British history book recommendations?

2,150 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MAROON
Ulrich
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm looking for books on six topics in British history. Any recommendations?

1. Broad overview
2. The time of King Alfred and his descendants
3. 1066 and the events surrounding
4. James IV/I
5. The Glorious Revolution
6. The shifting of power from kings to parliament and the prime minister and how it happened
Sapper Redux
For number 5: 1688: The First Modern Revolution is an excellent read. I did part of my dissertation on the Puritan riots in Boston against James II and the Dominion of New England. Very, very interesting era.
AEK
AG
3. 1066: The year of the conquest
(removed:110205)
5/6. A Monarchy Transformed: 1603-1714 by Mark Kishlansky. Part of the Penguin History of Britain series.

oldarmy76
There is a great podcast called "revolutions" and I think his first one to do covered your number 6.

He also did one on the American, French, Haitian, central and South America, etc. I would highly recommend it.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
The British History Podcast should cover 1 and 2 very well.
Ulrich
Thanks everyone.
ag-bq-seventy
AG
Queen Victoria's Little Wars.
Aggiefan#1
AG
I'm reading The Queens Agent.
VanZandt92
Oh the king to Parliament as in the English Civil Wars?
VanZandt92
I personally am reading more about the English Reformation, Oliver Cromwell, and the history of Scotland during that period. We came across an ancestors who had been imprisoned by the Cromwellian regime and shipped to New England as indenture servant. Then he was killed in King Phillips War.

So the mid 17th century is one of my favorite topics right now.
VanZandt92
Back in British history books, I find way too many focus mainly on monarchs. Not sure why but every book I pick up seems that way.
Sapper Redux
Try "The Making of the English Working Class," by EP Thompson.
VanZandt92
Dr. Watson said:

Alright then.
Sapper Redux
VanZandt92 said:

Dr. Watson said:

Alright then.

I'm being a bit facetious. It's a very long book of labor history written by a preeminent Marxian historian decades ago. It's an extremely important book, but it's not the most fun thing out there. His article and chapter (in this book) on the moral economy of crowds is extremely important for my own research.
VanZandt92
Dr. Watson said:

VanZandt92 said:

Dr. Watson said:

Alright then.

I'm being a bit facetious. It's a very long book of labor history written by a preeminent Marxian historian decades ago. It's an extremely important book, but it's not the most fun thing out there. His article and chapter (in this book) on the moral economy of crowds is extremely important for my own research.

What is the moral economy of crowds?
VanZandt92
Back on the King Alfred up to 1066, I know this isn't a book, but there are some intelligent BBC programs about the Anglo Saxons that can help in this regard, or at least pique your interest. I'm also interested in books about the Anglo Saxons in terms of things besides just monarchs.

BBC somewhat about the controversy

Also please look at the results of the DNA survey conducted in Britain. It is very good and can tell much about what happened.
Sapper Redux
VanZandt92 said:

Dr. Watson said:

VanZandt92 said:

Dr. Watson said:

Alright then.

What is the moral economy of crowds?

That crowd actions often involved corrections to a perceived violation of the social order. In other words, instead of being mindless violent groups or pawns of instigators, there was a logic behind their demands and actions. Thompson looks at grain riots. People would riot if the price of bread went above what was considered morally acceptable and demand a reduction in the price to something they saw as "right" given the economic conditions. Often, as soon as the baker or merchant agreed, the crowd dispersed.
VanZandt92
Any further recs on Great Britain? I'm reading portions of the Anglo Saxon Chronicle, believe it or not. I'm thinking about reading Beowulf but I need some discussion of it to stay interested.
MAROON
AG
I just started volume 1 of Winston Churchill's History of the English Speaking Peoples

I'm guessing it would cover your #1
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.