The second to last offensive action in WW II

2,126 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Original AG 76
Ulysses90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I went to visit a very old Marine yesterday to wish him a happy birthday on his 101st (yes, born on Veteran's Day). I met him a year ago at a Veteran's Day celebration at the retirement home where he has lived since 1989.

Col Jack Morrison enlisted in February 1940 and was commissioned when he was selected to be an aviator. He earned his wings in December 1941 just days after Pearl Harbor was bombed. Col Morrison flew across the Pacific fighting over every island where the IV Amphibious Corps fought and was eventually based in Okinawa during the final days of the war.

Col Morrison told me that he did not realize it until years later but be believes that an attack that he led by his squadron on 7 August 1945 may have been the last non-nuclear weapons fired in WW II. He has his flight logbooks covering his 28 year career to back up his claim. On the morning of August 7, 1945 his squadron was to make an attack on an airfield on the Japanese mainland. The time on target for the attack was 0930, 1:15 minutes after the Enola Gay dropped Little Boy on Hiroshima. He and his squadron attacked the airfield and returned to Okinawa having completed an 800 mile round trip.

Upon reaching Okinawa they learned that a secret weapon had been dropped on Hiroshima and that all offensive actions in the Pacific Theater had been suspended. As far as he knows there were no other attacks on Japanese targets between the attack by his squadron and the dropping of Fat Man on Nagasaki on 14 August. While there may have been other actions about which he has no knowledge it is still an amazing story. Col Morrison served for 28 years on active duty before retiring in 1968.
Ag_EQ12
AG
That's cool! Glad you got the chance to talk with him. Sounds like he had an impressive career. It'd interesting to hear how airpower changed during his 28 years in the service.

His was certainly among the last combat missions, but there was still a bit more combat in the Pacific after Col Jack Morrison's attack on 7 August.

A few points to consider - Nagasaki was bombed on 9 August and 15 August is considered the end of the war (VJ Day). However fighting continued in a number of theaters after 7 August. For example in Burma the Battle of Sittang Bend was wrapping up with fighting continuing even after 15 August. The Navy conducted operations off the coast of Honshu with both bombardment and airstrikes on 9 and 10 August. Furthermore, the Soviet invasion of Manchuria didn't kickoff until 9 August and operations continued until early September.

I'm sure Titan could provide a great deal more info on the end of the war in the Pacific.
Ulysses90
AG
You are no doubt correct on the skirmishing in other areas of the far east that went beyond 15 August.

After the war Col Morrison was granted a regular commission because he had an engineering degree and they needed test pilots. He said that from 1945-47 the US was trying frantically to build a jet as good or better than the ones that pushed the ME 262 but they weren't having a lot of success. He was a Major at that time stationed at Patuxent River NAS where they were testing hybrid designs that had a prop on the front and jets on the back. He also described a modified F4U Corsair with a 3000hp 28 cylinder engine and a four blade prop that had a 7' radius. He flew that modified Corsair and said that it had tremendous power but would nearly shake itself apart at its top speed.

Col Morrison said that he flew every aircraft (fighters, helicopters, cargo, and reconnaissance) used by the Marine Corps from 1941-68 with the F-8 Crusader being the last aircraft he flew.
Cardiac Saturday
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Boot camp San Diego Oct. 45 - Ryan Air flying jetprop planes landing with props inactive - interesting to see.
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
GasAg90
My grandfather flew the first offensive action against Japanese home islands.
Ag_EQ12
AG
GasAg90 said:

My grandfather flew the first offensive action against Japanese home islands.

Doolittle Raider?
GasAg90
Yes, flew as a copilot on one of the crews.
Ag_EQ12
AG
Very cool!
The Original AG 76
AG
GasAg90 said:

Yes, flew as a copilot on one of the crews.
I got to meet and interview Col Dick Cole , last surviving Doolitte Raider a few weeks ago. What an great honor. I hope you got to talk to your grandfather and listen and learn. Great generation.
GasAg90
Dick Cole is an amazing man. I'm lucky to get to see him several times a year. At 102 his mind is sharper than mine ever was. Check out 'Dick Coles War' by Dennis Okerstrom. It chronicles his actions including the Raid, a year as a hump pilot, and as a pilot in the 1st air commandos. Definitely the greatest generation.

Where did you see him? He travels quite a bit.
The Original AG 76
AG
GasAg90 said:

Dick Cole is an amazing man. I'm lucky to get to see him several times a year. At 102 his mind is sharper than mine ever was. Check out 'Dick Coles War' by Dennis Okerstrom. It chronicles his actions including the Raid, a year as a hump pilot, and as a pilot in the 1st air commandos. Definitely the greatest generation.

Where did you see him? He travels quite a bit.

He was at the new Lone Star Flight museum at Ellington Field before the air show
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.