What historical figure/event would you want to see a "Blockbuster" movie about?

7,900 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by terata
Apache
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My top 5:

1. The Fall of the Byzantine Empire/Siege of Constantinople in 1453.

2. The Second Punic War. There have been some "made for television" type shows, but none do justice.

3. El Cid (Apologies to Charleton Heston, this needs updating)

4. Lewis & Clark expedition. I think HBO had this in development and it was shelved... damn shame.

5. John Wesley Hardin bio. Done before but it was pretty terrible.

Thoughts?

JABQ04
AG
Lewis and Clark expedition

The Franklin Expedition

The Overland Campaign of 1864

Henry V

Anything Napoleonic War

Also I think it's been approved or what not, but British movie on Pegasus Bridge is supposed to be in the works

SRBS
Agree on Napoleonic.
Eylau
Austerlitz
Borodino
Please.
Battle of Franklin 1864 Centered on the reb generals who perished there.
Rabid Cougar
AG
1. Lewis and Clark
2. 1806 Zebulon Pike Expedition
3. Cabeza de Vaca's journey from Florida to Mexico City in 1527
4. Coronado's Expedition through the Southwest.
5. The conquest of Afghanistan by 200 American SF
6. Battle of Medina Ridge
7. Battle of 73 Easting

Speaking of Afghanistan, I highly recommend watching the documentary/movie "The Hornets Nest". Covers Cougar Company of the 327th Inf Regiment, 101st Airborne Div. fight in Operation Strong Eagle III in the Kunar Valley in March 2011.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
1. The life of Julius Caesar but it would probably take a mini series. Maybe just Caesar in Gaul up until he crosses the Rubicon.

2. Cortez in Mexico.

3. Lewis and Clark

4. The book Blood Meridian is loosely based on historical events and I'd like to see that movie.
aalan94
AG
There was a crappy Napoleonic War movie back in the 60s or so. Did not watch it all, but I liked how they did the time from. It was the 100 days.

I think back up and start with Napoleon's first exile, then go through the 100 days and do a fade at the second exile.
Sapper Redux
1. US Grant. Man had a fascinating life and doesn't get the attention or respect he deserves

2. Bien Dien Phu

3. Antietam

4. A village drama set during the 30 Years War would be fascinating

5. Touissant Louverture is a pretty interesting, mysterious figure. Would make a great biopic.
BQ78
AG
aalan:

Are you talking about Waterloo with Rod Steiger as Napoleon, Christopher Plummer as Wellington and a cast of thousands of Soviet soldiers as the Army of the North and the Seventh Coalition

That was not a crappy movie and you need to see it if you haven't.
Rabid Cougar
AG
BQ78 said:

aalan:

Are you talking about Waterloo with Rod Steiger as Napoleon, Christopher Plummer as Wellington and a cast of thousands of Soviet soldiers as the Army of the North and the Seventh Coalition

That was not a crappy movie and you need to see it if you haven't.
1970. Awesome movie! 16,000 Soviet soldiers and an entire brigade of Soviet Cavalry.
ja86
AG
Waterloo is worth the watch just for the costuming.... would be awesome remastered or on a imax screen....
Quad Dog
AG
I think there are so many space stories out there, especially the early days.
  • Gagarin biopic (there is a Russian movie )
  • The story of Leonov's first EVA (another Russian movie )
  • Gus Grissom biopic
  • I've heard a Armstrong biopic is in the works, but he's not who I would choose.
JABQ04
AG
I'll throw my hat in with liking Waterloo. Seeing the charge of the British heavy cavalry with several thousand horses and riders and no CGI is something. The over head shots of the French cavalry riding amongst the British squares is amazing. Never see that anymore for movies. It's all CGI and green screens.
SRBS
The available version is only about 2 hours long. The original, when shown in Russia was 4 hours.
Sadly it seems no copies of it exist.
SRBS
It's got plenty of historical inaccuracies, but it's gobs of fun to watch
aalan94
AG
That might be it. I saw a little bit a long time ago.
Rabid Cougar
AG
JABQ04 said:

I'll throw my hat in with liking Waterloo. Seeing the charge of the British heavy cavalry with several thousand horses and riders and no CGI is something. The over head shots of the French cavalry riding amongst the British squares is amazing. Never see that anymore for movies. It's all CGI and green screens.
No CGI in this.

Scotts Greys Charge
JABQ04
AG
That was the movie I was referring too. Great movie as others have said. Love no CGI just thousands of men and horses.

I bought a print of Lady Butler's painting of the Scots Greys and its framed and in my living room (soon to be moved to the office).
Rabid Cougar
AG
JABQ04 said:

That was the movie I was referring too. Great movie as others have said. Love no CGI just thousands of men and horses.

