Timothy Snyder's Bloodlands

995 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ag_EQ12
RPag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just finished rereading Timothy Snyder's Bloodlands: Europe Between Hitler and Stalin and it may be the most influental history piece I have read in years. For those interested in Stalinism in Eastern Europe, the Holocaust or mass killing in general, I highly recommend it. Some incredible facts highlighted:

- More Soviet POWs died on any given day in late autumn and winter of 1941 than American and British POWs died during the entire war

- By the end of 1941, more than a million Jews had been killed in Poland, the Baltics, Belarus, Ukraine and Western Russian (almost all of them shot)

- Half, if not more, of the Jews killed during the Holocaust were shot and never saw the inside of a concentration camp or gas center

I found it incredible because I always pictured the holocaust as camps, railroads, a totalitarian government but it was far less centralized than that. I am also finishing his other book on the Holocaust, Black Earth: The Holocaust as History and Warning.
Has anyone else read Snyder's work or have other recommended readings on the holocaust?
terata
AG
Keep researching. You'll be absolutely blown away by what you discover.
RGV AG
AG
Very interesting and well written book. It was a very good explanation and view into a part of history that is just hard to fathom.
Ag_EQ12
AG
Yep, Bloodlands is a good read. I've assigned it in my grad seminars. He's come to A&M several times.

One of the best histories of the Holocaust is Raul Hilberg's The Destruction of the European Jews. It's big, but it covers nearly everything.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.