The Vietnam War - Ken Burns & Lynn Novick

20,980 Views | 153 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ABATTBQ87
redag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bufrilla said:

As a Vietnam veteran, I will say this, all so called documentaries may have a lot of facts left out to portray the opinion of the individual doing the work. Burns is well noted, but I guarantee it will have a slant. A politician's war, yes. It could have been ended within six months, but hands tied below the DMZ.

Any way, served 13 months as a Platoon Commander with India Company, 3rd Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment in 1968-1969. Then tour flying F4 Phantoms in 1972-73. Was also the Operations Officer for Task Force Delta out of an Expeditionary Base in Thailand.

I have plenty of hair raising, heart stopping, fast breathing events.

But will tell one about being on RR in Hawaii and was ask to do an interview with the BBC. I said No, but an Army Colonel said it was cleared and that I could do the interview. Well first question was what I thought of the new ROEs. I ask the commentator if he was referring to the "don't fire until fired upon" ROE. He said yes, and I told him straight up that it was a f---ing joke. We were just south of the DMZ, only good guys and bad guys. If I told my point fire team to only engage if fired on, they would be DEAD and I'll be damn if I was allowing that to happen. We know where the friendlies are, so anything we engage are the BAD GUYS, so SHOOT and we'll sort it out. Well, the BBC guy, gulped; the Colonel said interview terminated and I was off to have another BEER.
Political crap like that happened. Remember, only about 1 in 10 troops in Vietnam were actively involved in combat operations.

Semper Fi

bufrilla,

Did your time in 3/3 overlap Col. Harrington's time? Cant remember exactly when he was hit.
bufrilla
AG
redag06 said:

bufrilla said:

As a Vietnam veteran, I will say this, all so called documentaries may have a lot of facts left out to portray the opinion of the individual doing the work. Burns is well noted, but I guarantee it will have a slant. A politician's war, yes. It could have been ended within six months, but hands tied below the DMZ.

Any way, served 13 months as a Platoon Commander with India Company, 3rd Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment in 1968-1969. Then tour flying F4 Phantoms in 1972-73. Was also the Operations Officer for Task Force Delta out of an Expeditionary Base in Thailand.

I have plenty of hair raising, heart stopping, fast breathing events.

But will tell one about being on RR in Hawaii and was ask to do an interview with the BBC. I said No, but an Army Colonel said it was cleared and that I could do the interview. Well first question was what I thought of the new ROEs. I ask the commentator if he was referring to the "don't fire until fired upon" ROE. He said yes, and I told him straight up that it was a f---ing joke. We were just south of the DMZ, only good guys and bad guys. If I told my point fire team to only engage if fired on, they would be DEAD and I'll be damn if I was allowing that to happen. We know where the friendlies are, so anything we engage are the BAD GUYS, so SHOOT and we'll sort it out. Well, the BBC guy, gulped; the Colonel said interview terminated and I was off to have another BEER.
Political crap like that happened. Remember, only about 1 in 10 troops in Vietnam were actively involved in combat operations.

Semper Fi

bufrilla,

Did your time in 3/3 overlap Col. Harrington's time? Cant remember exactly when he was hit.
Dec'68-Nov10'69 (departed Cua Viet on an LST back to Oki.)
Marine Corps Birthday celebrated before boarding (bad mistake)
Company CO was Capt John Trott
Harrington hit during that time.
Paradise Ag
AG
Vietnam played big part in my life even though I was born in '58 and was exactly the age group that missed both the draft and selective service.

My Dad went over in '64 as a Chaplain with the 25th Infantry Division out of Hawaii to Pleiku. The movie "Platoon" was based on the 25th at Pleiku to get an idea of the experience. Told me years later he almost became an atheist over the tour. Dad went back a second time in '69 to a somewhat calmer Long Bhin. Ended up dying from Agent Orange poisoning just as he was retiring from BAMC at Ft Sam in San Antonio.

My Step-Dad flew Air Evac helicopters on two different 'Nam tours after being a "Solo Pilot" for a MASH unit in Korea. Got dementia at the end and seem to often relive the horrors of his experiences.

Been to the Vietnam Memorial a few times and it moves me like nothing else. Thousands of men and women who gave as much for their country as anyone ever yet returned to scorn and ridicule instead of a hero's welcome.

God bless them all, every single one.
Old Jock 1997
AG
Many thanks to those above who recommended Matterhorn. I bought it and I'm about 100 pages in; my only regret is lack of time to read it quicker. It's fantastic.

