United States Military Geniuses

3,791 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Restco
3rd and 2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are US military geniuses on par with those from the ancient past? Who would you say the US military geniuses are? For example Carthage had Hannibal, Macedon had Phillip II and Alexander the Great, and Rome had many (including Scipio Africanus, Caesar, etc.).

I'm thinking US Military had dozens of military geniuses. These include: George Washington, Grant, Robert E. Lee (Confederate), Sherman, David Farragut... I could go on for a while. What do you think? Are our military geniuses on par with military geniuses of the ancient past?

I guess with our larger population to pull from, better education, access to military history and the military academies that the US spits out more military geniuses than empires of the past.

Hypothetically, if you were to shove George Washington (or any of our other great US commanders) in a time machine and send him back to October 18th, 202 BC to take command of the Carthaginians the day before the Battle of Zama could he win the battle? Are our military geniuses that good?

BQ78
AG
Winfield Scott
BQ78
AG
Oh and Washington was a terrible tactical commander. He learned on the job and very slowly, his organization of the intelligence capabilities of his army was terrible, despite what the show Turn may say. To say otherwise means someone has not followed his career close enough. Still, he was still the right man for the job as a general and president.
45-70Ag
AG
Since Patton was there with the Carthaginians, I'd start with him.
BQ78
AG
For a more modern entry how about Norman Schwarzkopf.
Sapper Redux
It kind of depends on what you need them to do. A single battle or a campaign or a war?

If it's at the operational or strategic level then you could say Greene, Scott, Grant, Sherman, Nimitz, Eisenhower, and Abrams are among the greatest in history.

Tactical? Benjamin Church, Lee, Grant, Patton, and MacArthur were excellent.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I would of course say Generals Patton and Schwarzkopf, but I will also throw out another name.

Admiral Bill Halsey. While he may not attain the level of greatness that others have throughout history, I will contend that he was exactly the right man for the job in the South Pacific. He was well known due to his availability to news reporters - he was not aloof or standoff-ish as was someone like Ernest King. He was great for morale in a time when the myth of the invincibility of the Jap soldier was prevalent through his various quotes that got filtered back to the troops, wherever they were. He is seen, I think, as a man who was impulsive and a damn-the-torpedoes-full-speed-ahead type, which really was not the case. He was actually a thoughtful, intelligent and forceful leader; he listened to his men, to their thoughts and objections, even from the enlisted men. He was bold but not reckless; he possessed a fine command of details, he saw the entire picture, and he weighed his decisions accordingly.

Some of his famous quotes:

"Kill Japs, kill Japs, and then kill more Japs"
"When we're done with them, the Japanese language will only be spoken in hell"
"When we get to Tokyo, where we're bound to get eventually, we'll have a little celebration where Tokyo was"
And another that I have not been able to locate again, although I read it in a book that I have: "We are perfectly willing to share the Pacific with the Japanese. We will take the top half and they can have the bottom"

Of course, he had the issue at Leyte Gulf where he fell for a decoy Jap fleet and left troops not under his command exposed. That was a major issue, and should keep him off this list, but even given that failure, I still feel he was the right man at the right time.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Stonewall Jackson.
45-70Ag
AG
MacArthr, although I'm slightly hesitant to name him
Nathan Bedford Forrest
Petreus

The Original AG 76
AG
JEB Stuart. his tactics were the precursor of modern " fast moving" cavalry movements.
Rabid Cougar
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

JEB Stuart. his tactics were the precursor of modern " fast moving" cavalry movements.
And his antics blinded the ANV at a most critical time.
JR69
AG
MacArthur's pathetic response to Pearl Harbor in preparing for an obviously imminent attack on the Philippines disqualifies him from the list. Even Inchon doesn't make up for that.

USAF General Chuck Horner's planning and execution of the air campaign at the onset of Desert Storm ought to put him in consideration.
BQ78
AG
Only did what Lee gave him the latitute to do, he just had some bad luck getting caught on the other side of the AoP but he obeyed his orders.

Still rank him behind Forrest and Hampton for military genius
Eliminatus
AG
JR69 said:

MacArthur's pathetic response to Pearl Harbor in preparing for an obviously imminent attack on the Philippines disqualifies him from the list. Even Inchon doesn't make up for that.

USAF General Chuck Horner's planning and execution of the air campaign at the onset of Desert Storm ought to put him in consideration.

Agreed. MacArthur should never be forgiven for how he bungled the Philippines so terribly. If Japan was not rolling us back everywhere and senior commanders were not at a premium he should have been relieved at once. But he was what we had to work with I guess.
The Original AG 76
AG
Eliminatus said:

JR69 said:

Agreed. MacArthur should never be forgiven for how he bungled the Philippines so terribly. If Japan was not rolling us back everywhere and senior commanders were not at a premium he should have been relieved at once. But he was what we had to work with I guess.

