Scottish History

2,492 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Rongagin71
DartAg1970
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am wanting to look into more or my heritage. What would anyone recommend to get me started on Scottish history and heritage?
Rongagin71
AG
I use Scottish history as one of my hobbies, but you probably want something family related so start by figuring what sort of ancestors you had, highland and/or lowland, and Google their names...many families and clans have contacts listed on the net.

TheCougarHunter
AG
I hear Braveheart is pretty accurate
Rongagin71
AG
You know Braveheart was drama and only vaguely historical, but there is a lot of mythology mixed in with Scottish history:

P.H. Dexippus
AG
Maternal great-great-grandfather was a McIntosh, came to Richmond, VA over from Furnace Lochfyne, Argyleshire around 1880.
Rongagin71
AG
Some MacIntosh material:
http://www.rampantscotland.com/clans/blclanmacintosh.htm

BTW, Largs was where the Scots finally defeated the Vikings (the fighting was inconclusive, but the result was very favorable).
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Found another page: http://www.greatscottishclans.com/clans/Mackintosh.php
It indicates that the Moy was the ancestral home of the McIntosh clan. Unfortunately, the castle is gone but if use Google Street, you can see what looks to be an ancient chapel and graveyard. If I was the modern owner of that property, I'd spend nearly every waking hour exploring!
https://www.google.com/maps/place/57%C2%B022'49.5%22N+4%C2%B002'43.6%22W/@57.3804158,-4.0542262,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d57.3804053!4d-4.0454496

Quote:

Moy, near Inverness, has been the home of the chiefs of Clan Mackintosh since the fourteenth century.

The original Castle of Moy stood on an island in Loch Moy but in 1700 a house was built at the north end of the loch.

It was here that Charles Edward Stuart was entertained in 1746, by Lady Anne Mackintosh, a Jacobite supporter. Her husband, the clan chief, was fighting for the Government Army. Prince Charles escaped capture here. Lord Louden's government soldiers were sent from Inverness, to halt his progress. Lady Mackintosh, secretly informed about the planned capture, arranged for four of her men to hide by the roadside when the government troops approached. Setting off their pistols to fire one at a time, they were to shout for the clans of MacDonald and Cameron to advance, thus tricking the government army into thinking they had stumbled into the whole of the Jacobite Army. The trick worked, and Lord Louden's troops speedily retreated. The event is known as 'The Rout of Moy'

The house was accidentally burned down in the time of Aeneas, the twenty-third chief. He had Moy Hall built in 1800. It was remodelled in the 1870s by architect John Rhind who added the tower and two large wings. The Hall had sixty rooms. During the 1950s the building was found to have dry rot. Despite remedial treatment it was finally demolished and a new, much plainer house, designed by Gordon Gunn of George Gordon & Co., was built in 1955-57.
http://www.ambaile.org.uk/detail/en/37292/1/EN37292-moy-hall.htm
JR69
AG
My first ancestor in the Americas was an enlisted man in one of the highland regiments that fought during the French & Indian War. It isn't clear whether he just remained here when his regiment was disbanded or if he was a deserter. My family hails from the highlands near Loch Ness, some small town in Ross-shire. During WW2, while my dad was stationed in England, he took some leave and looked up his distant cousins in the highlands. Somewhere I have a photo of him in full Scottish dress attire.
AEK
AG
The 42nd Regiment or "Black Watch" as they are known was actively engaged in the American theater during the 7 Years War. They are the most famous of the Highland Regiments. There were a few others as well but I am not certain.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/42nd_Regiment_of_Foot
JR69
AG
AEK said:

The 42nd Regiment or "Black Watch" as they are known was actively engaged in the American theater during the 7 Years War. They are the most famous of the Highland Regiments. There were a few others as well but I am not certain.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/42nd_Regiment_of_Foot

In addition to the 42nd Regiment of Foot (the Black Watch), the 77th Regiment of Foot (Montgomerie's Highlanders) and the 78th Regiment of Foot (Fraser's Highlanders) were raised specifically for the 7 Years War and served in North America. Both were disbanded in 1763. Many of the officers and enlisted men remained in North America when their regiment was disbanded.
OldArmy71
AG
Interesting!

My 5xgreat grandfather, William Ross, came to America with the 42nd Highlanders and settled in Lancaster, PA. He was a major in the Continental Army during the Revolution.
JR69
AG
OldArmy71 said:

Interesting!

My 5xgreat grandfather, William Ross, came to America with the 42nd Highlanders and settled in Lancaster, PA. He was a major in the Continental Army during the Revolution.
I wonder if we are distant cousins. I'd have to dig up my family tree but I'm pretty sure there is at least one William Ross in there a ways back
OldArmy71
AG
According to my info, the first William Ross I have in the family tree was born in Tain, Ross and Cromarty, in Scotland in 1727.

His son, also William Ross, died in 1852 in Frederick, MD.

His son, William Johnson Ross, died in 1883 in Frederick.
Rongagin71
AG
Dumbarton (fort of the Britons) is located on an ancient volcanic outcrop by the Clyde estuary.
It holds the oldest known fortifications in Britain.
Happy Easter!
https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-verizon&sa=X&q=Dumbarton+Castle&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgFuLUz9U3MIw3MUpSAjPNUqoqKrQUs5Ot9HPykxNLMvPz9JMzSypL8svzrBJLSooSk0FixQBsK8pwOwAAAA&ved=0ahUKEwj7gbyvkYvYAhUE4GMKHcUwBtAQxA0IbTAN&biw=360&bih=568#imagekey=!1e1!2s&lkt=LocalPoiPhotos&trex=m_t:lcl_akp,rc_f:nav,rc_ludocids:6005959775571955597,rc_qumbarton%2520Castle%252C%2520Castle%2520Rd%252C%2520Dumbarton%2520G82%25201JJ%252C%2520UK,ru_qumbarton%2520Castle%252C%2520Castle%2520Rd%252C%2520Dumbarton%2520G82%25201JJ%252C%2520UK&viewerState=lb
CBattBQ87
AG
My Scottish Immigrant Ancestor was sent to Maryland in 1651, as an Endentured Servant. He was captured at the Battle of Worcester, the final battle of the English Civil War that pitted Charles II Scottish Royalists against Cromwell's Parliamentarian New Model Army.
Rongagin71
AG
Way back there, Weaver's were male and Webster's were female. My ancestors were named Weaver because they made sailcloth from flax.
In 1801, the Russian flax crop failed which led to eleven year old David Weaver being sent over to work on the Wallace Plantation in Old Virginia.
He was bonded 10 years to pay for his transport, then married a lady named America, who was part American Indian - they had 5 children, one of whom went West and joined the Boone Brothers colony on the Missouri - one of his sons came to Texas to join Bigfoot Wallace's raid on Mexico, but got here too late and instead was the second schoolmaster in the Dallas area, he was my great grandfather.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.