My Grandfather

3,970 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by byfLuger41
JABQ04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This will be a fairly long post, but I found a treasure trove of info on my Grandfather's service and life in WWII. He was drafted in 1943 at the age of 36 He was a typesetter for the Galveston News newspaper. He completed basic infantry training and was assigned to the E Co. 2nd Battalion 147 Infantry Regiment (parent unit was 37 Infantry Division) and saw service on Iwo Jima as an Infantryman. He returned home in July 1945 due to his mother being gravely ill and he was the only caretaker. In his letters he constantly mentions sending money orders home and how much he misses my grandmother. Sadly he passed away in 1957 when my dad was only 8, but after reading his letters I would have loved to spent some time with him. Here are some interesting things I have found so far, with much more stuff to go through:

Draft Notice

Infantryman

Crossing the Equator

Reading Material

Souvenirs from Iwo Jima

Parts from Japanese planes/tanks

Japanese Field Manual for some weapon

Here's a sample of the amount of letters he wrote to my grandmother (the pictures don't so justice, easily around 300 letters here)

Although dated from 1956, I can only assume this was a duplicate to replace the lost original, or due to being discharged early he didn't receive it at the same time as everyone else. I also find it interesting that many land battles of the Pacific fell under the Air Offensive Japan Campaign

CIB Orders. This is a 15 page packet with every man in the regiment awarded the CIB for combat against the enemy. His name is 8 or 9 pages in under E Company

That's all for now. Interesting stuff for sure. His parent division was a NG Division made up of men from Ohio. however his Regiment was detached and saw service on Guadalcanal, Saipan, Iwo Jima, and Okinawa. On Iwo they landed after the island was "secure" and set about rooting out the holdouts from Japanese defenders. His letters don't speak of combat, except for one bit of "excitement" as he called it. I have seen bits of letters cut out by the censors too. Still tons of stuff to look at.
jickyjack1
Very interesting.

Ag_EQ12
AG
That's a treasure trove! What a cool collection to have from your grandfather.
The Original AG 76
AG
I have similar stuff from my dad. I also have some jap money printed in the Philippines . Interesting as it is mostly in English and has a peso denomination. My grandmother saved a lot of his orders . Im not sure what to do with the stuff since none of his grandchildren seem to be interested. Perhaps the Corp museum of the Museum of the American GI in CS might find some of this useful. He already gave his jap saber to the Nimitz before he passed away.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Looks like they may include the serial number/data plate from an aircraft or tank. It's possible someone could translate it and figure out the precise aircraft from which it came.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Interesting that your GM was in Austin. Did she go to Tu ? That address is close. Also, to Capitol. Didn't find her in the High School directory .

The only Austinite I knew personally KIA was KIA on IWO Elmo Ellis 18 !

Thanks for the post .
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
JABQ04
AG
No my GMndid not go to tu. She always lived in Austin growing up, until she married my grandfather. Then she lived in Houston until my dad grew up and moved back to Austin. She lived there while was young until she became unable to take care of her self and she moved in with us right before I graduated.
JABQ04
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Looks like they may include the serial number/data plate from an aircraft or tank. It's possible someone could translate it and figure out the precise aircraft from which it came.

Even more morbid is are the Japanese teeth he is supposed to have. I've been told about them since I was a kid and swear I was shown them by my GM many years ago. However and fortunately they are not in this box of things I have.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Yes, that would be interesting to find out. Those look like data plates that you will find scattered through the cockpit of aircraft, I presume the interior of tanks would have similar data plates.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Definitely thinking airplane. The middle left tag has "Fuji Air Instruments..." in part of that bottom line. Granted, Google has ****ed up before...

The middle tag says something about "formula land attack" which makes me wonder if maybe a fuel/air control lever?
Apache
AG
Lol at the "Honorary Aryan" on the Japanese figure's collar.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
(Jap Money)
Skinner1998
AG
And "Nip Currency"
The Original AG 76
AG
Apache said:

great catch. I had to look carefully to see it. The jap figure is the Emperor.
HollywoodBQ
AG
That was awesome. Thanks for sharing.

On a related note, I just found out that I will become the recipient of what remains of my grandfather's WWII uniform, medals and service ribbons. That is literally the only thing that I actually want to inherit. I'm lucky enough to have been just old enough to have heard those first hand stories from him about the "dirty, nasty Japs".

In my professional career, I've made about 7 business trips to Japan. Japan is great but, I'll never forget what they are capable of which is quite a bit.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

Apache said:

It's Tojo, not the emperor.
The Original AG 76
AG
Gota De Limon said:

The Original AG 76 said:

Apache said:

It's Tojo, not the emperor.
you are correct.
VanZandt92
whoah
Post removed:
by user
aalan94
AG

This is upside down. Flip it over and you'll see it's a graph plot with a vertical axis in tons (going up to 5.2 and a horizontal axis in mm (going up to 450). The graphic on the upper right is a tailwheel of a plane.

So we're probably looking at a graph that tells you something about how to adjust your tailwheel based on a specific load on the aircraft, which is up to 10,400 pounds. This is not a fighter.

Here are the Japanese WWII transport aircraft.

I'd say KI-57 and KI-56 are your best bets, but either of these can go beyond that weight, but I don't know, maybe there are other criteria.

What you do see is that as the weight increases, the tailwheel position would come forward.

This is a spitball guess, but maybe I'll email my Japanese friend and see how close I was.
libertyag
AG
OP, very interesting motherlode of things you have. Thanks for posting.

Having all those letters is really nice, to have in his words things that would be lost forever otherwise.

I have a couple of Japanese 10 yen notes signed by the guys in my dad's rifle squad. They would all sign them and then each guy would keep one. Not something you wanted on your person if captured though.
aalan94
AG
I think if you were captured, it didn't matter if you had a photo of the Empress in a compromising position. You were toast no matter what.
byfLuger41
AG
As a WWII collector and enthusiast over the past 20+ years, this is ****ing awesome!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.