The other side of the Alamo -- upcoming art exhibit in San Antonio

2,517 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Propane & Accessories
$240 Worth of Pudding
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.guadalupeculturalarts.org/opening-reception-the-other-side-of-the-alamo/

Stumbled across this while looking for something else this morning. As a Mexican-American, this really ****ing pisses me off. I'm absolutely sick and tired of the revisionist, victim mentality that seems to be consuming every aspect of our society. This line in particular from the press release is comical, and yet these people believe truly have this mentality.

Quote:

"Though commonly known as the 'Cradle of Texas Liberty,' the Battle of the Alamo unleashed a chain of events that included the Mexican American War, the annexation of half of Mexico, and the spread of slavery," said Cordova. "The powerful and evocative art works highlight how the Alamo has affected people of color by giving expression to these suppressed narratives."

JABQ04
AG
For ****s sake.
Cen-Tex
AG
UC Berkeley...nuff said
Rabid Cougar
AG
Who was being suppressed in the 1820 and 30's??????
OldArmy71
AG
So brave.
BQ78
AG
Dr. Cordova was pulling his punches and being too nice, I fixed it for him:

Quote:

The Battle of the Alamo unleashed a chain of depravity that included the US's wicked invasion of Mexico, the stealing of half of Mexico's country, the subjugation of its inhabitants and the spread of white dominated slavery, with its associated suffering and tearing apart of families.
aalan94
AG
As a Mexican-American, you should read up on the 1813 Revolution, where Tejanos stood for freedom alongside Anglos in a battle against Spanish monarchists. They fought together and died together. A much better message to teach our kids than this race-baiting crap.
CanyonAg77
AG
What does a Mexican Wrestler have to do with the Alamo?

CanyonAg77
AG
Did anyone else notice that the exhibition begins on the anniversary of the beginning of the Siege of the Alamo?
Cen-Tex
AG
If I were a taxpayer in SA, I wouldn't be happy about my $$ supporting projects like this. It's more of a political statement than historical presentation.
Apache
AG
Next month, Anglo-American artists will be tasked to counter the following mainstream myths:

1. That Mexico controlled the entire SW United States prior to the early 19th century.
2. That Mexico would be a paradise if it wasn't for the United States.
3. Santa Anna was a beloved general & leader who had the best interests of Mexico in mind.
Cen-Tex
AG
Apache said:

Next month, Anglo-American artists will be tasked to counter the following mainstream myths:

1. That Mexico controlled the entire SW United States prior to the early 19th century.
3. Santa Anna was a beloved general & leader who had the best interests of Mexico in mind.

include:

4. That from 1825 -1830, some 30,000 US immigrants settled in Texas without Mexico's consent.
5. That Santa Anna was a huge advocate for states rights and never abolished the Constitution of 1824.
Rongagin71
AG
Just being the first to claim an area, like the moon,
is not nearly so powerful an argument as actual occupation of the area.
Obama spent about $8billion helping immigrants settle here, wonder what his objective was?
Borders, even with walls, are only effective if enforced.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Famous quote from a Comanche sitting on his horse on top of a mesa in West Texas " I'l be your huckleberry."
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
aalan94 said:

As a Mexican-American, you should read up on the 1813 Revolution, where Tejanos stood for freedom alongside Anglos in a battle against Spanish monarchists. They fought together and died together. A much better message to teach our kids than this race-baiting crap.

I'm sure you meant well as evidenced by your final sentence but the overall tone of your post was condescending as hell.
Why do you assume I'm ignorant of the Tejano contributions to our state's history?
CanyonAg77
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

Famous quote from a Comanche sitting on his horse on top of a mesa in West Texas " I'l be your huckleberry."
Was that before or after Billy Dixon took him out with a shot from 1,538 yards?
Stupe
S
aalan94 said:

I'm pretty sure that's why he said that the the exhibit pisses him off.
Rabid Cougar
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Rabid Cougar said:

Was that before or after Billy Dixon took him out with a shot from 1,538 yards?
Yep. From about the early 1700's until about that time.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Stayed at the Menger this past weekend. Alamo Plaza was total circus/travesty . The entire area around the plaza should be leveled.
p_bubel
Rabid Cougar said:

Stayed at the Menger this past weekend. Alamo Plaza was total circus/travesty . The entire area around the plaza should be leveled.
Ain't going to happen.
Propane & Accessories
AG
Cen-Tex said:

Apache said:

include:

4. That from 1825 -1830, some 30,000 US immigrants settled in Texas without Mexico's consent.
5. That Santa Anna was a huge advocate for states rights and never abolished the Constitution of 1824.
6. He never ordered the execution of captured POWs they simply died of acute lead poisoning
7. He outlawed Slavery which was really great and he thinks Trump's wall is a monument to hate

All in all this crap reminds me of that one King of the Hill episode where they have the Alamo play and Hank makes an impassioned speech before an asinine production. Probably my favorite episode
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.