Lies the US Government has told

2,279 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by valvemonkey91
BQ78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I know that we could fill a thread longer than the "Beer Thread" with lies the government has told throughout history but what are some of the doozies, to prime the pump (roughly in chronological order):

• "Do the people of the South really entertain fears that a Republican administration would, directly or indirectly, interfere with their slaves, or with them, about their slaves? If they do, I wish to assure you, as once a friend, and still, I hope, not an enemy, that there is no cause for such fears."
  • "40 acres and a mule."
  • "The United States recognizes the Black Hills as part of the Great Sioux Reservation, set aside for exclusive use by the Sioux people."
  • "The Naval Court of Inquiry, which, it is needless to say, commands the unqualified confidence of the government, was unanimous in its conclusion that the destruction of the Maine was caused by an exterior explosion, that of a submarine mine."
  • "She did not carry a cargo prohibited by the statutes of the United States, and that, if in fact she was a naval vessel of Great Britain, she should not receive clearance as a merchantman."
  • "Social Security cards are for Social Security and tax purposes -- not for identification."
  • "I have said this before, but I shall say it again and again and again: Your boys are not going to be sent into any foreign wars."
  • "The USS Kearny was harmlessly delivering mail."
  • "There was no deliberate attempt to violate Soviet air space and there never has been."
  • "I have previously stated, and I repeat now, that the United States plans no military intervention in Cuba."
  • "We are not about to send American boys nine or ten thousand miles from home to do what Asian boys ought to be doing for themselves."
  • "I am not a crook"
  • "I have never been a quitter."
  • "Read my Lips"
  • "I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky"
  • "If you like the plan you have, you can keep it."
  • "Not wittingly. There are cases where they could inadvertently, perhaps, collect, but not wittingly."
cbr
AG
you didnt build that.

we're here to help.
Bighunter43
AG
How about two that can be considered at least controversial if not possible lies that led us to war:
1. "American blood has been shed on American soil"......I'm not sure it was officially "American soil".

2. "We have found the weapons of mass destruction!".....not sure that was %100 percent accurate.
Sapper Redux
Your first one was not a lie before the Southern states started the war. The second one was not official US policy or a promise at any time outside of Sherman's military order. Though land reform should have followed emancipation.
BQ78
AG
Watson:

Don't see a caveat about starting a war in that lie, the war didn't necessitate that Lincoln go back on that statement. He took the action purely as a cynical war measure, guys like McClellan and other Democratic generals and politicians didn't agree with the move either.

The 40 acres and a mule may have started with Sherman (minus the mule) but the idea was spread by more than that order by the Freedmans' Bureau. The former slave recordings by the WPA sure seem to imply, right or wrong, that that is what former slaves believed they were promised by the government.

Big Hunter:

The Mexican War one depends on POV and where the border was before the conflict, a lie to Mexican ears but not necessarily American ears (unless you were Abraham Lincoln who called it a lie).

Hey Nav
AG
What's the latest interpretation of the USS Maddox incident?
claym711
AG
Haha. Dr Watson is always at bat for the biggest tyrant this county has ever had leading, and defaming the South.
Sapper Redux
claym711 said:

Haha. Dr Watson is always at bat for the biggest tyrant this county has ever had leading, and defaming the South.

I'll never defend the people or government that wrote this:

Quote:

We hold as undeniable truths that the governments of the various States, and of the confederacy itself, were established exclusively by the white race, for themselves and their posterity; that the African race had no agency in their establishment; that they were rightfully held and regarded as an inferior and dependent race, and in that condition only could their existence in this country be rendered beneficial or tolerable.

That in this free government all white men are and of right ought to be entitled to equal civil and political rights; that the servitude of the African race, as existing in these States, is mutually beneficial to both bond and free, and is abundantly authorized and justified by the experience of mankind, and the revealed will of the Almighty Creator, as recognized by all Christian nations; while the destruction of the existing relations between the two races, as advocated by our sectional enemies, would bring inevitable calamities upon both and desolation upon the fifteen slave-holding States.
claym711
AG
Keep up the good fight, fella...

"Our republican system was meant for a homogeneous people. As long as blacks continue to live with the whites they constitute a threat to the national life. Family life may also collapse and the increase of mixed breed *******s may some day challenge the supremacy of the white man."

"I have no purpose to introduce political and social equality between the white and black races. There is physical difference between the two which, in my judgment, will probably forever forbid their living together upon the footing of perfect equality, and inasmuch as it becomes a necessity that there must be a difference, I, as well as Judge Douglas, am in favor of the race to which I belong having the superior position."

"There is a natural disgust in the minds of nearly all white people to the idea of indiscriminate amalgamation of the white and black races ... A separation of the races is the only perfect preventive of amalgamation, but as an immediate separation is impossible, the next best thing is to keep them apart where they are not already together. If white and black people never get together in Kansas, they will never mix blood in Kansas"

Sapper Redux
Lincoln had racist beliefs. He changed. He certainly didn't fight a war to maintain slavery and he brought about the greatest expansion of freedom in American history.
tmaggies
AG
Watson if you think the North didn't hold those views in their time you truly are........I will leave it at that!
Sapper Redux
The North didn't hold slavery so dear as to rip the nation apart and thirst for a civil war.
tmaggies
AG
Can't argue with stupid
Sapper Redux
If you don't believe slavery was the cause of the war, then I agree, I can't argue with you.
claym711
AG
The cause of war was preservation of the Union. The cause of secession, in part, was preservation of slavery.
Rabid Cougar
AG
The Corps of Discovery was a scientific expedition ...
valvemonkey91
AG
Oswald acted alone...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.