Thank you to those here who served in Vietnam. What I'm learning of our government angers me greatly, and I'm truly sorry that you and so many others fell victim to their folly.
redag06
bufrilla said:

Dec'68-Nov10'69 (departed Cua Viet on an LST back to Oki.)
Marine Corps Birthday celebrated before boarding (bad mistake)
Company CO was Capt John Trott
Harrington hit during that time.
Bufrilla,

Harrington is a very good family friend. He actually swore my brother in when he was commissioned, and 3/3 Legend, Col Ripley swore him in on I-day at the Academy.

I've heard quite a few war stories between the bunch, and a lot of good natured ribbing between my father 3/5 '66-67 and Harrington about who is better, "Darkhorse" or "America's Battalion"

Semper Fi!
redag06
Found out today my dad was USMC 66-67 has kidney cancer.

Can almost guarantee it is from either agent orange or the tainted water at camp lejeune.

50 years later still dealing with it.
bufrilla
AG
redag06,Sorry about your Dad. I've been on the AgOrange watch list for years-been lucky so far. Didn't serve any time at LeJeune, except for a day here and there.
Left Vietnam and went to Flight School and then spent the next 17 years flying the F4 Phantom.
Next tours in Vietnam were with VMFA 232/115 and also a tour with CAG 17 aboard the Forrestal.
Selected for "Top Gun" in 1976, then finished out my time in F4 Squadrons.
Both sons Aggies '91 &'93, also both USMC Officers. One was Platoon/Company Co with 2/2 in Bosnia and Liberia(out after 6 years). The other is currently the G-4 at 3rd MAW. Went to grandson's graduation from MCRD the Friday after the UCLA game. The Legacy continues from my father who served in the AEF in WWI to my 7 brothers that served from WWII, through Korea, and into Vietnam. My wife's father was a WWII/Korea Navy flyer.

Semper Fi
wildcat08
AG
Here's another interesting article about the war and the Burns series.

https://www.hoover.org/research/vietnam-war?utm_source=hdr&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2017-11-03
bufrilla
AG
wildcat,
Thanks for posting that article. Kinda debunks a LOT of the typical Vietnam BS.
ag-bq-seventy
AG
Here's another one:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/10/27/oliver-north-pbs-and-ken-burns-get-vietnam-and-richard-nixon-wrong-again.html

TRD-Ferguson
AG
Bufrilla, did you ever serve with Dick Upchurch? Met him in Fairhope, AL several years ago. He flew Skyraiders in Vietnam.
Smokedraw01
Quote:

That's not the only opportunity for accuracy Mr. Burns ignored. He could have credited President Nixon with granting 18-year olds the right to vote in July 1971 with the 26thAmendment to our Constitution [does "Ken" even recall the slogan, "Old Enough to Fight Old Enough to Vote!" He should. Burns turned 18 that same month.].

I also noticed that Oliver North article ignored Nixon's interference in peace talks before the '68 election.
bufrilla
AG
Pacing The Cage said:

Bufrilla, did you ever serve with Dick Upchurch? Met him in Fairhope, AL several years ago. He flew Skyraiders in Vietnam.
Paging the Cage,
No, they were sure used during extractions of downed crews (fixed wing and helo). They would get down in the "weeds" with their support.
Return visit to the National Museum of the Marine Corps yesterday, went to the Medal of Honor wall, wanted to introduce my Marine Grandson to a couple of Marines from my platoon (1st Plt/India Company/3/3) in Vietnam.
First was Robert O'Malley, who was before me, but we became friends through reunions. The other was Robert Prom, who was my M60 squad leader, who was awarded the MOH posthumously.
This Marine Grandson's father was a Marine Captain (2/2 Company Commander- served in Bosnia and Liberia), his uncle is a Marine LtCol (G-4 3rd MAW - served in Iraq & Afghanistan), Grandfather(me) a retired Marine Officer (3/3 PltCo in Vietnam, then flew F4 Phantoms for 16 years, 100 plus combat missions inSEAsia and tour with Carrier Air Group 17, and a Top Gun grad/instructor. His Great-Grandfather was PFC in the AEF in Europe in WWI. Wanted to re-enforce the Legacy, plus what he had been taught and brought up on....Duty, Honor, and Country plus the Marine Corps values of Honor, Courage, and Commitment.
At 18 years and 4 months, he's class act. Proud Grandfather.

Semper Fi

TRD-Ferguson
AG
Thank you for your service and that of your family!
ABATTBQ87
AG
William Prom:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.