Sam Houston

1,641 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by huisachel
oldvalleyrat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was at the book store last week and bought the new issue of Strategy & Tactics Magazine. It had a nice article about Sam Houston.
aalan94
AG
Sam Houston had a strategy? He was the king being drug to a decision by the pawns.
huisachel
That is unfair to Houston, Aalan; nobody knows if he had a strategy. We do know that if he did, he never shared it with anybody. I suspect he just worked ad hoc and his brilliance was in ignoring all the incessant pleas to do something stupid.

By the way, I love the work you are doing on Gutierrez and McGee. See you in San Marcos in March?
The Original AG 76
AG
aalan94 said:

Sam Houston had a strategy? He was the king being drug to a decision by the pawns.
The closest thing to a strategy he had during the Runaway Scrape was based on the supposed massing of US troops near the Sabine. It was believed that ole Sam was thinking that he could lure Santa Anna into approaching the Sabine and that the US would " intervene" in order to save the Texians from an inevitable massacre. However when it became more and more apparent that the Texian troops under Sam were on the verge of a mutiny to the point that it was believed that Sam knew that he could not hold the Army together for even another day, he decided to take advantage of the strategic location and advantages offered at San Jacinto. Of course it really helped that the Napoleon of the West split his army and extended his supply lines to the breaking point in his typical arrogance and underestimate of his opponent.
ABATTBQ87
AG
huisachel said:

That is unfair to Houston, Aalan; nobody knows if he had a strategy. We do know that if he did, he never shared it with anybody. I suspect he just worked ad hoc and his brilliance was in ignoring all the incessant pleas to do something stupid.

By the way, I love the work you are doing on Gutierrez and McGee. See you in San Marcos in March?

There's a really good Tex-Mex Place West of San Marcos on Ranch Road 12 at the junction called Milagro's
huisachel
Texas State Historical Association meeting is in San Marcos this year. Huisache believes in Milagros and I'll try it out. Thanx
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.