Father/son D.C. Trip

4,671 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OverSeas AG
valvemonkey91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My son just graduated high school. I am taking him on a history tour before I send him to the wilds of academia,( He starts A&M in fall and will be in A-Batt). We are driving to D.C. and have good handle of what to do and see there as I have been many times.
I made a post similar like this a while back on the travel board, but the time frame has changed. I am looking for advice on civil war sites that we can visit to and from D.C. We leave Texas on June 18 and need to be in DC late on the 21st. Was hoping to visit some sites (Confederate victories) on way there and hit Appomattox and Lexington on way back. Any ideas?
Spotsylvania? Chancellorsville? Manassas? Which ones are "better" and by that I mean easy in/out and able to vision the battles. I have never been to any Civil War Battlefield. We plan to hit Gettysburg one day before returning home on or around July4. Thanks in advance.
74OA
AG
Sounds like you've got a pretty good list. I'd definitely add Antietam and a visit to Harper's Ferry as well. Both very easy to hit going to or from your trip to Gettysburg......

Antietam
Harpers Ferry
Oogway
Might be off your route, but Wilson's Creek is a good one to see...
Rabid Cougar
AG
Depends on which way you go.

I-20/85/95 Vicksburg,(right off i-20) Petersburg, Drewery's Bluff and Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville (all right off -95) for sure.

I-40/81/66 Franklin, Tn and then the entire Shenandoah Valley, Manassas.
valvemonkey91
AG
We will be on I-20. Which battlefields/sites do you recommend? We have time for 1
Rabid Cougar
AG
valvemonkey91 said:

We will be on I-20. Which battlefields/sites do you recommend? We have time for 1
Petersburg and go to Pamplin Park too.

http://pamplinpark.org/

Liquid Wrench

Quote:

a visit to Harper's Ferry as well.
Absolutely beautiful, though it is some additional driving.
Rabid Cougar
AG
74OA said:

Sounds like you've got a pretty good list. I'd definitely add Antietam and a visit to Harper's Ferry as well. Both very easy to hit going to or from your trip to Gettysburg......
As is Ball's Bluff at Leesburg. One of the smallest ACW battlefields there is.
74OA
AG
Depending on your route to DC and back to Texas, Chickamauga in far northern Georgia was a major Confederate victory and is worth a stop.

MORE
Sapper Redux
Chickamauga was beautiful, but if you're there you might as well finish the campaign and hit Missionary Ridge as well.
AEK
AG
If you go to Gettysburg, from D.C., stop at Monocacy Junction on your way there or your way home. It is in Frederick, right off of I-270 (the highway runs right through the battlefield). You can see everything in about an hour from the museum to the self guided tour stops.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Not ACW, but Monticello is about 3 hrs from DC and well worth the trip and you can hit sime ACW battlefields on the way there and back. If you go to ACW, register ahead in the website and do the behind the scenes tour. Awesome!

Also, Williamsburg is still one of the coolest places I've seen for American history.

Finally, Gettysburg is simply magical. Call ahead and reserve a personal tour guide. They will jump in the car with you and take you around and get out and walk the battlefield with you. Done it twice. Only way to do it.
valvemonkey91
AG
Thanks for the replies! I think we are set. On way up will hit Stone Mountain then Chancellorsville. Spend a week in D.C. seeing Smithsonians, mall, Arlington, Holocaust Museum, Dulles, Mt Vernon and I got tickets for a White House tour. Then drive to Gettysburg and get a guide. Will head home and hit Appomattox then Lexington. The final stretch home will be a stop in New Orleans to see the WWII museum. Pleas continue to add ideas. Thanks.
tunefx
AG
Monticello, as mentioned above, is a great suggestion.

I've lived in the DC area for 27 years. Favorite visits by family and friends are the following. Your list would be included. These are additional.

Memorials: almost everyone prefers these at night
WWII
Jefferson
Lincoln
Roosevelt
Vietnam

Museums:
Spy Museum
Newseum
Garber Air & Space (probably what you meant by Dulles)

Other:
National Cathedral

Note on the Newseum. The first time I was "dragged" to this museum I was a bit put off. Then I went in. It is now my favorite and first stop for all visitors of any age or demographic. Very educational. Example, there is something really cool about reading the actual front page the day after Lincoln's assassination, the day after Pearl Harbor, or your birthday.

Feel free to PM me if needed.

Lastly, have some great walking shoes and use the Metro.

You guys are going to create memories that last a lifetime.
Rabid Cougar
AG
tunefx said:

Lastly, have some great walking shoes and use the Metro.

