For 20 years the French have been . . .

3,137 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by HollywoodBQ
jkag89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
building a medieval castle using medieval techniques, and the result Is Incredible.

Quote:

If you're fascinated with the middle ages, you don't need a time machine to visit the period. Guedelon Castle in Burgundy, France is a unique project where volunteers and researchers are constructing an authentic 13th century castle, using only techniques and materials that were available at the time.

SRBS
That's pretty effin cool!

I'd like to throw some stones at it with a trebuchet!
95_Aggie
AG
How long before they surrender it?
Rabid Cougar
AG
Now all they need is Rollo, Bjorn and Ivar the Boneless to show up on their door step.
The Original AG 76
AG
Where the hell is the cow-tapult ?

cbr
AG
AGnCS said:

I just spit scotch out my nose.
AgBQ-00
AG
I have at times wondered if the old castles would appear all that grand and ornate to our modern eyes. If you take the age factor away would they be the magnificent things we see them as?
ja86
AG
Middle ages castles could be impressive but 18th century 'castles', oh yeah.
Sapper Redux
AgBQ-00 said:

I have at times wondered if the old castles would appear all that grand and ornate to our modern eyes. If you take the age factor away would they be the magnificent things we see them as?

The interiors are much more grand with the original artwork and tapestries, etc, lining them. I was really impressed at some of the high medieval (or early renaissance) art I saw in compounds and on city walls in northern Italy. It made the area seem much more... human, rather than the bleak impression a lot of castles and walls leave today.
aalan94
AG
It's also important to remember that they're not frozen in time. They may have been built in the middle ages, but many were used and upgraded constantly for hundreds of years.
74OA
AG
......and many were expanded over the centuries from austere defensive keeps to include attached living quarters, eventually becoming a hybrid construction that is as much villa as castle. In fact, many generically labeled "castles" in Europe were never designed as military fortifications, but are large chateaus with architectural features that merely evoke a real castle.
VanZandt92
AGnCS said:

Look up the Normans.
HollywoodBQ
AG
aalan94 said:

It's also important to remember that they're not frozen in time. They may have been built in the middle ages, but many were used and upgraded constantly for hundreds of years.
Totally... When, I was in Germany in July, I stayed in this crumby hotel or at least that was my opinion at first. Later, when I found out its origins dated to 1682, I changed my tune. The lifespans of many of the structures in Europe are just mind-boggling to this American.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.