Noticed something peculiar while looking at pics of the USS Indianapolis wreck

3,336 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Lee72
SBISA Victim
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4805748/Paul-Allen-announces-discovery-sunken-WWII-ship.html#article-4805748

Is anyone else surprised about the lack of rust.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
I think a lot of it has to do with where the wreck lies. Some parts of the deep ocean have a very low amount of dissolved oxygen, so oxidation (rust) can't happen as quickly. I remember seeing an interview with Bob Ballard about the Titanic and its corrosion being related to location.
JABQ04
AG
Isn't the Bismarck in extremely great shape? Minimum rust and such? I thought just depends on where the ship comes to rest and particular conditions of that area.

Also looks like the Indianapolis is laying on its side. Can't tell which but maybe port after comparing the pictures.
SBISA Victim
AG
It appears the Indianapolis is laying on her starboard side (which was the side that was torpedoed). The Bismarck is covered in rust. Especially the areas of the wreck that suffered fire damage.
SBISA Victim
AG
Here is the pic that suggests that to me.

dcbowers
AG
Rust is an iron oxide, usually red oxide formed by the redox reaction of iron and oxygen in the presence of water or air moisture. Rust consists of hydrated iron(III) oxides Fe2O3nH2O and iron(III) oxide-hydroxide (FeO(OH), Fe(OH)3). In environments with very little oxygen such as 5500 meters beneath the surface of the ocean, there is very little rust formation.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
JABQ04
AG
PBS is airing a special on Indianapolis' discovery at 9 pm tonight
BrazosBendHorn
JABQ04 said:

PBS is airing a special on Indianapolis' discovery at 9 pm tonight
Fascinating & moving. Lots of background information on the Indianapolis and interviews with survivors. Glad they also talked about how Capt. McVay was railroaded over the sinking.

Props to Public Broadcasting for airing this. (A nice alternative to Pawn Stars, American Pickers, Swamp People, Mountain Men, etc. over on the so-called History Channel.)
JABQ04
AG
Looked very interesting, too bad only caught about 20 minutes before I passed out. I DVRd it so I can catch it tonight. Was surprised to see the wreck upright, the initial picture had it looking like it was laying on its side
ABATTBQ87
AG
Did not know destroyers could launch, retrieve and store airplanes
BrazosBendHorn
ABATTBQ87 said:

USS Indianapolis was a Portland class heavy cruiser. Bigger than a destroyer.
JABQ04
AG
The Japanese had a class of submarines that could launch a plane.
ABATTBQ87
AG
BrazosBendHorn said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Didn't know a portland class heavy cruiser could launch, retrieve and store airplanes.
BrazosBendHorn
ABATTBQ87 said:

BrazosBendHorn said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Didn't know a portland class heavy cruiser could launch, retrieve and store airplanes.
Truth be told, neither did I ... (I was aware that battleships could do this.)

I can only the imagine the reaction of naval aviators who were hoping to be assigned to the Enterprise, the Hornet, the Lex, etc., and instead received orders to serve on a cruiser. Probably they cheerfully smiled, threw a smart salute and said "Yes sir, best possible posting in this war!" (while inside they were saying "bleep, bleep, bleeping war!!!")
Lee72
AG
My dad's oldest brother, William E Lance, was sent to the Indy out of boot camp as part of the "AS" (anti-submarine) contingent in 1941. Luckily, the squadron was transferred off before the sinking. He was sent to Bremerton WA to be part of the commissioning crew of the USS Pybus (CVE-43); three months later, he was part of the decommissioning crew! We turned the carrier over to the Brits as part of Lend-Lease. He went on to serve aboard USS Wake Island (CVE-46) for the remainder of the war, getting out as MM1 (Machinist Mate First Class Petty Officer).
Lee72
CAPT USN (Ret)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.