Happy Confederate Heroes Day

3,428 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BQ78
The Original AG 76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jan 19 is not only Marse Roberts birthday but also a state recognized Texas holiday named Confederate Heroes Day.
Many of us have great great greats who went off to war to fight for Texas , many never to return. The real heroes ( of ALL wars) are the simple farm or city boys who , like most soldiers of all sides in most wars, knew very little of the issues or great dramas behind the conflict but simply answered the call to arms to defend their homeland. Many died in far away strange states or in the POW extermination camps scattered in a foreign land. We honor their patriotism and sacrifices and strive to keep their memories alive.
God Bless Texas
God Save the South
BQ78
AG
Will it be one of the last ones celebrated in Texas? Looking that way.
The Original AG 76
AG
BQ78 said:

Will it be one of the last ones celebrated in Texas? Looking that way.
there has been attempts to kill it in the last few sessions but it has survived. It will likely survive a few more but the days of remembering our heroes are numbered. Hopefully ,by then, I will be in the home more worried about who will swap out the drool cup than this stuff....
Rongagin71
AG
Yellow Rose of Texas by Hoyt Axton,
the "played hell" version:

JABQ04
AG
Like that version. Unfortunately Hood was way over his being an Army commander. Handled Regiments, Brigades and Divisions effectively. Army command was too much.
Rongagin71
AG
Yeah, he had an outdated belief in frontal attack that really did not work against repeating rifles, especially when his own troops mostly had shotguns or muskets. By the end, the Confed was outgunned.

JABQ04
AG
Ironically his "Texas Brigade's" reputation was built on their ability to smash through the Yankees like a sledgehammer. Granted took enormousness casualties doing it. The fact they took catastrophic casualties over and over yet still remained an effective fighting force was amazing
rugger74
AG
Great post by Original and a topic most people do not comprehend. Our Confederate ancestors, like many others, fought for their state and were not wealthy slave owners or land owners, but a working class that answered the call of state pride and state rights.
Sapper Redux
rugger74 said:

Great post by Original and a topic most people do not comprehend. Our Confederate ancestors, like many others, fought for their state and were not wealthy slave owners or land owners, but a working class that answered the call of state pride and state rights.

About half of the original Army of Northern Virginia were slave owners or worked directly with slavery.

See Joseph Glatthaar's, Soldiering in the Army of Northern Virginia.

Here's a good summation of the research:
https://freedmenspatrol.wordpress.com/2016/02/22/the-army-of-northern-virginia-and-slavery-by-the-numbers/
rugger74
AG
Dr. My post had more to do about our Texas ancestors than the rest of the south. Thanks for the other info.
Rongagin71
AG
Virginia was unusual in that most of the free men there had ancestors that rec'd 50 acres.
Washington once said he had never met a poor Virginian.
My GGG-grandfather, David Weaver, was sent over from Scotland to the Wallace Plantation in 1801 (even though he was only eleven, but the Russian flax crop had failed so that the family sailcloth making business was in trouble), after being bonded for ten years to pay for the passage, he married a part Indian woman named America and had five children - on their fifty acres.
Rabid Cougar
AG
JABQ04 said:

Ironically his "Texas Brigade's" reputation was built on their ability to smash through the Yankees like a sledgehammer. Granted took enormousness casualties doing it. The fact they took catastrophic casualties over and over yet still remained an effective fighting force was amazing

Mainly because not all the regiments were gutted in any one engagement. Each had their "moment of glory' in different battles.

Perhaps my favorite Texas Brigade moment is when they faced the 5th New York Zouves during 2nd Manassas. The results looked "like wild flowers in spring on a Texas hillside".

They had previously wintered opposite of the Texas Brigade on the Rappahannock and there was bad blood between them.
JABQ04
AG
Very bad blood indeed. I may have asked you before, but have you read Simpson's "Hoods Texas Brigade". There is a good write up of that as well in it

I enjoyed LTC Uptons actions at Gaines Mill as probably my favorite story.
Rabid Cougar
AG
JABQ04 said:

Very bad blood indeed. I may have asked you before, but have you read Simpson's "Hoods Texas Brigade". There is a good write up of that as well in it

I enjoyed LTC Uptons actions at Gaines Mill as probably my favorite story.

I have had a copy since I was I high school. I bought it at the Museum in Hillsboro when I went to see him speak at a symposium with my re-enactment "unit" from the Waco/Central Texas area.
Aust Ag
AG
I visited Manassas, The Wilderness, Spottsville, Appromattox and Fredricksburg last week....by myself. Pretty awesome. Bad weather and middle of week made for a cool experience, almost nobody around. Well, that's actually good and bad.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Aust Ag said:

I visited Manassas, The Wilderness, Spottsville, Appromattox and Fredricksburg last week....by myself. Pretty awesome. Bad weather and middle of week made for a cool experience, almost nobody around. Well, that's actually good and bad.
That is actually the best time to visit the battlefields, when no one is around. . I had the best time ever when i visited about 10 battlefields with my brother, also a ACW geek, with our maps and books. That is when you look at the terrain/distances and think "Holy crap! They were THAT close!".

