Best Civil War Movies/Documentaries

1,525 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by VanZandt92
jP RAiNiN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm interested in diving back into learning about the Civil War.. I haven't researched it much since grade school. I'm a documentary guy.. I watch them more than anything else, so recommendations on the best docs detailing this War are appreciated first. Movie opinions are also appreciated.
dcbowers
AG
Ken Burns says hi.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sapper Redux
Ken Burns, Ken Burns, and Ken Burns

American Experience also has some very good documentaries. One is "Death and the Civil War," taken from Drew Faust's, "This Republic of Suffering." There's a long documentary on Reconstruction from them as well called "America's Second Civil War." They've also got serviceable documentaries on Grant and Lee.
claym711
AG
There is a Civil War podcast that, if you can get past the Northern bias in the war leadup and introduction to main leaders, is very thorough.
Rabid Cougar
Rabid Cougar
AG
General Jackson has your response.
jP RAiNiN
Dr. Watson said:

American Experience also has some very good documentaries. One is "Death and the Civil War," taken from Drew Faust's, "This Republic of Suffering." There's a long documentary on Reconstruction from them as well called "America's Second Civil War." They've also got serviceable documentaries on Grant and Lee.
Noted.. have any good movie recommendations? You seem to be a civil war buff of sorts, so figured I'd ask.
OldArmy71
AG
"Glory" is an excellent movie based on real events.
Sapper Redux
jP RAiNiN said:

Dr. Watson said:

Noted.. have any good movie recommendations? You seem to be a civil war buff of sorts, so figured I'd ask.

Sadly, I'm less than impressed by the Civil War movies out there in general. Glory is very good. Cold Mountain is pretty good. Gettysburg is good, but the reliance on reenactors knocks it down a couple notches. I still laugh when I see the Santa Claus picket in the first few minutes. In all three cases, the uniforms and equipment are less than accurate.

Gods and Generals looks better but veers too much into mythology for my tastes.

Lincoln was very well done. Like all modern Spielberg movies, however, he should have ended it half an hour earlier.
claym711
AG
Wouldn't expect anything less than that from Dr. Lincoln! Haha
Sapper Redux
claym711 said:

Wouldn't expect anything less than that from Dr. Lincoln! Haha

Wouldn't expect you to ever let a post by me on the Civil War pass. It must really tear you up that Lincoln did great things.
BQ78
AG
Looks like the highlights got covered pretty well. The Civil War series from back in the day for the History Channel were all pretty good for a documentary stand point.

Two Hollywood movies that are underrated and obsucre that really capture the guerilla warfare are Pharoh's Army and Ride with the Devil. Both highly recommended.
OldArmy71
AG
I forgot about "Ride with the Devil." That is an underrated movie.
Cen-Tex
AG
The Outlaw Josey Wales movie. Got me interested in learning more about the Missouri/Kansas border war during the War Between the States.
aggieband 83
AG
ABC had on a mini-series called "North and South". It aired in the mid 80's. Good story line about 2 men that met at West Point and became friends before the Civil War started. How there lives changed as they became officers in opposing armies. Excellent supporting cast. I hope you can find it & enjoy it!
Sapper Redux
aggieband 83 said:

ABC had on a mini-series called "North and South". It aired in the mid 80's. Good story line about 2 men that met at West Point and became friends before the Civil War started. How there lives changed as they became officers in opposing armies. Excellent supporting cast. I hope you can find it & enjoy it!

My 8th grade North Carolina History teacher showed that to us rather than teach us much about the Civil War. It's... dated. Though entertaining to an extent as a soap opera.
aggieband 83
AG
Agree, it is dated. The series is based on the novel by John Jakes. I found it very entertaining.
VanZandt92
I don't think the Ken Burns doc goes into enough depth. Too much to cover. I do like Shelby Foote though who was interviewed . RiP.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.