SRT and SAR

1,396 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Federale01
Twelfthman99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy, all...

So I finally got my application for Sons of the Republic of Texas completed and sponsored. I hope to be accepted into the La Bahia chapter in Goliad soon. My lineage was through Daniel Warfield Fuller who was in the Archer Campaign during the Indian uprisings in the summer of 1840. He came to Texas in 1834. Fortunately, my grandmother was a genealogist, so the combination of her records and ancestry.com made that process fairly easy...

Now, Sons of the American Revolution, not so much. My lineage is from Robert Young, Sr. who is credited with shooting Major Patrick Ferguson at the Battle of King's Mountain on 7 Oct 1780. This story is chronicled here: [url=https://texags.com/forums/Robert%20Young,%20Sr.%20at%20Battle%20of%20King's%20Mountain]Battle of King's Mountain[/url]. My lineage is secured through his daughter Elizabeth who married John Gilliland who gave birth to Abel Gilliland - Daniel Fuller's father-in-law.

So, having said all that, here is my question for those who have joined SAR before... Knowing that birth certificates, death certificates, etc. can be hard to acquire more than four or five generations back, will SAR recognize the genealogy published in this book as evidence of my lineage?

Robert Young, Sr., Patriot and Pioneer

I am mentioned along with the members of my family mentioned above...

Any help anyone could provide would be appreciated!
chilimuybueno
AG
I was recently admitted to SAR. My application materials included published lineage, wills and similar documentation.

Do you have a sponsor lined up?
Twelfthman99
AG
I'm trying to work through my local chapter, but as of now, I do not have a sponsor... congrats on getting in! I finished my application last night and now need to gather the signatures.
chilimuybueno
AG
Which chapter? You need to have a sponsor before pursuing signatures? They will precheck your application and documentation of lineage, including birth certificates, etc.
Twelfthman99
AG
San Antonio. I've reached out to the President and am waiting on a reply.
chilimuybueno
AG
Henry Garcia appears to be the membership chair. You should reach out to him.
VanZandt92
Bag all this and become a reenactor. I believe you that you are descended from a militia man. We make fun of the SAR.
VanZandt92
I'm partly kidding. But my hobby is visiting historical sites from the colonial era and tracking down ancestors in cemeteries. I was in Pennsylvania a few weeks back fighting in the Brandywine reenactment and drove down to Wilmington Delaware to an old colonial church on the Delaware River where my grandparents had married in about 1760. (Many greats yes). I still had my Continental Line uniform on and had black powder all over my face and clothes. It was fun.
Federale01
AG
You should be ok depending on the way the book is referenced. They will look at what documents are cited to back up that genealogy. For example, I submitted a genealogy where the writer stated he had read a letter from one relative to another which explained where my family moved. They wouldn't accept the content of that letter for several reasons. However, the same genealogy later mentioned finding specific records in a courthouse in a specific town. They accepted that because they believed the record could be reproduced again if I was able to travel to the same courthouse and get the records.

I have the SAR handbook which explains what they accept as proof if you would like it.
Federale01
AG
Here, this is easier. Here is a link to it:

http://www.ncssar.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/SAR-Application-Preparation-Manual-2015-06-01.pdf
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.