June 6, 1862 Destruction of the Confederate Fleet on the Mississippi

1,139 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by titan
BQ78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First Battle of Memphis, give the navy their due

tmaggies
AG
Not my Navy at the time......
The Original AG 76
AG
tmaggies said:

tragic day
Sapper Redux
The US Navy acquitted itself very well during the war. Their river borne operations were very well executed.
titan
S

Quote:

Sure it is (since you were not at that time), depending on one's worldview. It was my navy as much as Augustus's at Actium (or Antony's) is, Europe at Lepanto, or the acheivements of the CSS Albermarle, or Nelson at Trafalgar, the British in tracking Bismarck, the Japanese first phase operations conquering all southwest Pacific, the US Navy at Midway and Guadalcanal, right up to the heroic successful logistics marvel of bringing USS Cole home from the Middle East, and on in on in an endless list.

In other words --- it all is yours if you study and learn of it --- if merit and deeds are your compass, and not ideology and hue. It is one of the reasons I am an implacable anti-Leftist Regressive. The very opposite of their identity politics and cultural appropriation mindset.

All human history is a shared inheritance, or can be, and should be learned from and inspiration drawn from, not put on trial. Leave that to hyper Regressives like ISIS and those emulating such actions regarding historical deeds and works.

On the subject, the fact is the Union Navy's achievements on the Rivers are matched only in ingenuity and courage by their opponents in the Confederate fleet. No one even mildly interested in the topic can fail to become engrossed in the drama of the river war and the challenges the Union "pook turtles" and `tinclads' faced and the Confederates' efforts to build `battle deciding' quality ironclads in placeas like cornfields and on river banks from some of the most meager of resources.

Both navies produced some of the big names and heroic figures in naval history overall.

The new century thing to do would have been to take advantage of this incredible information age of bridging of language barriers to appreciate all the past's lessons and inspirations alike.

I reject the actual 21st C approach we got and squandering of the spirit and potential of 1999.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.