACo88-FDT24dad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
March 26th, 1945 -- Battleship Texas continues outstanding service

On this day in 1945, the battleship Texas supported the landings for the battle of Okinawa, the final great amphibious assault of World War II. The keel of the Texas, the second battleship to bear this name, was laid at Newport News, Virginia, on April 17, 1911. After serving in the Atlantic Fleet in the First World War, she supported the World War II landings in North Africa, Omaha Beach, southern France, and Iwo Jima. After more than thirty-four years of naval service she was retired and given to the state of Texas to be used as a memorial. She is permanently moored at the San Jacinto Monument off the Houston Ship Channel

Here's to my great Uncle Martin "Red" Robinson who lied about his age, volunteered for the Navy and drove a landing craft at Torch and then moved to the Pacific and drove Marines to Iwo Jima and to Okinawa, where he was barely 20 when he lost his hearing from the battleships at Okinawa and while firing his general quarters .30 cal at kamikazes for days on end.

Uncle Red was also in the group that first reconnoitered the streets of Nagasaki after the bombing.

Incredible stories.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
Hogties
AG
I visit the Texas every now and then because it reminds me of my grandfather landing on D-Day. This is an except of a letter from him printed in the local paper. Very special to me because I hear it in his Arkansas storytelling voice.

https://flic.kr/p/cctQrS
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.