USS Texas

7,651 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JR69
AustinAg2K
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ChiliBeans said:

JABQ04 said:

Wish they'd put donation boxes at HEB or Krogers and try to get donations that way. If everyone in the state gave $1 then we'd be in damn good shape
We had a big regional recycling drive to donate aluminum cans for it when I was a kid.

*I'm not from Baytown, this is just what I found when I searched. From 1987.

As a kid, I thought they were going to melt the cans down or something and add them to the ship, but it looks like the cash value of the scrap was donated.
My 5th grade class at Millsap Elementary in Cypress spearheaded the campaign to save the Texas back in 87/88. We took a field trip there and saw it was in such disrepair and decided to do something about it. We wrote letters to every school in the state requesting the kids donate cans and quarters to help raise money for the repair. I still remember "Two Bits for Texas!" was our slogan. We ended up raising enough money that state and federal government decided that they should kick in, too. We got invited to the Capitol and got to meet a bunch of politicians I had never heard of. My teacher, Ms. Johnson, got some award from the Navy or something, too. At the time it was all really cool. It's sad to see that the ship is in such disrepair again.
MouthBQ98
AG
I went to millsap, and my Aggie siblings did also. Mrs. Johnson was the 5th grade G&T class teacher, right?
JR69
AG
Seems to me if Muskogee Oklahoma can acquire, build a dedicated slip on the Arkansas River, and maintain the USS Batfish, which has no real connection to Oklahoma, the State of Texas could do better by the battleship named for the state.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.