Bomber experts

1,812 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by titan
Mr. Popo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can anyone identify this plane judging by the pic? Unfortunately this is The only one I have. The pilot was my granddad' s cousin. Maybe a B 26 Marauder?

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac21/mrfart/20170615_131946_zpsak1omkzb.jpg

Mr. Popo
PS sorry/you're welcome for the tatas. It's cold up there at 20,000 feet.
74OA
AG
C-46?
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Based on the location of the hatch, I'm gonna go C-47.
Mr. Popo
I just figured it was a bomber since the nose art says Earthquake Special.
BQ78
AG
Rule 1 Compliance noted, good post rook!
GasAg90
It is a nice airplane.

that's what kind it is.
titan
S

Nice lines. ;-)

I will ask some of the aircraft mavens -- if we had just a bit more of the windows, but there are some that mail be sure just from what see here. The age of the photo is another clue. For an expert, the id would actually be easy since the name `Earthquake Special' is prominent. I wonder if it is related to bunker bombing. Heavy ordnance use in the European theater. We will see.
CanyonAg77
AG
First, Photobucket freaking sucks. The ads have ruined that site.

Second, I don't think it's a C-46. It doesn't have that distinctive "seam" where the hupper hull and lower hull join, though the paint scheme sort of makes it look like one.

Thirs, a B-26 does not have a door just aft of the cockpit like that photo

I'll agree with the DC-3 / C-47 cargo destination. Round fuselage, faired door hinges (as opposed to flush on C-46) Top of door even with bottom of cockpit window, the rivet patterns, etc.

CanyonAg77
AG
NormanAg
AG
I agree with Maximus and Canyon that it is a C-47. For one thing, the angle that the nose of the plane is tilting indicates it is a tail dragger as opposed to a tri-cycle gear airplane. The only major bomber we had that was a trail dragger was the B-17 - and that ain't no B-17. And the nose of the C-46 was totally different.

74OA
AG
C-47. Hatch and hinges does it.
gigemhilo
AG
Definitely C47
GasAg90
Recently being up close to one it does look like a C-47
Mr. Popo
Awesome. Thanks everyone.
titan
S
Norman,

Yes, there seems no doubt at all now, especially given the quality of angle of the one CanyonAg found to compare. Nearly identical -- when you compare the fastens and various small features of the seams of the nose, even the small slant of glass degree in the cockpit --- everything fits.

Another point is they are both "specials" ---it could be coincidence, but it is very tempting to assume a squadron relationship and pattern. Since ID is set, will just see if any air masters I know know the unit.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.