Seventy-five years ago right now...

4,829 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by thach
thach
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
three Japanese aircraft carriers (Soryu, Akagi, and Kaga) were aflame after being set upon by VB-3, VB-6, and VS-6, respectively. VF-3 and VT-3 were pursuing Hiryu at the moment as well.
GasAg90
I was just thinking how ironic it was that the turning point in the pacific war was 6 months after entry. (I acknowledge there was a whole lot more sacrifice needed but sinking four carriers early reset the balance). For comparison we hadn't made a meaningful move (probably not able) in the Europe first strategy.

God bless the torpedo bombers.
CanyonAg77
AG
And an Aggie was in the water, watching them burn....

(If I have the timeline correct)
thach
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

You do!
dcbowers
AG

On June 4, 1942, the Japanese Imperial Navy attacked United States forces on the island of Midway. With four Japanese aircraft carriers sunk by the conclusion of the conflict, the battle was the first major victory for the US in the Pacific. But victory did not come without cost. More than 300 Americans lost their lives during the Battle of Midway, including all but one member of the bomber group Torpedo Squadron 8. Two films made by Oscar-winning director John Ford, now preserved at the National Archives, tell the story of triumph and sacrifice at Midway.

The Battle of Midway is perhaps only nominally a documentary, with several sequences featuring fictitious families back home framing five minutes of battle footage, but audiences who saw the film may have had their first dramatic glimpse of what it meant for the country to be at war. The Battle of Midway was released to theaters by September of 1942 and was screened in most of the nation's theaters at a time when Americans had a regular movie-going habit. It is likely that The Battle of Midway was seen by nearly everyone who had access to a movie theater.

While The Battle of Midway was seen by nearly everyone on the home front, Torpedo Squadron 8 was made solely for the families of the lost Squadron members. On the day the attack began, Kenneth Pier was shooting footage on the deck of USS Hornet. Soon after, the men of Torpedo Squadron 8 (VT-8) were the first to fight the enemy, flying unaccompanied toward Japanese forces. When it became clear that twenty-nine of the thirty men of VT- 8 died during the battle, Ford identified and assembled footage of the airmen into a simple but poignant film. Torpedo Squadron 8 is a film memorial that shows the men mugging for the camera and posing beside their planes, unaware that they had only hours left to live.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GasAg90
Little known fact that John Ford was wounded during the battle of Midway.
Rabid Cougar
AG
With big brass balls, lots of skill, and a hell of a lot of luck.
Rabid Cougar
AG

Rabid Cougar
AG
Rabid Cougar
AG
Rabid Cougar
AG
Rabid Cougar
AG

Hiyru
Rabid Cougar
AG
Just an FYI. The Imperial Japanese Navy never addressed their ship with a prefix such as U.S.S or HMS.
they were simply "Hiryu" or "Akagi" .
dcbowers
AG
Question about the images above: I remember reading that the reason the American dive bombing attacks were so destructive was that the Japanese were exchanging bombs for torpedos and had been planes full of aviation fuel. The images above suggest that there were few planes on the flight decks and it was the bombs that caused all the destruction. Which is it?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Skinner1998
AG
There were few planes actually on the flight decks at the time of the attack. The Japanese Navy loaded the bombs and often fueled the planes in the hangar deck. There were a lot of fueled and armed planes in the hangar deck directly below the flight deck.
CanyonAg77
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

Given the technology of the time, I'm impressed with all of the bombing patterns you posted.
Rabid Cougar
AG
dcbowers said:

Question about the images above: I remember reading that the reason the American dive bombing attacks were so destructive was that the Japanese were exchanging bombs for torpedos and had been planes full of aviation fuel. The images above suggest that there were few planes on the flight decks and it was the bombs that caused all the destruction. Which is it?
I am thinking the planes are represented for scale.
Rabid Cougar
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Rabid Cougar said:

Given the technology of the time, I'm impressed with all of the bombing patterns you posted.
The Dauntless' were releasing their bombs between 2,000 and 1,500 feet. They were literally right on top of the carriers when they pulled out.
GasAg90
Nice work putting bombs on target. Pretty impressive.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Skinner98 said:

