Justinians Flea

1,004 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Aggiefan#1
Aggiefan#1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Great book. Premise is about how Justinian era Bubonic Plague ultimately shaped the European world today.

Basically, no plague means no weakening of Persian and Roman empires, lesser to no Arab invasion, no population shortages, no plow in Europe, survival of Persian Empire, possible survival of Roman Empire until modern day in some form etc...

Anyone read it? Care to discuss?
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I have not read the book but it plays an integral part in The History of Byzantium podcast. It's certainly interesting to ponder not only the "what ifs" had Yersinia pestis not decimated the Byzantine populace. It's mind-blowing how the plague emerged when it did (people had been living in large cities in close proximity to rats and fleas for 1000s of years without it), and how it made the jump to humans without killing its flea or human host. Sample:

Episode 27- The Walking Dead
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
Belton Ag
AG
Aggiefan#1 said:

Great book. Premise is about how Justinian era Bubonic Plague ultimately shaped the European world today.

Basically, no plague means no weakening of Persian and Roman empires, lesser to no Arab invasion, no population shortages, no plow in Europe, survival of Persian Empire, possible survival of Roman Empire until modern day in some form etc...

Anyone read it? Care to discuss?
There was more at play than the plague which led to the downfall of Byzantium. Justinian's attempts to reunite the Roman Empire by conquest, his emboldening of the Arabs buy trying to buy peace in the east and his failure to produce an effective heir and successor all played into the weakening of Byzantium.
Aggiefan#1
AG
Agreed, I do truly believe that the plague played the single largest role though. A healthy Persia and Ro,email hold off the Arab invaders.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.