John Tyler has living grandchildren?

2,019 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Bighunter43
who?mikejones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm sure this has been covered on this board but wow. Tyler was born in 1790. His son, born 1853, had two sons born in 1924 and 1928 and they re still alive today.

Seems unbelievable.
BQ78
AG
Yes, we've covered this before. Lot's of interesting history associated with this. Their grandmother was Julia Gardner whose father David was killed in the Peacemaker explosion on the Potomac:

A number of Tyler's cabinet were killed in this incident but Tyler was spared as he was below decks courting Julia. She became the first first lady to marry the president while in office. Julia was only five years older than Tyler's oldest daughter by his first marriage, Letitia. Tyler became a Confederate congressman and when he died in 1862, Julia became the lover of James Semple, A Confederate naval officer who would be put in charge of the Confederate treasury when Richmond was falling. Semple was actually married to Tyler's daughter Letitia, when he became Julia's lover. Semple suppsedly hid the "missing Confederate gold" that gold prospectors are still looking for hidden near trees that he left cryptic carvings in at several locations throughout the south..

The Peacemaker was designed by John Erricson of USS Monitor fame and had a twin cannon that was never ever fired again due to the incident on the USS Princeton. If you go to the main gate of the USNA you can still see the twin.
Aust Ag
AG
who?mikejones said:

I'm sure this has been covered on this board but wow. Tyler was born in 1790. His son, born 1853, had two sons born in 1924 and 1928 and they re still alive today.

Seems unbelievable.
I saw that this week....crazy that there's a couple of guys running around that can say, "Yeah, my grandfather was the 10th president of the U.S."

Bighunter43
AG

You will enjoy this short interview with grandson Harrison Tyler!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.