Just a Taste

3,185 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aalan94
Aggies Revenge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I am prepping the next couple of months to take my prelim exams for my PhD in history.

The way the test is set up here is:

Written Exams
General Fields- US History 4 questions with 72 hours to respond
  • Overall US History
  • Colonial US History
  • 19th century US
  • 20th century US

After that is over I have another 2 -3 days of written exams in specialized fields,
Specialized Fields:
  • Military History
  • US Foreign Relations
  • Education - Outside specialization

If I survive all of that, then I have take an oral exam that should last from 2-4 hours.

Just to give you an idea of the scope of what I have to know, the Prof administering the Foreign Relations test sent a list of books and told me to add another 30 to the list in order to have a good foundation for answering the questions.

Here is the list I was given:

• Hunt, Ideology and U.S. Foreign Policy
  • Frank Lambert, Barbary Wars: American Independence in the Atlantic World
  • Thomas R. Hietala, Manifest Design: American Exceptionalism and Empire
  • Howard Jones, Abraham Lincoln and a New Birth of Freedom
  • Howard Jones, Blue and Gray Diplomacy: A History of Union and Confederate Foreign Relations
  • Eric Love, Race over Empire: Racism and U.S. Imperialism, 1865 1900
  • William Michael Morgan, Pacific Gibraltar: U.S.-Japanese Rivalry over the Annexation of Hawai'i, 1885-1898
  • Emily Rosenberg, Spreading the American Dream: United States Economic and Cultural Expansion, 1895 1941
  • Matthew Jacobson, Barbarian Virtues: The United States Encounters Foreign Peoples at Home and Abroad
  • Thomas Knock, To End All Wars: Woodrow Wilson and the Quest for a New Order
  • Michael A. Barnhart, Japan Prepares for Total War: The Search for Economic Security, 1919 1941
  • Mark Finlay, Growing American Rubber: Strategic Plants and the Politics of National Security
  • Mark Stoler, Allies and Adversaries: The Joint Chiefs of Staff, the Grand Alliance, and US Strategy in World War 2
  • J. Samuel Walker, Prompt and Utter Destruction: Truman and the Use of Atomic Bombs Against Japan
  • Melvyn Leffler, Specter of Communism: The United States and the Origins of the Cold War, 1919 1953
  • Stephen Rabe, US Intervention in British Guiana: A Cold War Story
  • Salim Yaqub, Containing Arab Nationalism: The Eisenhower Doctrine and the Middle East
  • Michael Grow, U.S. Presidents and Latin American Interventions: Pursuing Regime Change in the Cold
  • Melanie McAlister, Epic Encounters: Culture, Media, and U.S. Interests in the Middle East since 1945
  • Christopher Endy, Cold War Holidays: American Tourism in France
  • Peter Hahn, Caught in the Middle East: U.S. Policy toward the Arab-Israeli Conflict, 1945 1961
  • Gary Hess, Presidential Decisions for War: Korea, Vietnam, and the Persian Gulf
  • Michael Hunt, Lyndon Johnson's War: America's Cold War Crusade in Vietnam
  • Thomas Borstelman, The Cold War and the Color Line: American Race Relations in the Global Arena
  • Odde Arne Westad, The Global Cold War: Third World Interventions and the Making of Our Times
  • Warren Cohen, The Asian American Century

So if I take a crappy attitude towards anyone or any subject in the next month or two, I apologize, it's not me!
HollywoodBQ
AG
Wow! I think for most of the world these days, if they were given a question that might take 3 days to answer, they would freak out or give up.

Good Luck.
Sapper Redux
Any list below 100 is a blessing. Good luck!
Ag_EQ12
AG
Good luck! The comps process is partially academic hazing but it's something we all went through. I've never heard of 72 hours for a written. Where are you doing your PhD? My longest was 8 hours and shortest was 4 (A&M). In some ways the longer take home exams are worse because with all that time and open notes they expect a really good response.

The trouble with the comps process is that it is so subjective. The format varies from prof to prof, not to mention from department to department. It should probably be standardized to some degree, but then we wouldn't have as many horror stories about prelims!
Aggies Revenge
AG
I am taking mine at Kansas State. They expect about 5 pages per answer, but they usually rely on similar questions from previous exams, which allows us to develop good outlines/notes that we can plug into. Historiography will be the big one, get that nailed down, then the questions should pretty much answer themselves.

And I agree, anything under 100 per field is a blessing. Pretty sure the wife would kill me if I came home with 400-500 books to add to my already huge collection!
Aggies Revenge
AG
The pile is already growing

https://instagr.am/p/BYVsiJ5F4jV
WildcatAg
AG
Aggies Revenge said:

So I am prepping the next couple of months to take my prelim exams for my PhD in history.

Written Exams
  • Overall US History
  • Colonial US History
  • 19th century US
  • 20th century US

After that is over I have another 2 -3 days of written exams in specialized fields,
Specialized Fields:
  • Military History
  • US Foreign Relations

If I survive all of that, then I have take an oral exam that should last from 2-4 hours.
As a faculty member in another field it would appear that the history profs creating/giving/evaluating that prelim don't have enough to do.
libertyag
AG
He or she or them who came up with all the book requirements needs to leave academia and get a real job.
libertyag
AG
Edit feature isn't working!
Aggies Revenge
AG
libertyag said:

He or she or them who came up with all the book requirements needs to leave academia and get a real job.
Please explain.
Aggies Revenge
AG
WildcatAg said:

Aggies Revenge said:

Written Exams
  • Overall US History
  • Colonial US History
  • 19th century US
  • 20th century US

Specialized Fields:
  • Military History
  • US Foreign Relations

As a faculty member in another field it would appear that the history profs creating/giving/evaluating that prelim don't have enough to do.
I wish that was the case. The Prof giving the Foreign Relations portion was excited that he was off the exam committee this year (He usually does 20th Century), then I walked in. Now I know he is going to go all kinds of evil on me.
WildcatAg
AG
Aggies Revenge said:

WildcatAg said:

Aggies Revenge said:

Written Exams
  • Overall US History
  • Colonial US History
  • 19th century US
  • 20th century US

Specialized Fields:
  • Military History
  • US Foreign Relations

I wish that was the case. The Prof giving the Foreign Relations portion was excited that he was off the exam committee this year (He usually does 20th Century), then I walked in. Now I know he is going to go all kinds of evil on me.
Yes, thinking you got out of service assignments and then finding out you have been assigned service tends to put faculty in a bad mood.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
CPA exam takes 3 days !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Aggies Revenge
AG
The damn pile keeps getting bigger.

Post removed:
by user
Aggies Revenge
AG
JJMt said:

What happened to Readers Digest and its abridged versions? Where is it when you truly need it?
That is called JSTOR and critical book reviews!
aalan94
AG
A good list. I read the Emily Rosenberg book and it's really a great perspective that I'd never heard before. A lot of good reading ahead of you.

After finishing my MA in History last year, I considered going for a PhD, but I'm going to wait a while if I even do it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.