W

1,102 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OldArmy71
CoachB2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fat fingered this...
Wanted to see if any of you can decipher this hen scratch. I recently got my great great uncles personnel files from WW1. Turns out he went awol for 40 minutes. The report is below but I'm having trouble figuring it out.

dcAg
It looks like it mentions about "liberty". Maybe he was 40 minutes late returning from liberty.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Have been granted liberty
??? July 18, ?? - 11:00 ??
July 21, 1918 did return be?
expiration of S?? Liberty
????his questions
?????? absent
??? his questions ???
OldArmy71
AG
He went AWOL and was docked part of his pay.

1st photo:

have been granted liberty
on 21 July [19]18 to 11.00 pm
July 21 1918 did upon the
expiration of said liberty fail
to return to his quarters
and did remain absent
from his quarters without

2nd photo:

leave untill 1140 pm
July 21 1918 awarded
???[some abbreviation] court sen[tenced] to lose pay
amounting to ??? Lost of
Pay remitted sub [subject] to
conditions of art [article] 4893

NOTE: "Lost of pay" is obviously an error. The author probably means "Lost pay."
CoachB2
Thanks!

Docked $15.
Aggies Revenge
AG
Marine vernacular would be "Loss of pay"

Did he ever make.it over to France or was he diverted to One of the Latin American garden spots?
Aggies Revenge
AG
I think that is court type is "Deck Court" Deck court was an intermediate level between Mast (NJP by today's UCMJ) and Summary Court Martial.

Looking at the 1942 Seaman's Handbook (I might have a WWI version at home, not sure though), officers charging enlisted by Mast could not fine them money.

Quote:

Mast punishments. Under Article 24 of Articles for the Government of the Navy, the Commanding Officer is restricted to certain definite punishments which he may administer at mast. These punishments consist of any one, or part of any one, of the following:
[ol]
  • Reduction of any rating established by himself.
  • Confinement not exceeding 10 days, unless further confinement is necessary, in the case of a prisoner to be tried by court-martial.
  • Solitary confinement, on bread and water, not exceeding 5 days.
  • Solitary confinement not exceeding 7 days.
  • Deprivation of liberty on shore.
  • Extra duties.
  • [/ol]
    Deck Court could fine the offender, but was usually carried out when the CO viewed the offense as being serious enough to warrant more than Mast. This tells me that there was either an AWOL (UA by today's standards) issue in the company (everyone came back late and they all got nailed) or Great Great Uncle was a bit of a handful and this was not his first time standing before the CO for an infraction.
    CoachB2
    There is another letter indicating a few other marines were involved.

He made it over there. Was in the 6th Marines and fought in the St. Mihiel and Champagne sectors. He got gassed at Argonne and came home.

The info in his file was well worth the $70.00. It's a shame the Army files were lost in a fire.
    OldArmy71
    AG
    Deck Court! Never heard that term. I'd never have gotten that. Thanks!
    Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.