Dugout Doug presided over the greatest military defeat and surrender in US history. His opening stages were grounds alone for retirement and possible court marshal . His SWPA campaign were way too personal and ego driven and in many respects a waste of resources in a crusade to not just defeat the japs but to defeat Adms King and Nimitz. His co-opting of every ounce of achievement by his subordinates was absolutely juvenile and disgusting. He was damn lucky to have some of the finest field commanders in the entire war serving under him who were able to execute his ego driven strategy with amazing vigor and success.
Our American Ceasar was probably needed as a PR prop for the home front and , for this, he deserves praise however as a great military mind ...ehhhh
Rabid Cougar
AG
BQ78 said:

Only did what Lee gave him the latitute to do, he just had some bad luck getting caught on the other side of the AoP but he obeyed his orders.

Well not exactly. It was Stuart's plan to make the raid to which Lee gave his approval. His ego was bruised by Brandy Station and Upperville. He had to do something spectacular to regain his "glory". Doing another "ride around the enemy" was the thing to do.
JR69
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

Eliminatus said:

JR69 said:

Dugout Doug presided over the greatest military defeat and surrender in US history. His opening stages were grounds alone for retirement and possible court marshal . His SWPA campaign were way too personal and ego driven and in many respects a waste of resources in a crusade to not just defeat the japs but to defeat Adms King and Nimitz. His co-opting of every ounce of achievement by his subordinates was absolutely juvenile and disgusting. He was damn lucky to have some of the finest field commanders in the entire war serving under him who were able to execute his ego driven strategy with amazing vigor and success.
Our American Ceasar was probably needed as a PR prop for the home front and , for this, he deserves praise however as a great military mind ...ehhhh
There is very little difference in the actions of Admiral H.E. Kimmel, General W.C. Short prior to the Pearl Harbor attack and MacArthur prior to the Dec 8 attacks on the Philippines. Kimmel and Short had received vague warnings to be prepared for a potential attack and MacArthur received news of the actual attack. As important as the location of the Philippines was (and still is) it would have seemed to be common sense, much less "military genius" to expect that an attack on the Philippines would be imminent.

Both Pearl Harbor and Clark Field (and the other air bases in the Philippines) were devastated, leaving the defenders of the Philippines essentially without an air force of any strength. The outcome for the principals, however, was quite different. MacArthur was awarded a symbolic Medal of Honor, at the insistence of George C Marshall, for his "defense of the Philippines" and made into an American Hero. Kimmel and Short were fired, forced into retirement, and had their reputations destroyed.

I've been to the Philippines several times in the last few years and had several discussions with various folks about MacArthur, the Japanese invasion, the Bataan Death March, occupation, the battles to retake the Philippines, treatment and at least 2 successful missions to rescue the POWs. The Filipino people still regard MacArthur as a hero, and he is revered nearly as much as their official national heroes such as Jose Rizal, Andres Bonifacio, Emilio Aguinaldo, Gregorio del Pilar, and others. There are statues of him "everywhere". It is understandable from their point of view. But military genius? Not a chance.
BQ78
AG
Rabid:

You are buying into the lost cause mythology. Stuart had no intention of riding around the Federal army, he got cut off from Lee and had no other choice than to take the route he did and he was continuosuly trying to get back and running into resistance. Lee was never without cavalry he had the brigades of Robertson and Jones plus regiments attached to Second Corps. Stuart just makes a great scapegoats for the Jubal Earlys of the nineteenth century and to absolve Lee of the errors of the Gettysburg Campaign.
I Like Mike
AG
Washington was a mediocre battlefield commander save for Long Island and Trenton. But he was an excellent leader of men. He kept the Continental Army together against insurmountable odds both from England and the Continental Congress
Burrus86
AG
Hap Arnold
BQ78
AG
Caleb:

I wouldn't throw Long Island into the Washington's Greatest Hits album that was clearly a disaster for him. He got bailed out by his subordinates Glover, Stirling and Sullivan after leading the army into a disaster by not minding his flanks, which he did again at Brandywine (which lost Philadelphia). His greatest hits would include Trenton (only a one minute song and probably his best seller), Princeton (a two minute song) Monmouth (a three minute song) and Yorktown (a four minute song). Other than those, his record on the battlefield is pretty dismal. His greatest hours were off the battlefield at Valley Forge and Morristown.
I Like Mike
AG
I only include Long Island because of the retreat that saved the Continental Army right under the nose of the British. And yes Yorktown should have been in my list too.
BQ78
AG
Fair enough, but I attribute that more to the subordinates I named and Gage pausing too long.
CanyonAg77
AG
So how about military geniuses of other sorts? People like Billy Mitchell, Rickover, and Aggie, Bernard Shiever? They didn't lead armies into battle, but the doctrines and technologies they fostered were critical to our current world military dominance.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
If you're going to take that approach, then I think John Boyd has to be considered.
thach
AG
I wouldn't put Halsey in the mix as an American military genius, but I'd put Nimitz in there.

