Happy Juneteenth

3,298 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CanyonAg77
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

More from Texas General Land Office, via Medium.com
libertyag
AG
Strange how things have changed what with so many now being supported in idleness.
Sapper Redux
Wow.
The Original AG 76
AG
libertyag said:

Strange how things have changed what with so many now being supported in idleness.

looks like the yankee general had a premonition of the eventual inevitable outcome....
Sapper Redux
So your first reaction is to applaud a racist trope by appealing to a modern racist trope?
BQ78
AG
They tore down the house and the put up a parking lot.

*Little nod to Joni Mitchell*

Boy this thread went south real quick.
Martin Cash
AG
Does 'cultural appropriation' prevent us from celebrating this day?
Apache
AG
Quote:

He made no mention of race in his reply & I hope he meant "so many people of all colors" being supported in idleness. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt...
Sapper Redux
The author of the original article wasn't. Lazy blacks was a huge racist belief and a justification for slavery in many quarters.
BQ78
AG
Granger said Freedman so he was obviously only referring to blacks so it is a racist statement, that should he have or had a statue or bust of him posted in a public place it ought to come down. But he probably anticiapated that and so he does not have a statue or bust that I can think of even on any of the battlefields he fought on.
Apache
AG
I was referencing the post by libertyag, not the clipping from the general.
CanyonAg77
AG
I found it odd that they proclamation bothered to mention idleness. If you were a black person in 1865 Texas, idleness would result in starvation.

And frankly, I posted this because it's an interesting bit of Texas history. Those making it a racism thread, on either side, can (fornicate) themselves.
libertyag
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

I found it odd that they proclamation bothered to mention idleness. If you were a black person in 1865 Texas, idleness would result in starvation.

Exactly. At that time everyone (black, white, yellow, red, brown) who wanted to eat worked or, if unable to work, got assistance from family or friends. I cannot imagine many people being idle back then. Today, millions of people are idle and are taken care of by the government (out tax dollars). We now reward idleness.

Although I doubt there is any way to find out, I would love to know his thoughts as to why he mentioned idleness. Perhaps it was a fear of people just hanging out doing nothing (temporarily) as the transition took place and the intent was for people to find a job.
BQ78
AG
Reading between the lines he was telling them don't look to the Federal government to take care of you or provide you jobs now that we don't need you any more. Throughout the war, the Freedmen found jobs mostly through the Federal Government. A freedman in most cases during the war was either going to be a soldier or a laborer supporting the army or some Federal infrastructure project.
Sapper Redux
libertyag said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Exactly. At that time everyone (black, white, yellow, red, brown) who wanted to eat worked or, if unable to work, got assistance from family or friends. I cannot imagine many people being idle back then. Today, millions of people are idle and are taken care of by the government (out tax dollars). We now reward idleness.

Although I doubt there is any way to find out, I would love to know his thoughts as to why he mentioned idleness. Perhaps it was a fear of people just hanging out doing nothing (temporarily) as the transition took place and the intent was for people to find a job.

Because it was a racist belief from the time (and still occasionally brought up) that black people tend to idleness if they are not forced to work. There's no reading between the lines. Those were the assumptions. Political cartoons that attacked Reconstruction often used the imagery of lazy black people living off of the work of white people.
libertyag
AG
Dr. Watson said:

libertyag said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Because it was a racist belief from the time (and still occasionally brought up) that black people tend to idleness if they are not forced to work. There's no reading between the lines. Those were the assumptions. Political cartoons that attacked Reconstruction often used the imagery of lazy black people living off of the work of white people.
I am not able to read his mind. Just find it odd to read about idleness in 1865, a time when I don't imagine too many could be idle and live, whereas today there are so many idle people.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2015/cb15-97.html

Quote:

The black population: At 41.6 percent, blacks were more likely to participate in government assistance programs in an average month.
o The black participation rate was followed by Hispanics at 36.4 percent, Asians or Pacific
Islanders at 17.8 percent, and non-Hispanic whites at 13.2 percent.

Are we allowed to observe statistics or is that racist? Liberty's post was spot on, and pretending that there is not a problem with government dependency amongst the descendants of the freedmen does no one any favors.

Edited to say I intended an eye roll not smiley face.
Sapper Redux
What percentage of those people are of working age, not disabled, and still not working at all? Needing public assistance is not the same as being idle.
CS78
Still a large problem in African nations. Read personal accounts from modern day Congo and there are close comparisons to the descendants here. Even after a couple hundred years of separation.
aggie7911
I chose not to celebrate this month
Rongagin71
AG
I've been to a few Juneteenth celebrations at what used to be called Town Lake in Austin.
Still haven't seen a Ramadan celebration in person.
BanderaAg956
Dr. Watson said:

libertyag said:

CanyonAg77 said:

I'm sure Chicago and Detroit don't support the theory of idleness when people on join gangs or hang out along the road drinking beer doing nothing all day long waiting on a government check to buy more beer and bullets!
BanderaAg956
I've celebrated the day for the past 36 years. My anniversary!!! I've been in the Middle East to a Ramadan feast at night!
tmaggies
AG
Watson you are such a clueless liberal......
Sapper Redux
tmaggies said:

Watson you are such a clueless liberal......
Take it to the politics board. This kind of brilliant analysis belongs there.
tmaggies
AG
Your liberal and what you think intellectual analysis belongs someplace else also. If your in fact PHDed and teach....lord help your students.
RPag
You shouldn't be so emotional. Try making some points to argue your opinion. Although it appears that you have nothing of value to add so maybe you should leave the table while you are only slightly behind.
Sapper Redux
tmaggies said:

Your liberal and what you think intellectual analysis belongs someplace else also. If your in fact PHDed and teach....lord help your students.

I've met a lot of folks who make similar arguments. They all seem to confuse philosophy and history. History doesn't care what your partisan philosophy is or believes. It has happened and should be analyzed. If you actually care about history, then you won't get pissy if it doesn't reinforce your personal beliefs and will go where the evidence leads. Conservative political beliefs are not always right and are not always borne out by history. Accept it and learn from it. Leave the pissing and moaning about who I am and what I believe on another forum.
JonSnow
kkk
tmaggies
AG
Your right and I am wrong so leaving the dinner table....
CanyonAg77
AG
kberma2009 said:

kkk
Total bullcrap.
JonSnow
CanyonAg77 said:

kberma2009 said:

kkk
Total bullcrap.
Actually it pegs you to a T.
CanyonAg77
AG
kberma2009 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

kberma2009 said:

kkk
Total bullcrap.
Actually it pegs you to a T.
Ah, you claim I'm a closet racist, who feels free to be open about it, now that Trump is president.

Why don't you go fornicate yourself.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.