A new Billy the Kid photo...with Pat Garrett?

2,610 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BQ78
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://krqe.com/2017/11/13/experts-tintype-photo-of-billy-the-kid-pat-garrett-could-be-worth-millions/

Billy second from left, Garrett on far right. Although I assume this is a tintype, so the image is reversed from real life. Which seems likely, as the guy on the left is holding a pistol in his left hand. The guy with the pistol is believed to be Dirty Dave Rudabaugh.

Quote:

Experts now believe a photo purchased at a flea market for $10 shows Billy the Kid standing with the lawman who ultimately killed him, making the snapshot potentially worth millions.

Frank Abrams, a North Carolina attorney, first spotted the tintype photo in Asheville in 2011. The self-described history buff said the group picture of five men was part of a set and sat on his wall for several years.

who?mikejones
BQ78
AG
Color me skeptical, "Billy" is so blurry I don't see how it is confirmed. Also who are the so-called confirming experts who aren't named?
BrazosBendHorn
The "expert" is probably some schmoe who shelled out $400 back in the day for the entire collection of The Old West book series from Time-Life.
BQ78
AG
Actually "Billy" is Johnny Manziel, isn't he doing the money thing?

Anyway for the Texags sleuths to compare faces, I present confirmed photos:

I say the "Pat Garrett" in the new photo has too narrow a face.
WildcatAg
AG
Why are they all wearing rouge?
CanyonAg77
AG
WildcatAg said:

Why are they all wearing rouge?
Because the Old West was fabulous.

Or maybe the tintype is deteriorating. Look at the bottom.
BQ78
AG
19th century colorization. The "Garrett" guy almost looks like a corpse, they put a liottle color in the cheeks to let you know they are alive.

Looking at the "Billy" where are his famous buck teeth?
CanyonAg77
AG
I agree. Guy doesn't look like Billy to me, but I think you could make a case for the guy on the right being Garrett
BQ78
AG
I don't even think it is Garrett the chin is just not right,

Regardless the guy got a great photo for $10 even if they are bunch of nobodies, because at worst it is an interesting photo of nobodies.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.