WW1 Australian submarine found

2,395 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sapper Redux
The Fall Guy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-42435428

Cool read.
BQ78
AG
Interesting, I had no idea Australia had submarines but now I have a great trivia question, What country lost the first submarine in WW1?
aggiedata
AG
it really was down under
BQ78
AG
AggieData:

I don't know whether to blue star you or ask for your ban
aggiedata
AG
BQ78 said:

AggieData:

I don't know whether to blue star you or ask for your ban
Well, do both I probably deserve it for this or something else.
VanZandt92
BQ78 said:

Interesting, I had no idea Australia had submarines but now I have a great trivia question, What country lost the first submarine in WW1?

Germany?
BQ78
AG
Someone didn't read the article.
Bregxit
AG
BQ78 said:

Someone didn't read the article.

Aussie sub was the first allied country to lose a sub.
BQ78
AG
I guess someone else (me) didn't read the article close enough.
BQ78
AG
Looks like Van Zandt is right two U-Boats out of 9 or 10 (conflicting sources) were lost in August attacking the British fleet in the North Sea. There does not appear to be a definitive link out on the web though. Another website says they lost their first one after the Australian one, later that September off Flanders but it is a UK newspaper so dubious to me.
Lee72
AG
For a great reference about all WWI and WWII subs (u-boats and allied as well) and the shipping they sunk, check out [url] https://uboat.net/boats.htm [/url]
VanZandt92
I wasn't debating Germany vs Australia. I just assumed that with German naval history of the period it would have been one of theirs.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I can't imagine how sketchy a WW1 sub must have been. Probably like being in a sinking propane tank.
Aggies Revenge
AG
A propane tank probably smelled better too
AtlAg05
AG
Didn't everyone have to go into the front or back of the sub to help with surfacing/diving? Not sure if that was WWI or earlier subs.
HollywoodBQ
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

I can't imagine how sketchy a WW1 sub must have been. Probably like being in a sinking propane tank.
Not that Eastern Connecticut is on your list of places to tour but, I highly recommend the US Navy submarine school and museum at New London, CT.
Sapper Redux
easttexasaggie04 said:

I've been on the WWII U-Boat at Bremerhaven and as a ten year-old I felt cramped and uncomfortable. I can't imagine what WWI boat was like.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.