Corps of Cadets picture circa 1943

1,725 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by byfLuger41
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So my 96 year old grandfather is finally realizing he has too much stuff and is in the process of purging.

He had this old original picture of his battery from his sophomore year that I snatched up. This was just before he went off to serve in WWII. He never returned to Aggieland after he left, but doesn't the saying go "Once and Aggie always an Aggie"?

I'm pretty sure one of my aunts has his Corps of Cadets hat and pins that I'm gonna try and get and have it all put together in a shadow box of some sort. Thought y'all may enjoy

CanyonAg77
AG
Sadly, photo is on your personal Google account, and not visible. Put it on flickr, Imagur, or similar, and try again.
Ag_07
AG
Thanks. See if that works. It shows up for me so I had no clue.

So much easier before photobucket got all wonky.
CanyonAg77
OldArmy71
AG
Very cool!

My father, Class of '44, was also in Coast Artillery. I have all four of his unit photos, all taken in the same traditional location.

Just FYI, the unit in the photograph is a company, not a battalion.
CanyonAg77
AG
Since it is an artillery unit, is is it a battery?
ABATTBQ87
AG
I have the 1943 longhorn yearbook
OldArmy71
AG
Yes, it is a battery, not a company. Good point. I was trying to point out that it was a company-sized unit, not a battalion-sized unit.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah I'm not privy on the terminology but thanks for pointing that out. Good to know
Rabid Cougar
AG
1943 Longhorn Battery I Coast Artillery

Can find his picture in the "Class" section too.
JR69
AG
My dad was a fish in B Battery, Coast Artillery the same year as that picture. He was accepted into the USAAF flight training program shortly after the spring semester started and didn't return to Aggieland until 1946.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
The men in that photo all look very svelte. Not many "fat bodies."
CanyonAg77
AG
XUSCR said:

The men in that photo all look very svelte. Not many "fat bodies."
A Depression will do that.
Rongagin71
AG
My grandfather was a "Top Sergeant" in the Coastal Artillery near Houston in 1917.
The gun was underground while being reloaded, then would rise up with him riding on it (had a saddle like on a horse) - his job was to sight the target and call it down with various corrections such as wind speed.
BQ78
AG
The officer second from the left must have been a poor Aggie who couldn't even afford a second hand pair of boots.
The Original AG 76
AG
BQ78 said:

The officer second from the left must have been a poor Aggie who couldn't even afford a second hand pair of boots.
My dad was class of 44 and a Company CO. He had to borrow a saber and never had boots due to the costs. He took in laundry and worked Sibisa , even as CO and even from his fish just for the extra money. LOTS of Aggies back then were dirt POOR ..I would say that the VASY majority were poor kids form the country. They were depression era kids from the backwoods of Texas. Which is why they are the greatest generation of Aggies our University is likely to ever produce .
Ag_07
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

I would say that the VASY majority were poor kids form the country. They were depression era kids from the backwoods of Texas. Which is why they are the greatest generation of Aggies our University is likely to ever produce .

Yep.

My grandfather was born and raised in the East Texas woods just outside of Kountze.

He's 96 but still sharp as a tack and can tell stories like they happened yesterday. He's told us countless times that hitchhiking is how his Corps buddies got from CS to Houston. They'd typically hitch a ride to Hempstead then hitch another into Houston. Apparently there was dancehall/bar in Hempstead they would stop at and as he puts it 'raise hell' before making in to Houston.
CanyonAg77
AG
As I recall dad telling it, anyone wanting a ride would head out to highway 6. A fish would stand with his thumb out while everyone else waited in the shade. When a car would stop, the fish would ask destination and the number of seats, and announce it to all. Those desiring that ride would take it, first come, first served.

I think it was first come, regardless of class, but I'm not positive.
byfLuger41
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.