Confederate Monuments Vandalized at South Mountain, MD

1,844 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ag_EQ12
BQ78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Remember when they said they were only cool on the battlefields? Apparently that has changed

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article203707029.html
tmaggies
AG
Absolutely sick.....
OldArmy71
Fersen
Lincoln regarded this nation as one country , never recognizing Southern independence . The North's greatest field commander and its greatest fighting admiral , George H. Thomas and David Glasgow Farragut , were from Virginia and Tennessee , respectively . This monument does not glorify war , it does not promote slavery , it does not glorify any Southern leader ; all it does is hionor the dead . Remember , always , "Rich man's fight , poor man's war " was the common Souther soldier's lament , not Northern ( you'll run into it in "Company Aytch " and other memoirs ) . I hiked nearby in 2003 with my eight year old son , along the section of the Appalachian Trail that straddles the field where Rutherford B. Hayes was badly wounded leading the 23 Ohio in a bayonette charge against those same North Carolinians ( only president ever seriously wounded in combat ) , near where General Jesse Reno was killed ( Reno Nevada was named after him ) . THIS IS SACRED GROUND , WHATEVER YOUR POLITICAL AFFILIATION , RELIGION ( or lack of one ) ,...whatever ! We need to wake up , my friends . Two can play at this game as well , in fact . Let's put the brakes on this travesty now ! This makes this Long Islander so angry , unspeakaably angry . This not a Southern issue ! This is a question of honoring the dead , of our nation's ability to "bind up the wounds ...." and honor Lincon's pledge in his Second Innaugural : " with malice towards none......." I welcome any reasoned , respectful response to this .
bufrilla
AG
AMEN!!
Rongagin71
AG
We have had the discussion about whether slavery was the "only" cause of the war, but this article is unusually fair to the South:
https://www.abbevilleinstitute.org/blog/righteous-cause-mythology/
Sapper Redux
To the OP, monuments on battlefields should be off limits unless there is something just blatantly objectionable about them.

To your article, the Abbeville Institute (names after John C. Calhoun's birthplace) is a questionable source of Lost Cause-style nostalgia and that article is a lot of academic straw men. No one is arguing that slavery is the only proximate cause (though it is the overwhelming proximate cause of the war), but it is by far the root cause of the war. Tariffs and internal improvements were only issued because of the society created in the South and maintained by slavery. 2/3rds of Southern families don't own slaves? True. How many worked as overseers, rented slaves, used slave labor at times, or hoped to one day own slaves to rise into the middle class? How many based their personal worth on being white? And how many feared insurrection and the results of emancipation?

This article is feel-good, not scholarly or convincing.
BQ78
AG
Quote:

blatantly objectionable
Based on whose criteria? I'm sure if you asked the vandals, they would claim they were "blatantly objectionable."
Rongagin71
AG
Boycott of New Orleans park that allowed statue to be removed is hurting funding:
https://www.facebook.com/ConservativeResponseTeam/posts/1102431983233399

And judge orders tarp removed from statues
in Charlottesville:
https://pilotonline.com/news/nation-world/virginia/article_3429fdc7-fff2-50ee-97dd-42b1ee035eaa.html
Ag_EQ12
AG
BQ78 said:

Quote:

blatantly objectionable
Based on whose criteria? I'm sure if you asked the vandals, they would claim they were "blatantly objectionable."

Yeah that's the tricky part. My guess is you would need a preponderance of the local or state population along with legislative (at whatever level) will and in consultation with experts to consider some kind of alteration or removal of a battlefield monument.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.