THIS for sure! No need for a car in downtown DC.
JABQ04
AG
What's day are you doing Gettysburg? Or have you decided. We're hitting it on the 29th of June. Be cool to meet an AG at Gettysburg
BQ78
AG
If you come back I-81 "up" the valley from Gettysburg stop at the New Market Battlefield too.
valvemonkey91
AG
That may be possible JABQ. still working out itinerary. I'll get back with you. Definitely want to get a personal guide.
74OA
AG
......and, as has been mentioned in other similar threads, you both should read "The Killer Angels" to get your minds right before touring Gettysburg. Classic
JABQ04
AG
Valve monkey, any chance your checking this? Headed to airport now and be in gettysburg tonight for touring tomm. Only get one day though, had some itinerary changes come up.
HollywoodBQ
AG
BQ78 said:

If you come back I-81 "up" the valley from Gettysburg stop at the New Market Battlefield too.
+1

It sounds like you're already on your journey but, if you're on I-81, I recommend stopping by VMI also. Especially if your son is going to be in the Corps of Cadets at A&M. It's summer school now but, a tour of the museum would be worthwhile plus getting a look at the barracks.
JABQ04
AG
Not to hijack the thread, but just finished a 5.7 mile run from Cemetery Ridge to Little Round Top, throug Devils Den and back again via the Wheatfiels. At 0545 the place is amazing. Not to mention it was like 65 degrees too . I'll try to figure out how to post pictures from my phone.

SRBS
Required reading is Gettysburg The Second Day by Pfanz
Rabid Cougar
AG
JABQ04 said:

Not to hijack the thread, but just finished a 5.7 mile run from Cemetery Ridge to Little Round Top, throug Devils Den and back again via the Wheatfiels. At 0545 the place is amazing. Not to mention it was like 65 degrees too . I'll try to figure out how to post pictures from my phone.

HA! I told you! It's an AWESOME run.
JABQ04
AG
Was not prepared for all the hills. Ha ha. But no humidity so I guess I came out ahead.
SRBS
Nobody shooting .58 caliber Minie balls or canister at ya was a plus too!
tallgrant
Spent this week hitting major sites in Virginia.

Chancellorsville is the gem of its park, but there are great things to see in Fredericksburg, The Wilderness and Spotsylvania. There's a Texas monument in the Wilderness, so watch for it.

If you go to Petersburg, be aware that the main visiotr center is currently closed due to AC issues. Five Forks was great, so was City Point.

Montpilier is 45 minutes from Monticello and was pretty good too.

Now to humble brag- I'm off to the sunset battle anniversary walk at Malvern Hill!
JABQ04
AG
Hitting The Wilderness and Spotsylvania tommorow on the way to Williamsburg.
Sapper Redux
SRBS said:

Pfanz is about as close as you can get to a minute-by-minute account of the battle. His work is also very useful for the first day, which can be quite confusing.
tallgrant
JABQ04 said:

Hitting The Wilderness and Spotsylvania tommorow on the way to Williamsburg.

The digging at the actual Jamestown is incredible to see. If you get there ask the rangers about the Starving Time.

Yorktown was pretty great too.
SRBS
Sapper, Pfanz also did one on Culp's and Cemetery Hill. It's the only great work on Culp's Hill that I've seen
Rabid Cougar
AG
Dr. Watson said:

SRBS said:

Pfanz is about as close as you can get to a minute-by-minute account of the battle. His work is also very useful for the first day, which can be quite confusing.
Worked with his son in the NPS back in the early 80's. I got the chance to meet him. That dude knew his Gettysburg.
Sapper Redux
Rabid Cougar said:

Dr. Watson said:

SRBS said:

Worked with his son in the NPS back in the early 80's. I got the chance to meet him. That dude knew his Gettysburg.

One of my happiest moments as a researcher was when I discovered a letter written by a member of the 11th NC on the evening of July 3, 1863. For those who don't know, the 11th was the sister regiment of the 26th NC and thus fought the Iron Brigade on the first day and took part in Pickett's Charge on the third day. That letter had never been seen by the Gettysburg rangers before and apparently made its way to Pfanz.
OldArmy71
AG
Very cool! What did the letter say?
Sapper Redux
The author was attached to an ambulance detachment for the campaign, so he related the extent of the casualties, but also that they expected to resume the attack on the 4th. He also relayed a few interesting rumors. Including the belief amongst Confederate rank-and-file that McClellan had been put back in charge of the AoP, which meant sure victory for them.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.