World's Columbia Exposition, Chicago 1893/The Devil in the White City

987 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tmaggies
LegettHall
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The exposition covered more than 600 acres (2.4 km2), featuring nearly 200 new (but purposely temporary) buildings of predominantly neoclassical architecture, canals and lagoons and people and cultures from 46 countries. More than 27 million people attended the exposition during its six-month run. Its scale and grandeur far exceeded the other world's fairs.

On October 9, 1893, the day designated as Chicago Day, the fair set a world record for outdoor event attendance, drawing 751,026 people. The debt for the fair was soon paid off with a check for $1.5 million (equivalent to $40 million in 2016). Chicago has commemorated the fair with one of the stars on its municipal flag.

Eric Larson's book is a great read for bar-stool historians.

GSPag`
I lived in Chicago for 6 mos. Six of the best months of my life. Those folks definitely know how to throw a party. There is a festival every weekend.

I am sure that back in the 1890's is was no different. One of the best cities in America.
p_bubel
My great grand parents met at the Fair.

Changed Chicago forever. (And my family)
p_bubel
And this was only 22 years after the great fire. Pretty amazing rebound.

There are still several grand structures around as well.
tmaggies
AG
Yes especially love the south side!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.