I bought a print of Lady Butler's painting of the Scots Greys and its framed and in my living room (soon to be moved to the office).
I have this one

And this one

in my study
JABQ04
AG
Love then Rourkes Drift painting but want the 1st Texas at Antietam. Love Don Troiana's (sp) work.
Rabid Cougar
AG
I have this

this

and this

on the walls of my office at work.

I dare them to say anything about them.
SRBS
Sapper would think they are an abomination
BQ78
AG
So any war to kill the black man or keep him enslaved are "monumental" to you you dirty RACIST!!!!!!

I kid, I kid, I have Little Round Top signed by Trioani in my office and the Britain minitures for the 1st and 5th Texas depictions.
45-70Ag
AG
Nathan Hale
Washingtons Immortals
Boston massacre through end of revolution
Blanco Ag
AG
The life of Augustus Caesar
JABQ04
AG
I'm jealous

Also I would love see a movie about Jutland

And:
The Bismarck
Midway
and of course the Battle off Samar (a la Last stand of the Tin Can Sailors)
The Original AG 76
AG
JABQ04 said:

I'm jealous

And:
The Bismarck
Midway
The 1960 movie "Sink The Bismark" is one the best WW2 movies ever. Seems to be VERY accurate. Kenneth Moore is a very underrated actor that does a great job. Lots of great action using real naval assets instead of modern CGI stuff. I'm not sure that any new version could even come close to this one.

Of course " Midway" is widely acclaimed to be a fairly good flick with reasonable accuracy and an unreal cast. Don't see how you could beat that one either.
Sapper Redux
The Original AG 76 said:

JABQ04 said:

I'm jealous

And:
The Bismarck
Midway
The 1960 movie "Sink The Bismark" is one the best WW2 movies ever. Seems to be VERY accurate. Kenneth Moore is a very underrated actor that does a great job. Lots of great action using real naval assets instead of modern CGI stuff. I'm not sure that any new version could even come close to this one.

Of course " Midway" is widely acclaimed to be a fairly good flick with reasonable accuracy and an unreal cast. Don't see how you could beat that one either.

Meh. A better plot focused on the battle rather than a tacked-on father-son-Japanese girlfriend story and recreating the battle scenes versus the jarringly obvious use of WWII footage.
JABQ04
AG
Sink the Bismarck was and is still a great movie. Just would like to see a modern updated version. I think CGI done right could really add to the experience of it.

Same with Midway. Drop the love story and go more of a Tora Tora Tora direction and tell the sorry of the battle and its lead up. Again, CGI done right could really enhance things. Plus get whatever period aircraft and ships still working and use them. Can't beat the real thing.

I'm interested to see how much computer stuff is being used in Dunkirk. I know they gathered and used whatever actual equipment was available.
tmaggies
AG
Love to see a epic movie made from the book Empire of the Summer Moon and also on the life of Bigfoot Wallace.
Rabid Cougar
AG
Supposedly there is a movie/series on the scale of "BoB" and "The Pacific" about the 8th Air Force in the works.

Another conflict that would be good is the Falklands War.
BQ78
AG
The Dam Busters like Sink the Bismarck! is a great British WW2 film that supposedly is getting remade by Peter Jackson but he keeps pushing it off is favor of the Sci Fi genre that seems to make money for him.
JABQ04
AG
I've seen a movie starring Tom Hanks as a Brit destroyer captain in WWII is in the works too. No clue the backstory about it though
TheFirebird
AG
1. Kursk. Biggest tank battle in history.

2. Milvian Bridge, which kind of created European civilization.

3. Warsaw Uuprising. Largest resistance battle of the war.

4. Borodino and the aftermath, which broke Napoleon.

5. The siege of Vienna. The high water mark of Ottoman power and start of European dominance.
huisachel
Hermann ehrenberg's adventures in the revolt in Texas
plowboy1065
S
Rabid Cougar said:

1. Lewis and Clark
2. 1806 Zebulon Pike Expedition
3. Cabeza de Vaca's journey from Florida to Mexico City in 1527
4. Coronado's Expedition through the Southwest.
5. The conquest of Afghanistan by 200 American SF
6. Battle of Medina Ridge
7. Battle of 73 Easting

Speaking of Afghanistan, I highly recommend watching the documentary/movie "The Hornets Nest". Covers Cougar Company of the 327th Inf Regiment, 101st Airborne Div. fight in Operation Strong Eagle III in the Kunar Valley in March 2011.

Marked to remind myself
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.