And I'd add John Smith "Jimmy" Thach to the list as well (obviously!).

He developed the beam defense position, which he proved under the most difficult circumstances imaginable at Midway over the Japanese Mobile Force. If he would have had F6Fs or F4Us instead of F4Fs, he might have helped saved VT-3. Jimmy Flatley "verified" the beam defense position at Santa Cruz, and dubbed it the Thach Weave. In the training command, Thach helped teach it to countless aviators, whose life it saved (navy and marines, both).

In 1944, with the advent of the kamikaze attacks, he developed the Big Blue Blanket as McCain's ops officer, protecting the Third Fleet from kamikazes (I wonder how Fifth Fleet would have fared off Okinawa if Mitscher would have allowed Flatley to implement it).

Off Korea, he helped VMF-214 with its CAS missions as CO USS Sicily (CVE-118).

Then later in the Cold War, he helped develop ASW tactics against Soviet subs.

He was as versatile as they come, and solved some tremendous problems in his day.
jickyjack1
BQ78 said:

Still rank him behind Forrest and Hampton for military genius

I'm glad to see your assessment of Forrest. I wanted to put him forward but am not as much a "wall-to-wall" authority as some of you fellows.

I do have some knowledge of Forrest; enough that I would seriously ask if any know of a commensurately (non)educated -- he spelled phonetically; it was intelligible, but atrocious -- soldier comparable to Forrest?

It is not going too far, is it, to declare him an unquestioned genius in the operational tactics of close battle? And would his lack of military education -- ANY military education other than that gained "in the saddle" (at which his greatest detractor would have to admit him an effective prodigy despite his age) qualify him for consideration as the greatest natural battle field commander in, possibly, North American history? And while he never had scope to demonstrate large scale strategic genius, he proved himself equal to every challenge and every rank through four years of savagely intense battle; literally hundreds of actions; "every rank" meant literally as he rose from private to lieutenant general. The Confederacy had (iirc) no higher field rank. Who is to say what his limitations were?

I've read that for many years Forrest's victory at Brice's Crossroads was considered and taught at West Point as the definitive "small army" action of the Civil War. Forrest routed a much superior enemy, and it was not the only time.

Posters familiar with Forrest will appreciate that not pages but chapters are required to recount just part of his remarkable -- scarcely believable, really -- life.

But to the point, do others beside BQ (authoritatively) and I (humbly) and Irish Man, who was first to cite him, believe Forrest worthy of the appellation "genius"?
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
jickyjack1
The best biography I have read of him was Nathan Bedford Forrest by Jack Hurst. The cover blurb reads: "The irrefutable military record of an acknowledged tactical genius ... the most complete and complex portrait yet of the Civil War Jeckyll and Hyde." -- The Chicago Tribune

It is available at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

I envy you on preparing to learn of Forrest for the first time. You will find little to love (or to hate: Forrest just was) but an almost neverending succession of life-events -- military and otherwise -- at which to be amazed. If convenient, I'd be interested to know what you think.

jickyjack1
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
jickyjack1
I look forward to hearing.

Add -- I don't know where the Jeckyll and Hyde reference in the blurb came from. In many years of reading and re-reading about Forrest, that is a comparison that never remotely occurred to me.

The only justification I can imagine would be the instantaneous transformation from the "normal" -- I have no idea what that word in relation to Forrest represented -- man to, when inflamed, a flushed demon of war occasionally as dangerous to friends as to foes.

So maybe it does fit.
jickyjack1
VanZandt92
Nathanael Greene. Daniel Morgan.
VanZandt92
those of you who don't think Washington a military genius may need to look at all facets of the campaigns he was in.
Aggiefan#1
AG
Maroon Stormtrooper said:

Are US military geniuses on par with those from the ancient past? Who would you say the US military geniuses are? For example Carthage had Hannibal, Macedon had Phillip II and Alexander the Great, and Rome had many (including Scipio Africanus, Caesar, etc.).

I'm thinking US Military had dozens of military geniuses. These include: George Washington, Grant, Robert E. Lee (Confederate), Sherman, David Farragut... I could go on for a while. What do you think? Are our military geniuses on par with military geniuses of the ancient past?

I guess with our larger population to pull from, better education, access to military history and the military academies that the US spits out more military geniuses than empires of the past.

Hypothetically, if you were to shove George Washington (or any of our other great US commanders) in a time machine and send him back to October 18th, 202 BC to take command of the Carthaginians the day before the Battle of Zama could he win the battle? Are our military geniuses that good?

Belasarius was no Roman pushover either. He did it for a long time too. Persia to Africa and Rome and back again for good measure.
Restco
Halsey had charisma but he wasn't in the same league with Nimitz or Raymond Spruance as a thinker and planner. The real genius of the Pacific Theater was Spruance. He was the one who developed and ran the plan that made the strategy successful. He created and ran the operation to invade the Marianas which led to the demise of Japanese carrier air power and gave LeMay bases for the B29s.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.