Another cool experience is to run the battle line roads at Gettysburg. Also give you a very neat perception.
huisachel
We should quit trying to Winnie around the slavery issue when talking about our ancestors' bravery and persistence. The Spartans at Thermopylae based their economy on slavery and pederasty was a way of life. So should we tear down their monuments or continue to honor their courage and devotion?
Sapper Redux
huisachel said:

We should quit trying to Winnie around the slavery issue when talking about our ancestors' bravery and persistence. The Spartans at Thermopylae based their economy on slavery and pederasty was a way of life. So should we tear down their monuments or continue to honor their courage and devotion?

Do we live in a society created and shaped by Spartan slavery and pederasty? It's not an apples-to-apples comparison.
Sapper Redux
Rabid Cougar said:

Aust Ag said:

That is actually the best time to visit the battlefields, when no one is around. . I had the best time ever when i visited about 10 battlefields with my brother, also a ACW geek, with our maps and books. That is when you look at the terrain/distances and think "Holy crap! They were THAT close!".

Another cool experience is to run the battle line roads at Gettysburg. Also give you a very neat perception.

Best time to visit Gettysburg is during the winter. No one is there and the lack leaves on the trees offers fantastic views of the whole battlefield.
Spore Ag
Yes, the problem with the CW battlefields as most are part of the Parks Service and have issues with cutting down trees.
Sapper Redux
Spore Ag said:

Yes, the problem with the CW battlefields as most are part of the Parks Service and have issues with cutting down trees.

I know Gettysburg has been working to trim back the trees to present an accurate depiction of the battlefield, but that process has been ongoing for years.
JABQ04
AG
Visited Gettysburg last summer and it looked great. Able to see tons from LRT. I follow the National Park there on FB and during the spring they did and posted a lot about controlled burns and lots of volunteers trimming away brush and foliage.
Whiskey Before Breakfast
AG
My Great Great GF had a upfront and close view of Wheatfield Road and Devils Den. 15th Ga Inf
Sapper Redux
Whiskey Before Breakfast said:

My Great Great GF had a upfront and close view of Wheatfield Road and Devils Den. 15th Ga Inf

I had several there. One in the Slaughter Pen with the 4th Maine and another with the 2nd Rhode Island as part of VI Corps.
BQ78
AG
Al the trees have been cut back on the south battlefield for the second day of fighting at Gettysburg. That was complete about 5 years ago.
BQ78
AG
I would say our society is in part shaped by Greek/Spartan history.
Sapper Redux
BQ78 said:

I would say our society is in part shaped by Greek/Spartan history.

The historyis consequential. But our current society and our nation were not formed and once dependent on helot slave labor. We had a different kind of slave labor.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Spore Ag said:

Actually that is not true. The NPS went through a huge tree removal program several years ago to return the battlefields to what they looked like at that time as part of the 150th anniversary events. What you see there today on most battlefields are exactly what was there 150 years ago. The best ones are Sharpsburg, Gettysburg, Chancellorsville/Wilderness/Spotsylvania and Shiloh.
BQ78
AG
So Democracy, the alphabet and the scientific method are inconsequential?

Thus sayeth Watson, thus it is.

Would there have been black slavery in America without Greek Revival Architecture?
Aggies Revenge
AG
I'm just going to put this out there and leave it.

I'm getting damned tired of the "Politics Board" level of crapping on the poster and not just having civil debate about historical subjects. I know none of us have the same concepts and ideas of what history is, its influence, and how it should be interpreted. That is why we have this board. To debate about history. Debating does not automatically include attacking others character or honor.

The one thing we can agree on is pretty much everyone on here has a love for history.

BQ78
AG
Who or what is being uncivil in this thread?
Aggies Revenge
AG
BQ78 said:

Who or what is being uncivil in this thread?
It is not just this thread. It has been multiple threads on here when someone posts a thought, idea, or notion that some don't agree. with. There have been enough of them made in recent times that my humor/sarcasm detector has been switched off and the ass detector has gone into overdrive.

Your recent post to Watson might have been made in jest but honestly, at this point I can't tell who is joking and who is being a jerk. Considering how sarcastic I am, that is saying quite a bit.

I am not specifically calling anyone out, I think that would be detrimental to what we do here. I am just asking for a bit more civility.

BQ78
AG
Well, my response was a bit of humor, surprise and a little disdain at his declarative statement. So I guess I was a humorous jerk.

I doubt Watson was offended, if he was, I apologize.

Not sure, what other threads you are referring to, I may have missed them.

But the Greek influence on mid-nineteenth century American mind in particular was important (not so much today). The educated men studied the Greeks and many of them learned Greek to read the Greek philosophers in the original language.

Watson implies consistently that there is no honor or anything to admire about the Confederacy due to slavery. An institution they were perpetrating that was protected by the US before they seceded and practiced by the most advanced civilization of its time the Ancient Greeks. Therefore, if there is no honor in the Confederacy due to slavery, there is none for the US, the Egyptians, the Ancient Greeks, the Romans, the Israelites, the Western Europeans, the Chinese ...

Moral relativism doesn't matter, Japanese slave labor during World War II is as immoral as the most benign situation (think Esther in the novel Ben Hur). Granted one is more horrid but both are equally immoral.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.