There were few planes actually on the flight decks at the time of the attack. The Japanese Navy loaded the bombs and often fueled the planes in the hangar deck. There were a lot of fueled and armed planes in the hangar deck directly below the flight deck.
This. The Japs also lacked the systems we had in place for fire-suppression, and if I recall right, their fuel delivery systems were also quite vulnerable. We caught them at the exact right moment and laid waste to these carriers. Read "Shattered Sword" for an excellent depiction of the entire battle and for a very descriptive account of the destruction of those four carriers.
libertyag
AG
Rabid Cougar, thanks for posting the images showing where the ships were hit. Noticed a couple of our guys hit two different ships. Pretty impressive.
Rabid Cougar
AG
libertyag said:

Rabid Cougar, thanks for posting the images showing where the ships were hit. Noticed a couple of our guys hit two different ships. Pretty impressive.
It obviously would have been two separate sorties.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Where is titan? He is co-author of Shattered Sword, one of the best Midway books ever written. We should enlist his significant insights on the details of the battle as well as the Japanese political and military issues that led to the decision to attack Midway, despite the near total lack of good military reasons to do so and several military reasons to not do so.

Fascinating "what if" scenarios.
SRBS
"Shattered Sword" is a tremendous read
dcbowers
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

libertyag said:

It obviously would have been two separate sorties.

Still, how many pilots can claim to have sunk two Japanese carriers.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Norman Jack "Dusty" Kleiss. He has a new book out. "Never Call Me a Hero". Ne died in 2016.
E-book
Skinner1998
AG
This looks interesting, just ordered it.

I second the above comments, Shattered Sword is a great book. I didn't realize Titan was one of the co-authors.
SRBS
His book on Surigao Strait is pretty much nails also
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Titan is quite the treasure. He needs to get in here and educate us some more on Midway.
titan
S

Hahah. You are selling yourselves short. Dcbowers and Skinner98's posts were very good in explaining things, some of the complexities, and what has been learned. And frankly, Rabid Cougar's posts are amazing renditions --- I had not seen color versions of the diagrams showing the hits, and with the pilots claim assigned to each. Dusty Kleiss's claim was able to largely verify from Japanese records.

By the way, Rabid Cougar mentioned Dusty Kleiss' book. Second that strongly - For any who care about this, buy it at once. The personal perspective story from the 40's, the often humorous moments of squadron training and rivalries are matched only by the "you are in the cockpit" quality of description of flying the Dauntless. Even the unfolding of his personal life worked around the war's outbreak is touching.
Cruiser87
AG
Already have "Shattered Sword." Now, I get to buy another book.
titan
S
Quote:

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

You do!
Yes. And what is interesting is Ensign Gay had mentioned seeing the carrier closest to him then scuttled close to sunset, apparently by gunfire. This had always been dismissed, but it now seems almost certain that Kaga and Soryu (one of which is what he was likely near) were indeed torpedoed and scuttled at sunset. At that distance assuming gunfire would be just as easy as torpedoes. The main point is it held true.

thach, there is irony in this thread, as your own handle (whatever it came from?) was a name of a very important guy at Midway too, "Jimmy" Thach of Yorktown's fighter squadron had come up with a tactic to help defeat the Japanese Zeros in dogfights, called the Thach Weave.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Told Ya we needed some titan !!
Blackhorse83
AG
I happened to attend the 75th Anniversary ceremonies held on the USS Midway in San Diego bay on Monday. It was quite an experience. There were 6 veterans of the battle present. One was 102 years old. The Chief of Naval Operations gave the keynote. He spoke of how it wasn't luck that won the day but a series of key decisions and actions made by individual leaders that when combined allowed us to emerge victorious. I've never tried to attach anything on Texags so I hope you can read his comments.

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/people/cno/Richardson/Speech/CNO_RemarksBattleofMidwayCommemoration.pdf
CanyonAg77
AG
Good talk, and I never knew that about the submarine Nautilus
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.